More Burress News... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More Burress News...

Moderator: Football Moderators

More Burress News...

Postby CC » Sun May 09, 2004 9:23 am

Thanks again to Profootballtalk.com
BURRESS ABSENCE PERPLEXING TO MANY

League insiders are scratching their noggins regarding the failure of receiver Plaxico Burress to report for the Steelers' first mandatory minicamp of the 2004 offseason.

Burress, who is entering the final year of his contract, hasn't been griping about the lack of a contract extension, and he hasn't pushed for a trade -- despite the fact that teams like the Chiefs have made no secret about their desire to obtain his rights.

Indeed, with USC receiver Mike Williams kept out of the April draft, it would have been a great time for Burress and/or his agent to declare a desire to be dealt absent a new contract.

That's why many within the league can't understand the decision, only two weeks later, not to show up for an activity that he is contractually obligated to attend.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that Burress hasn't linked his absence to his contract status. Instead, the absence has been characterized by his agent as a personal matter, on which the agent won't elaborate.

"I'm not comfortable describing the nature of the personal thing," Scott Parker said. "Nothing about his contract was mentioned in my discussions with him."

There has been speculation that Burress is down in the dumps, given that it's Mother's Day weekend and his own mother died unexpectedly two years ago.

Burress already has pocketed $207,000 of his 2004 pay via a March roster bonus. He's scheduled to earn $535,000 in salary, and more than $1 million of his 2000 signing bonus applies to this fifth year of the contract. Though the raw dollars Burress will make in 2004 arguably is a bit on the low side, Parker said that Burress will be at training camp.

Even stranger is the fact that Burress has been present and active in the voluntary phases of the Steelers' offseason program.

So what's happening here? One of our sources has floated an interesting theory, and before we 'splain it we need to say plainly and clearly that this is speculation, not fact.

Our source tells us that the first mandatory minicamp of the offseason is the first opportunity for players to be tested for the presence of certain recreational substances in their, ahem, liquid byproducts. So if (and, again, this is speculation only) Burress has any reason to fear the (piss) reaper, bolting the 'Burgh on the eve of the minicamp would be the smart thing to do.

Under these circumstances, facing a potential fine of up to $7,446 is a no-brainer in comparison to possibly getting on the wrong side of the substance abuse guidelines as Burress attempts to get a big-money contract.

The problem, however, is that there's no good way out of this mess for Burress. If he isn't AWOL because of concerns that he has certain compounds in his body that might get him in trouble with the league office, he needs to explain to the powers-that-be in Pittsburgh each and every reason for his absence -- and it had better be persuasive.

Otherwise, the Steelers might start shopping the former Michigan State product to teams like the Chiefs and the Bears. We're even hearing that the Lions might be interested in Burress, which we frankly find hard to fathom given that they've already got a burgeoning stash (whoops) of receivers in Motown already.

Stay tuned on this one. There has been a difference of opinion in the front office as to whether Burress should be traded, and this latest episode could be enough to make the team make a move.

This is interesting news regarding Plaxico Burress, I doubt that he is on steroids and is likely grieving for his mother and since he has been to voluntary workouts it even complicates the situation moreso.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sun May 09, 2004 9:32 am

I wonder if he had been riding in the same car that Mike Anderson was. Sounds like Reefer madness to me. It's been 2 years since his Mother died, so he should've finished the grieving process.
I haven't heard anything about the Lions being interested in him. Lions recievers dropped an awful lot of passes last season and I'd think it unlikely they would want to pick him up after all of the drops he had last season. KC should explore it though. He could blow up with the Chiefs. I hope he gets it together, he is too talented to waste his career.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mig28 » Sun May 09, 2004 9:43 am

moochman wrote: KC should explore it though. He could blow up with the Chiefs.

I also think that would be a very good fit; if Plax went to KC and showed his form of 2 years ago, the Chiefs would have all the pieces in place on "O".
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Sun May 09, 2004 9:59 am

Plax would basically just be a "rental" to a team looking to make a push for the SB, because he will be a UFA after this season. This would make sense for the Chiefs because with an o-line like theirs and Trent Green throwing him the ball, Plaxico would be extremely productive.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 09, 2004 5:30 pm

moochman wrote:I wonder if he had been riding in the same car that Mike Anderson was. Sounds like Reefer madness to me.

I think you're on to something...I think he should have stopped that a little sooner than the week before training camp started. But I suppose when the wacky weed calls, some people have to answer. :-°
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Sun May 09, 2004 6:20 pm

Good article. No doubt the fines are better than a drug suspension, but I'm hoping that it really is just a personal matter, and not a way to avoid drug tests.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk