Help with Drafting Position! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Help with Drafting Position!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with Drafting Position!

Postby jm » Tue May 04, 2004 3:36 pm

This will be my second your drafting. I am in a 8 team Yahoo scoring league. I finished 5th last season (missed the playoffs by 6 points) :-t

WE START:

2RB
2WR
1QB
1TE

I get to choose first what spot I want to draft at. I was thinking first, and taking Priest Holmes. Any thoughts or suggestions on where I should pick and why would be appriciated.

Thanks.
jm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Tue May 04, 2004 3:43 pm

I would suggest 4th or 7th. At 4th, you get to choose one of the top tier guys: Priest Holmes, LaDainian Tomlinson, Ahman Green, or Clinton Portis. At the 7 spot, you're able to choose one of the second tier guys (Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister) and then you can pick a solid #2 RB with the 14th pick.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue May 04, 2004 3:43 pm

Choose 3rd or 4th. Youll have a great early pick, and and good pick every round. If you take the 4th, you get the same spot everyround and get a good pick everytime. Right now in my 12 team mock draft (swing over to classifieds to watch my updates-thread name 12 team 15 round mock signup) I ended up with 2nd pick, and that 11th pick hurts usually, but I ended up with Tomlinson and Manning so far ;-D . Usually you dont expect that however. I like a middle pick more than an early pick if your draft snakes, and I may even consider taking Tomlinson over holmes anyways. Holmes is approaching that dreaded age of 30 :-[ .
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby football genius » Tue May 04, 2004 4:02 pm

If it's a non keeper I'd take the 4th pick because as was already said you get one of the big 4 RB's and a good pick every round.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2004 Super Bowl Campions.
Derrick Brooks = Defensive Player of the year
football genius
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby NittanyLions » Tue May 04, 2004 4:39 pm

I would god fourth, I had the same contraversy. And now sweetness he would still change draft positions, only if he were # 5 in a 9 person league would he not change ;-) And you are guaranteed and Ahman/Portis, then the #12 player, which is the spot for a pretty good #2 back. I would also suggest #7 as stated above, you get a stud RB then another top 10 back next round. I like 4th for the later rounds since you dont picka quick two and go out for awhile
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue May 04, 2004 8:54 pm

ive been saying #4 all along... seems u people are starting to come along. ;-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Thanks

Postby jm » Wed May 05, 2004 8:13 am

Thanks for your suggestions, it looks like I'll take the spot!

Just to clarify, I should go for 2RB's with my first 2 picks, right? If I have a shot at R. Moss or Culpepper with my 2nd pick
(13th over-all) should I take one of those two instead of a second back.

Thanks again!
jm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Sorry!

Postby jm » Wed May 05, 2004 8:15 am

Oops, I meant to say It looks like I'll take the 4th spot. :-o
jm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 05, 2004 8:35 am

Great question about going RB-RB or RB-WR.

In the same mock 34=sweetness is in, I do have the 4th pick.
Rd 1 - A. Green
Rd 2 - T. Owen 8-o

Why did TO fall all the way back? A couple reasons - but a lot of it had to do with guys desperate to fill that 2nd RB slot in a RB-RB strategy. The 2nd Rd went: F. Taylor, Holt, S. Davis, CPepp, Barlow, D. Davis, Dillon, R. Johnson, TO, Vick, Manning, McNair.

To me, I probably wont draft half of those RBs in the 2nd rd. I guess if a RB you are really big on falls into your lap in the 2nd rd, fine, but I will be looking for the elite WR or QB to fall into the mid to late 2nd rd if I have a pick in the top half of the first rd.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby aussieboy » Wed May 05, 2004 8:35 am

Personally in an 8 team league i would take the 2nd pick and get one of the top 2 RB, but it seems you've already made your choice and gone with the 4th. With respect to who you should take with your second pick i find it is very difficult, not to mention harmful to give straight up advice on exactly who to take when. The best possible advice i could give would be to assess who is on the board when it's your turn and then make a choice. No point in me advising you to take Culpepper in the second round if there is still a stud RB on the board for some perculiar reason. But if it's straight up advice you want, then sure getting a top tier RB and then going for the top tier WR in the second is going to do you no harm at all.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk