Individual Defensive players - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Individual Defensive players

Moderator: Football Moderators

Individual Defensive players

Postby Shaner » Tue May 04, 2004 12:12 pm

We are starting to use individual defensive players in our league this year. Who would you consider the top players at each position (DB, LB, DL) for 2004. Ray Lewis is already off the table, but still include him in your rankings if you want.
Shaner

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 04, 2004 12:23 pm

what is the scoring system?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slowkidz » Tue May 04, 2004 12:31 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:what is the scoring system?

a good point. this info will help greatly.

on a basic scoring (1pt/tackle, .5 asst, 3pts/sack, 3pts INT, 1pt/PD, 6pts TD) I'd go with these:

DL
Strahan
Rice
Rucker
Taylor
Ogunleye

(*Note: If Little can play this year, and it's a big IF, he goes at #2)

LB
Ray Lewis
Jamie Sharper
Zach Thomas
Keith Bullock
Donnie Edwards

DB
Harrison
Wesley
Archuleta
Parrish
Reed
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

scoring

Postby Shaner » Tue May 04, 2004 12:43 pm

Sorry about that. Here is the scoring.

Defensive Fumble Recovered: 2
Defensive TD: 6
Forced Fumble: 2
Interceptions: 2
Pass Defensed (ID only): 1
Sack: 3
Safety: 2
Tackle (ID/DT/DST): 1
Shaner

Friendliness: %

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 04, 2004 12:52 pm

nice options, Slow. You wouldnt rank Urlacher or Derrek Brooks in your top 5 LBs? Top 10?

What about Peppers as a DL? Terrell Suggs?

Im happy to see R. Harrison top your DB list - he finally played a full yr - lol. What about Roy Williams though?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slowkidz » Tue May 04, 2004 1:01 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:nice options, Slow. You wouldnt rank Urlacher or Derrek Brooks in your top 5 LBs? Top 10?

What about Peppers as a DL? Terrell Suggs?

Im happy to see R. Harrison top your DB list - he finally played a full yr - lol. What about Roy Williams though?

hehehe...can't tip my hand too soon...i'm in some IDP lgs with other Cafe members. ;-)

Urlacher in the Top 10...but he needs some help. He's been sliding recently and that has me concerned. Definitely a solid LB tho. Brooks. His stock keeps fluctuating. I'd say a Top 15 LB for sure...With the revamping of the Bucs Defense and the addition of Gold, his stock may go up a little more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Baltimore move Suggs to OLB? Last I heard that's where he was...Top 20 LB and rising IMO. Peppers is good. But there is more potential there to be tapped. I'd put him in the Top 10 for DL.

Roy...Roy...Roy...Here's another youngster who is good, but isn't using his full potential. He ended the 2003 season as the 63rd Ranked DB overall. He went #1 and #2 DB in most leagues. I'd like to put him back in the Top 10, but until he can show me a little something this offseason...I'll leave him around #15.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby TheHeat24 » Tue May 04, 2004 8:40 pm

Slowkidz wrote:Roy...Roy...Roy...Here's another youngster who is good, but isn't using his full potential. He ended the 2003 season as the 63rd Ranked DB overall. He went #1 and #2 DB in most leagues. I'd like to put him back in the Top 10, but until he can show me a little something this offseason...I'll leave him around #15.

In his rookie season Roy Williams was the number one rated DB... I think he should get back to the level of top 3...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 04, 2004 11:50 pm

Problem with Roy Williams - the shutdown corner syndrome.

Offenses keep away from the shutdown corner, thus reducing his chances to make fantasy stats. The best DBs in the NFL are rarely great fantasy options.

This is the shutdown corner syndrome, and also the key to finding the great DBs - many times the best fantasy DBs play for terrible NFL secondaries.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Individual Defensive players

Postby Cupertino_11 » Wed May 05, 2004 2:58 am

Shaner wrote:We are starting to use individual defensive players in our league this year. Who would you consider the top players at each position (DB, LB, DL) for 2004.

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the importance of your defense. In my first year playing with IDPs I waited til the last three rounds to pick my players and although they did ok, their inconsistency killed me. Last year, I took Ray Lewis in the 6th, Keith Bulluck in the 9th, and then lucked out and got Rodney Harrison off the FA wire. My defense averaged more than 20pts. per week. Needless to say it helped me immensely.

Trying not to base players on their stats from last years I'd rank my Top 5 like this......

Linebackers
Ray Lewis
Keith Bulluck
Donnie Edwards
Brian Urlacher
Keith Brooking

Defensive Line
Michael Strahan
Simeon Rice
Jason Taylor
Adewale Ogunleye
Jevon Kearse

Defensive Back
Rodney Harrison
Ed Reed
Adam Archuleta
Roy Williams
Greg Wesley
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Wed May 05, 2004 5:44 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Problem with Roy Williams - the shutdown corner syndrome.

Offenses keep away from the shutdown corner, thus reducing his chances to make fantasy stats. The best DBs in the NFL are rarely great fantasy options.

This is the shutdown corner syndrome, and also the key to finding the great DBs - many times the best fantasy DBs play for terrible NFL secondaries.

aka...Champ Bailey. ;-D
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk