Dolphins to go deep? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dolphins to go deep?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dolphins to go deep?

Postby TTTBone » Wed May 05, 2004 5:34 pm

THE NEWS

The Dolphins' new offense was on display during minicamp and Quarterback School, and the consensus is that it will emphasize a vertical passing game with consistent deep routes. Miami quarterbacks were not only throwing deep on a regular basis, but receivers ran deep routes constantly in order to attract a safety downfield and create space underneath. ''The thing is really about getting vertical, flying up the field and creating space, running people off and creating pockets,'' fullback Rob Konrad told the Miami Herald. ``We've done that quite a bit so far.''

OUR VIEW

A vertical passing game, if executed, has interesting implications for the Dolphins. First, it gives new quarterback A.J. Feeley a definite leg up in his supposed competition with Jay Fiedler because Feeley has superior arm strength. It could also provide more breathing room for Ricky Williams, who has seen at least eight men in the box with their passing game struggling to threaten defenses. Finally, if Feeley and the Dolphins' revamped offensive line can perform, it provides wide receiver Chris Chambers with an opportunity to finally amass some decent yardage totals. We'll keep an eye on this new-look system throughout training camps this summer.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:43 pm

I think its great news... as a dolphins fan I dont see Fiedler being able to throw the deep ball at all, heck he cant even throw the short-to intermediate stuff. Hopefully they can make the passing game work and finally get Ricky some running room.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NittanyLions » Wed May 05, 2004 7:19 pm

I like that idea. Deep routes could do good for Feeley-I dont think he is a short passer. I lik ethe idea of using their good WRs as a downfield threat in order to relieve Ricky-good idea. I think McMike and Ricky could still be used efficiently in short routes too. It'll be interesting to see whether Chambers will thrive in this new offense :-?
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Wed May 05, 2004 7:29 pm

I am glad to see the offense looking to go deep. I've read that they expect to throw one down the field at least once a quarter. I've read some other Dolphins mini-camp reviews and it sounds like Fiedler had the better camp between him ad AJ and is very much in the running for the starting position in game 1. Interestingly enough though, the consensus was that sage Rosenfels had the best performance. There’s little chance of Sage taking over but its sounding like nobody is really stepping up at the qb position yet.

Another tidbit I read is that good old Davie has told Boston he is not a starter yet but Chambers is for those wondering who the #1 WR in Miami. Boston owners don’t need to worry since there is no other WR talent in Miami. Although Snoop Minnis(great pickup IMO) had a really good camp and looks to be the clear #3 when Boston snags the #2 spot. In really deep leagues, Minnis could be a sleeper since Miami wants to use a lot of 3 wideout sets.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mig28 » Wed May 05, 2004 7:37 pm

Not surprising news, given their free agent acquisitions...I'm looking for McMichael to step up as well.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Canacuna » Wed May 05, 2004 8:01 pm

I think I've heard this before... :-?

It seems nearly every year, the Dolphins claim to have their passing game down. Hopefully A.J. Feeley is the guy they need, since Fiedler has had some problems impressing in the past...

Whatever happened to Oronde Gadsen? He had always been a decent WR and now that I'm checking his stats I see that he has 20 catches in 12 games over the last two years. I don't know if he's done, or what, but if he's healthy, the Dolphins could have a nice trio of WRs...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby hayesb26 » Wed May 05, 2004 8:17 pm

Yeah I heard this somewhere the other day as well...

I guess it's worth a shot, nothing else working for them lately, and just let him throw the ball and see what happens, I like that. ;-D
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed May 05, 2004 8:21 pm

Canacuna wrote:I think I've heard this before... :-?

It seems nearly every year, the Dolphins claim to have their passing game down. Hopefully A.J. Feeley is the guy they need, since Fiedler has had some problems impressing in the past...

Whatever happened to Oronde Gadsen? He had always been a decent WR and now that I'm checking his stats I see that he has 20 catches in 12 games over the last two years. I don't know if he's done, or what, but if he's healthy, the Dolphins could have a nice trio of WRs...

Your first point is so right, Thompson was supposed to put their pass game over the top last year. And to your point about Gadsden, he had a major wrist injury two years ago and last year he was testing the free agent market but didnt get anhy offers so he ended up with the fins and was way outta shape so it took time for him to get into the lineup...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NFLknowitall » Thu May 06, 2004 1:32 pm

I'm not sure how much arm strength plays into the deep passing game. Feeley or Fielder should at least be able to throw 60 yards. The secret to a successful deep passing game is taking advantage of mismatches and a solid presnap QB/WR read on what the secondary's coverage is.

One example is that Manning and Harrison automatically know that depending on how the corner is sitting or backpedaling which route Harrison will run. That is a reason they are so successful. They both read the corner and safety the same in a matter of 1 or 2 seconds. When I QB it all depends on what the safety is doing if I go deep. If he is up or playing shallow I will go over his head. If he is deep I will try and drill the ball on the sideline right between the safety and over the corners head. That is just my 2 cents.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Lushcrush » Thu May 06, 2004 1:43 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:
Canacuna wrote:Whatever happened to Oronde Gadsen?
And to your point about Gadsden, he had a major wrist injury two years ago and last year he was testing the free agent market but didnt get anhy offers so he ended up with the fins and was way outta shape so it took time for him to get into the lineup...

And in the meantime got a DWI ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk