Is Barlow overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Barlow overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Barlow overrated?

Postby mig28 » Sun May 09, 2004 1:40 am

I'm wondering why he's being taken as a #2 RB in a good number of MDs. Most all of the skill position players around him from last season are gone, and Rattay will probably miss training camp. He's never really borne the load for a full season; now, he's quite possibly their only weapon.
I can't see why he's getting the nod in owner's minds, and I think that if he were really the kind of guy that could carry the offense on his back, he would have been the unquestioned starter before now. I will admit that I was looking forward to seeing him as "the guy" before the team was dessimated; opposing defenses can now gear up to stop him first.
What am I missing here?
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sun May 09, 2004 1:45 am

The 9ers put up a ton of yards from their RBs last season. If they can come up with another threat besides Barlow I see no reason why he shouldn't do well. I am having a hard time visualizing that other threat right now.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 09, 2004 3:12 am

The main reason I picked him in our mock (last pick of the second round) as my #2 was because he is the unquestioned starer. There are a lot of guys that have question marks as to possible time splitters behind them this year. Henry has McGahee, Davis has Foster, Westbrooke has Buckhalter, Bennett has Smith, etc. etc. He was the only guy left besides Barber and CMart that didn't have a hitch. So, I figured he would at least get the ball a ton of times and should put up some numbers. I mean, someone has to score their points, right??? :-o

OK, this is going to be a bad comparison due to skill levels involved, but what does LT have in SD besides himself? Not a whole lot, but he's still one of the top backs in fantasy this year. Here's a more even comparison - Barlow and Rudi are about equal in what they came in and did last year IMO, and Rudi is also being pegged as a #2 back in most drafts...

Here's my basic thought process - if I have to start two backs, I want two backs that are in the whole game except maybe 3rd and longs. Barlow is going to be one of those people - hence I'm taking him before someone else does. I'm not getting stuck with a RBBC :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mig28 » Sun May 09, 2004 3:38 am

Mercer Boy wrote:The main reason I picked him in our mock (last pick of the second round) as my #2 was because he is the unquestioned starer. There are a lot of guys that have question marks as to possible time splitters behind them this year. Henry has McGahee, Davis has Foster, Westbrooke has Buckhalter, Bennett has Smith, etc. etc. He was the only guy left besides Barber and CMart that didn't have a hitch. So, I figured he would at least get the ball a ton of times and should put up some numbers. I mean, someone has to score their points, right??? :-o

OK, this is going to be a bad comparison due to skill levels involved, but what does LT have in SD besides himself? Not a whole lot, but he's still one of the top backs in fantasy this year. Here's a more even comparison - Barlow and Rudi are about equal in what they came in and did last year IMO, and Rudi is also being pegged as a #2 back in most drafts...

Here's my basic thought process - if I have to start two backs, I want two backs that are in the whole game except maybe 3rd and longs. Barlow is going to be one of those people - hence I'm taking him before someone else does. I'm not getting stuck with a RBBC :-)

Tomlinson is exactly who I was thinking of with regard to "carrying the offense"; Barlow is going to be in a very similar situation to Tomlinson, but LT is special because he does it with ease.
I strongly agree with having, as a prerequisite, an unquestioned #1 as an FF back, and Barlow is certainly that. It will be interesting to see if he can hold up and produce, given the circumstances.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby pmac_03 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:13 am

i wouldnt say hes overrated because no one has ever rated him ... 'overly'. he is a decent back and did well last year with what little he had to work with.
crusaders treasurechest member: east-waterdown gunners. bills fan. going to opening day vs. jax!

pmac.
pmac_03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:31 am

Its all about being the unquestioned starter. When you are a guaranteed starting RB, you have fantasy value.
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun May 09, 2004 9:07 am

Barlow is a good back who should have a sold year yardage wise with about 7 or 8 TDs because he has no talent around him on offence. He is less overrated than Domanick Davis and Rudi Johnson in my mind.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Da GM » Sun May 09, 2004 9:46 am

In my rankings, I have him as my #11-12 RB, and #12-13 overall. I see no reason why he shouldn't be a great #2 RB, even a #1 RB if you're really desparate. I have him behind:

LT
Priest
Portis
Deuce
Ahman
J-Lew
Shaun
Ricky
Edge
Fragile Fred
R Moss
Faulk/Barlow (Tied IMO)
Da GM
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 10, 2004 1:34 am

I don't think I've ever held Kevan Barlow in that high of regard. I've always kind of steered clear of him in any drafts I've been in over the years. Every year, it seemed he was bound to breakout and take the starting job away from Garrison Hearst - an old, nearly crippled, RB. Every year, Barlow failed to do so - at best managing a RBBC out of the situation. It wasn't until Hearst was injured (and the 49ers faced average at best defenses during that time) that Barlow was given the job. I'll give him a year to see how he does before getting my hopes up on him.

Here's Canacuna's rankings of the top twenty RBs (in parenthesis, the ranking I submitted to KingGhidra in February for his Cafe averages).

1. Priest Holmes (1)
2. LaDainian Tomlinson (2)
3. Ahman Green (4)
4. Clinton Portis (3)
5. Shaun Alexander (5)
6. Deuce McAllister (6)
7. Ricky Williams (8)
8. Jamal Lewis (7)
9. Edgerrin James (10)
10. Marshall Faulk (11)
11. Fred Taylor (9)
12. Domanick Davis (13)
13. Corey Dillon (18)
14. Stephen Davis (15)
15. Rudi Johnson (14)
16. Travis Henry (12)
17. Michael Bennett (20)
18. Kevan Barlow (16)
19. Marcel Shipp (19)
20. Curtis Martin (22)

DROPPED OUT OF TOP TWENTY: Tiki Barber (prev. 17)
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

agreed

Postby hwkyetkd11 » Mon May 10, 2004 1:52 am

Wow Cacacuna I completely agre ewith ur current rankings. First rankings I have agreed with completely. Barlow has nothing to draw defenses off him an dhe ha snever proven he can hold upa fulll year. He is posibly a stud in the making, but will be a year or two. Also D. Davis ha sno competition, he is the starter.
hwkyetkd11
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Football Talk