William Green Update... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

William Green Update...

Moderator: Football Moderators

William Green Update...

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 03, 2004 7:24 pm

Nothing concerning the starting RB situation in Cleveland, but at least it's something, eh?

ESPN.com wrote:As he struggled to overcome his addictions, William Green missed football, his Cleveland teammates and the opulent life he once knew.

The Browns' troubled running back now feels lucky to have them all back.

"I definitely feel like a new man," Green said. "I feel very confident about my game. I feel like I have a new life and I'm going to take full advantage of it."

Green spoke with reporters Sunday after the Browns concluded their three-day minicamp. It was the first time Green has spoken publicly following months of personal turmoil that jeopardized his health, family and pro football future.

In the past seven months, Green was arrested for drunken driving, suspended by the NFL for violating its substance-abuse program and his girlfriend, the mother of his two daughters, has been accused of stabbing him in the back during a domestic dispute in his home.

He also spent three days in jail and went through rehab for alcohol abuse, making the former Boston College star wonder if he'd get another chance.

Green regrets how he allowed his life to spiral downward, and said he's committed to sobriety and making amends to those who have stood by him.

"I have a bright future and I owe a lot of people a lot, starting with the Browns," he said. "They stayed by my side the whole time - my teammates, family and all the fans. It's good to be back into the swing of things. I've got a lot of work to do, but I'm looking forward to doing it."

For a while, it appeared Green's days in Cleveland were over. The Browns weren't sure if the third-year back would be able to overcome his addictions. There also was speculation the team might release Green or trade him.

In the end, the Browns decided to give Green a second chance - one he's forever grateful for.

"It's just good to be back in the locker room," said Green, who because of league rules couldn't enter the Browns' training facility during his suspension last season. "I'm grateful that the team allowed me back. I'm looking forward to making it up to them."

He can repay the Browns by staying sober and fulfilling his obligation to the franchise that drafted him in the first round of the 2002 NFL draft.

Green's teammates want nothing more than that.

"It's his life. He just needs to go out, fulfill the obligation to himself and run the ball hard," defensive tackle Gerard Warren said. "He's ready to come back strong and bury all the baggage."

The Browns can only hope so.

Coach Butch Davis said he has observed a drastic change in Green, who rushed for 887 yards as a rookie and was on his way to a 1,000-yard season in 2003 before a series of setbacks that began with an Oct. 21 arrest for drunken driving and marijuana possession.

Green was convicted on the DUI charge and in February served three days in jail.

"I see a different kid," Davis said. "I see a guy who is a lot more serious. He knows there are things he needed to address and change. Sometimes people need a wake-up call. He's doing what he's supposed to do.

"Every single day that puts distance between what happened in the past. He's practicing hard. He's going to get a chance to write his own future."

Green wants to, and says he has matured enough that he won't slide back to bad habits. He insists he has a handle on his addictions.

"It was silly mistakes that led into other things," he said. "Nothing was intentional, but it was a mistake. I have a hold of it now. I know how to control it.

"I'll never put myself in that situation again."

Source: Browns RB Speaks After Mini-Camp
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JrcWy » Mon May 03, 2004 7:33 pm

Yeah, I read this the other day. Butch Davis really would like Green to succeed almost like its some personal victory for Butch. If he is cleaned up enough for mini camp, he could carve himself a size-able nitch in the running game this year. This could be another clouded RBBC going into the season assuming Green's physical abilities have not been impaired by alcohol, marijuana, or sandwich knife wounds. :-?
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Mon May 03, 2004 7:39 pm

Hurray for William Green news. RB sleeper of 2004!!
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Mon May 03, 2004 8:16 pm

JrcWY wrote:or sandwich knife wounds. :-?

lol, poor William ;-7
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Mon May 03, 2004 8:30 pm

This just put William Green's rank just ahead of William Hung.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Mon May 03, 2004 8:53 pm

awwchrist wrote:This just put William Green's rank just ahead of William Hung.

You kidding? I still have Hung ahead of him about 5 spots, just ahead of William Clinton.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 03, 2004 10:23 pm

To add to this crappy thread...

FFMastermind.com wrote:The Plain Dealer reports Browns RB Lee Suggs is not about to give up his starting job without a fight. "I'm a starting running back in the NFL and I've been dreaming about it since I was about 6," he said. "Now that I've got the chance, I'm going to do everything I can to keep it. Now I have the confidence I can do it."

Source: Suggs Determined to Keep Starting Job

...so there you go.
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby awwchrist » Mon May 03, 2004 10:31 pm

lol that doesn't really surprise me though.

What's he supposed to say?

"Now that Willy's back, I'ma just roll over and take it in the can."
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 03, 2004 10:35 pm

awwchrist wrote:lol that doesn't really surprise me though.

I added that for dramatic intrigue, y0. First you post the sentimental comeback story and then add another post about the guy in his way. Adds emotion to the thread and all, y'know.

...or something.
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JrcWy » Mon May 03, 2004 11:54 pm

Canacuna wrote:
awwchrist wrote:lol that doesn't really surprise me though.

I added that for dramatic intrigue, y0. First you post the sentimental comeback story and then add another post about the guy in his way. Adds emotion to the thread and all, y'know.

...or something.

Yeah, you can always rely on Canacuna and Fox for "fair and balanced" reporting. :-°

Thanks for feeding the forum Canacuna
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk