2QB league, how would you change your draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2QB league, how would you change your draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

2QB league, how would you change your draft?

Postby smackthefirst » Tue May 04, 2004 9:46 pm

Ok basically its in the title. Im gonna play a league this year that starts 2qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, 1d, 1k. And there are ten teams. So how would this change your draft strategy? How much more valuable would your qbs on your board be?
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue May 04, 2004 9:54 pm

QBs would leapfrog WRs for importance on my board (with the exception of Moss of course). I would consider guys like Cully, Peyton, and Vick in the late 1st to early 2nd round. McNabb would probably be a mid-to-late second round pick and Hasselback and Penny might be 3rd round picks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FF Newbie » Tue May 04, 2004 9:57 pm

Good question. I'll be playing in a 2 QB league this year also, so it's one I'm considering as well. I have the first pick in the first year of a keeper league and I plan to take Tomlinson with that pick. I'm hoping that one of Culpepper/Vick/Manning are left at #20. If so, I'll grab one of them for sure and maybe even take another with the 21st pick. The problem is that all three will likely be gone, so I have to decide whether to go with McNabb or another RB. It really depends on who is left, but my gut tells me I'll end up taking Tomlinson at #1, McNabb at #20, and the best running back left at #21. Then I'll grab another QB at #40 or #41. I have no formula to determine how far up my board to move the QBs, but my gut tells me something like early/mid-second for the big 3. Third round for guys like McNair and Hass, fourth for Pennington, Green, and Brooks and fifth or sixth for Brady, Plummer and Garcia.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue May 04, 2004 10:02 pm

I would agree with that...there are only 32 QB's, and only 5-6 of them are "elite" types. The people with a really good QB and a mid-level QB will probably outscore someone with two middle QB's and a little better receivers because the QB has more of a chance to score points in normal scoring. I suppose it's what they call a "scarcity" thing.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Tue May 04, 2004 11:23 pm

You could make a very good case that getting 2 starting QBs earlier is much much more valid than getting 2 starting RBs for this reason: QBs are limited by the numbers of teams in the league. There is no such thing as a QBBC by committee. You can get by with a RBBC type player like Buckhalter or Dunn as your #2 RB.

Out of curiosity, I ran your league settings against last year's stats. Check out the results of a 16 round draft here:

http://kingghidorah.is-a-geek.net/Fantasy/2QBLeague.htm

Keep in mind the overall value of QBs was spiked up last year compared to the average over the last three years. Assuming there is more stability at the starting QB position in 2004 (which was competely not the case in 2003), their rankings should level out a bit.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cupertino_11 » Wed May 05, 2004 3:12 am

KingGhidra wrote:You could make a very good case that getting 2 starting QBs earlier is much much more valid than getting 2 starting RBs.

I was thinking the same thing KG. If I were on the tail end of the first round I might very well pick up the top two QB's (CPepp and Manning) and find adequate RB's in the 3rd and 4th. There very well might be a Lee Suggs or Brian Westbrook available til then. :-? Hmmm.......now that I think about it, although tempting, I'd probably take one of the aforementioned QBs and a solid starting RB, then pick up another QB several rounds later like a Plummer or a Brady. Either way, getting a good one early is a big plus in 2QB leagues.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FF Newbie » Wed May 05, 2004 9:40 am

KG, I was thinking the exact same thing, but didn't post it. My league, which attempts to equalize the value of players at all positions balances this out by adding a RB/WR flex position that most teams will choose to fill with a RB. I think starting 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, and 1RB/WR does a good job of doing that. If you assume that in the entire league 32 QBs, 48 RBs, and 96 WRs see considerable action, that makes the scarcity of each position approximately equal (depending on whether you start a RB or WR at the flex spot).
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby smackthefirst » Wed May 05, 2004 10:29 am

Would any of you be interested in doing a few mocks of this type of setup before the season kicks off. Id really like to be able to get a feel for how its going to go.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Wed May 05, 2004 10:50 am

smackthefirst wrote:Would any of you be interested in doing a few mocks of this type of setup before the season kicks off. Id really like to be able to get a feel for how its going to go.

Absolutely.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby FF Newbie » Wed May 05, 2004 11:33 am

Definitely. Maybe we can set up a private draft on AntSports. I like their setup. They don't offer a 2QB system, but we could just ignore their scoring system and starting positions and specify our own. One comment I have is that 10-team leagues are best for starting 2 QBs. That leaves just enough starting NFL QBs for 2 fantasy starters and 1 reserve per team.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk