Jets RB's, good news, bad news... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets RB's, good news, bad news...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets RB's, good news, bad news...

Postby TTTBone » Wed May 05, 2004 5:32 pm

THE NEWS

Running back LaMont Jordan and his agent met yesterday with Jets general manager Terry Bradway to discuss the backup runner's future, and The Star-Ledger is reporting that Jordan came away less than impressed about how the team proposed to handle his contract status as he heads into his final season before unrestricted free agency. "We want a strong commitment from the New York Jets or we want to be dealt," Jordan's agent Alvin Keels told the Associated Press. "I haven't received any assurances that either is going to happen. LaMont wants to be paid market value as a No. 1 back. If he's going to be in the Jets' plans, he wants to be rewarded."

OUR VIEW

Assuming for a moment that Jordan deserved to be paid like a No. 1 back?which given his 798 career rushing yards and eight career touchdowns is a huge assumption?the Jets would be hard-pressed to justify doing so. Starting running back Curtis Martin, who has out gained Jordan by nearly 11,000 yards, is in the third year of an eight-year, $43 million contract that guarantees him $2.8 million this season. NFL teams simply cannot afford to over invest in one particular position. Jordan will likely demand a trade this week and threaten to hold out, which only increases Martin's value given the prospect of a season in which Jordan won't be there to vulture his goal-line carries.

Very good news for those of you who took a chance on Martin, bad news for those of you who took a chance on Jordan. I've also heard Martin was already scheduled to get a big increase in his number of carries in the pre-season in hopes of preventing a repeat of his slow regular season starts of the last two years.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jets RB's, good news, bad news...

Postby awwchrist » Wed May 05, 2004 6:35 pm

TTTBone wrote: I've also heard Martin was already scheduled to get a big increase in his number of carries in the pre-season in hopes of preventing a repeat of his slow regular season starts of the last two years.

Not that I don't believe you...I'd love a link if you have one.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby columbo » Wed May 05, 2004 6:36 pm

Jets also drafted a RB Derrick Ward, albeit the 7th round. But he is considered a sleeper.
"Listen Columbo, just for a minute how about we stop pretending that I'm brilliant and you're simple!"
columbo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:40 pm

awwchrist wrote:Not that I don't believe you...I'd love a link if you have one.

Ive read it on espn... But I think LaMont has great skills and if CMart goes down he has big time potential.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TTTBone » Wed May 05, 2004 6:56 pm

awwchrist wrote:
TTTBone wrote: I've also heard Martin was already scheduled to get a big increase in his number of carries in the pre-season in hopes of preventing a repeat of his slow regular season starts of the last two years.

Not that I don't believe you...I'd love a link if you have one.

John Clayton - ESPN
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby NittanyLions » Wed May 05, 2004 7:16 pm

Maybe I should look for Cmart in more drafts. Goood news for Cmart owners, like you said. Especially the attempt to help his slow starts. I dont think LaMont is going about it right, kick him now. Bad news just keeps coming for the owners of bakups of older RBs, like Lamar in STL...I'm glad I didnt go drafting these guys;-7
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Wed May 05, 2004 7:42 pm

I've read in several places including KFFL that the Raiders offered a 3rd round pick to the Jets during the draft for Jordon but the Jets wanted a 2nd. Obviously, the trade never took place but the Raiders are still trying to work out something. The full story is on Jetsconfidential.com but you have to be a paying member to read it and i'm not.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Canacuna » Wed May 05, 2004 7:44 pm

JrcWY wrote:I've read in several places including KFFL that the Raiders offered a 3rd round pick to the Jets during the draft for Jordon but the Jets wanted a 2nd. Obviously, the trade never took place but the Raiders are still trying to work out something. The full story is on Jetsconfidential.com but you have to be a paying member to read it and i'm not.

That's more realistic than Travis Henry or Rudi Johnson, methinks. That'd probably be a good deal for both teams.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby moochman » Thu May 06, 2004 10:50 am

I have a hard time seeing the Jets paying Jordan starter money. They have given him many opportunities to take the starting job away from C Mart but he has failed to establish himself as a reliable starter. I would love to see him go elsewhere and let Martin get the bulk of the carries. The Jets O should be much improved with the addition of McCariens and the health of Penny. This should help to open the field up for their run game. But to give starter money to Jordan...

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk