Auction style Mock? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Auction style Mock?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auction style Mock?

Postby bungle613 » Sat May 08, 2004 1:40 pm

Anyone know of anywhere that there are results from an auction mock draft. I know there is one here and it is a good start, lots of the cafe regs were in it. Would just like to find one or two more for comparison.

Also, any gems for advice on an auction?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Auction style Mock?

Postby KingGhidra » Sat May 08, 2004 3:44 pm

bungle613 wrote:Anyone know of anywhere that there are results from an auction mock draft. I know there is one here and it is a good start, lots of the cafe regs were in it. Would just like to find one or two more for comparison.

I preached "pay through the nose for studs" from the very beginning. Several disagreed with me and said they'd prefer paying less for lower rated players. Most everyone seems to think paying a lot up front for blue chip talent is a good idea after that mock.

Common sense prevails. If you see a player going for their exact worth and you think you can get someone equally good for less later, do that. Just don't load up on all sleepers or "value" players cause you'll be depending on breakout seasons from your entire roster.

At the same time, I don't see anything wrong with paying more for a proven stud like a Priest Holmes. If you spend 50-60% of your money on two stud RBs, that's not a bad thing. Wouldn't you liked to have had Priest and Ahman on the same team last year? My strategy going in was to spend about 75% of my cash on three stud players and wait just sit tight on my money until the end. Alexander-Green-McNair should be a nice trio.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin' » Mon May 10, 2004 2:34 pm

i have done and auction draft each of the last 4 years. not by design, i have drafted teams many different ways. i found last years way to be the most productive.
i let people pay big money on the top backs such as priest and lt2. those guys went for HUGE money. i actually couldn't beleive it. then i went ahead and spent most of my money on deuce and SA. i got each of these guys for half of the price that holmes went for.
i then decided to spend most of my money that was left on a stud wr and ended up landing TO for a pretty decent price. i don't remember what it was exactly but i then got trent green for the minimum and d.mason for the min.
it ended up great and i would have came in first, not second if TO had put up better numbers.
i would advise something along those lines as the best way to go. but i do think that you should not overspend on the top 4 backs as they go for WAAAAYYYYYYY more than i think they should.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon May 10, 2004 3:53 pm

IMO,

The trick is to decide 3 studs that you want, but not necessarily the creme-de-la-creme....

I would shoot for the likes of:

Ricky, SA, and Ward...

You can probably get all three of those guys for a decent amount of money, but far less than the guys that shoot for Holmes, LT2, Moss, Harrison, and Holt.

You'll end up with a solid core of starters, and still have money for a decent supporting cast...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Auction style Mock?

Postby SeaWolf » Mon May 10, 2004 7:08 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Anyone know of anywhere that there are results from an auction mock draft. I know there is one here and it is a good start, lots of the cafe regs were in it. Would just like to find one or two more for comparison.

I preached "pay through the nose for studs" from the very beginning. Several disagreed with me and said they'd prefer paying less for lower rated players. Most everyone seems to think paying a lot up front for blue chip talent is a good idea after that mock.

Common sense prevails. If you see a player going for their exact worth and you think you can get someone equally good for less later, do that. Just don't load up on all sleepers or "value" players cause you'll be depending on breakout seasons from your entire roster.

At the same time, I don't see anything wrong with paying more for a proven stud like a Priest Holmes. If you spend 50-60% of your money on two stud RBs, that's not a bad thing. Wouldn't you liked to have had Priest and Ahman on the same team last year? My strategy going in was to spend about 75% of my cash on three stud players and wait just sit tight on my money until the end. Alexander-Green-McNair should be a nice trio.

Last year was my first year in an auction draft. I had a plan going in simular to what you mentioned. Most of the top backs went for 1/3 of their cap (not ot mention the top QBs and WRs) for each player. I loaded up on WRs, got a good QB for cheep. I ended up with Jamal Lewis as my #1 RB. I was only able to grab Curtis Martin and Eddie George as my #2 and #3 RBs. I also ended up winning that league championship. :-b
Anyway I agree, pay high for your top RBs, but not too high.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Mon May 10, 2004 7:09 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:IMO,

The trick is to decide 3 studs that you want, but not necessarily the creme-de-la-creme....

I would shoot for the likes of:

Ricky, SA, and Ward...

You can probably get all three of those guys for a decent amount of money, but far less than the guys that shoot for Holmes, LT2, Moss, Harrison, and Holt.

You'll end up with a solid core of starters, and still have money for a decent supporting cast...

Good advice. ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Tue May 11, 2004 2:26 am

It will depend on the guys in the league really. How good they are. I don't know any of them so I can't judge until the draft starts.

Agreed... a wish list. I was aiming higher than most of you. I think LT2 and a stud Wr is not out of the question. 2/3 of my cash on the my 3 players. I never draft a QB high so I wouldn't start now.

Judging from the mock that some of you did here it is conceivable I can get 3 large players.

Appreciate all the advice. Cheers
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 11, 2004 3:03 am

Check this out. Going by the cafe's Auction mock done not too long ago it was possible to compile the following team:

Michael Vick-$21
Ladanian Tomlinson-$56
Michael Bennett-$9
Randy Moss-$40
Marvin Harrison-$38
Ashley Lelie-$3
Tony Gonzales-$18
David Akers-$2
Denver DEF-$2

With that team you have spent $189 out of your $200 cap. Sure the players you would bid for on your bench would be horseshit, but i'd rather have a starting lineup like that and nothing on the bench than try and bid for an allround nice squad and be prepared for injuries.

I'm also unsure if the other teams in the leauge would allow you to compile a team of those guys. Surely once they realise your bidding for all the studs they would try and outbid you to ensure you were unsuccessfull, but hey at the very least you would be driving up the price of the studs thus hurting the team that eventually gets the stud.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Tue May 11, 2004 11:54 am

Agreed... My thoughts exactly.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby CC » Tue May 11, 2004 5:11 pm

Yea, I don't know much about auctions but I would spend about 60% of my cap on 2 stud RBs if given the chance.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk