Is Jamal Underrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Jamal Underrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Mon May 10, 2004 8:21 pm

Ehh I had a bunch of stuff I was gonna say but...

Green's rushing totals from his best year are only a ~30% spike (averaging 2002 season for 16 games) while Jam increased 55%. That looks like an outlier to me. Averaging Green out over 2002 gives you that nice bell curve you're looking for too. At the end of the day, I think Green plays in a weak run D division. Chicago might be better, but Cincy and Cleveland should be much improved. I highly doubt Jam rushes for 500 against Cleveland in 2004. People are ranking Lewis like he is gonna repeat his 2003 performance and I find that strange. Even Barry only rushed for 2000 yards once. It's a toss up between McAllister and Lewis who is the most overrated top tier RB right now...
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Mon May 10, 2004 8:44 pm

That's all fine and dandy, but there's more to fantasy then just yards.

I went ahead and calculated the % increase in terms of fantasy points for each based on my leagues scoring system (10yards rush/rec=1pt, TD=6pts).

Ahman increased his performance by 59% between 2002 and 2003.

Lewis increased his performance by 42% between 2002 and 2003.

Just for reference, Torry Holt increased his performance by 56% and I haven't heard people mentioning him as the most overrated WR despite being in the top 3 among most WR rankings.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jojo » Mon May 10, 2004 8:47 pm

I don;t agree with the premise that you either believe Jamal will go to jail or he won't. Everything is risk/reward. I think there's a 10% chance he goes to the clink but that degree of risk is enough to drop him down to 8 on my list. Every back has a certain amount of baggage, I just happen to think his is more than any of the others in the top 8.
jojo

Friendliness: %

Postby Free Bagel » Mon May 10, 2004 8:53 pm

If you believe there's even a 3% chance he won't play next year because of this drug crap you're completely paranoid.

How often do we see this? Professional player commits crime, sportscasters go on and on about how he might go to jail, people on website's use it as an excuse, and the player never ends up in jail.

What's the difference here? The case made against Lewis has far far far less backing to it then these things usually do. They have no real case, and even when there is a legitimate case and trial (which is very very very very very very very very rare), it STILL doesn't affect the coming year in terms of fantasy (see Kobe Bryant: all these idiots on ESPN sit here and talk about how it will affect him and blah blah as he throws up 30pts a game). These things never come to fruition.

I would say the chances of Lewis missing next year because of this are about the same as the chances that a satellite will fall out of orbit, collide with an Airplane, which crashes into a bridge that then falls on Ladainian Tomlinson and kills him. Which could also be said for anyone else in the top 10, so they all have about the same risk level in terms of not playing next year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby NittanyLions » Mon May 10, 2004 9:08 pm

Free Bagel wrote:That's all fine and dandy, but there's more to fantasy then just yards.

I went ahead and calculated the % increase in terms of fantasy points for each based on my leagues scoring system (10yards rush/rec=1pt, TD=6pts).

Just for reference, Torry Holt increased his performance by 56% and I haven't heard people mentioning him as the most overrated WR despite being in the top 3 among most WR rankings.

Off subject: I just was thinking how its odd no one has mentioned Holt being overrated after only one real breakout year. I dont necessarily disagree, but still.

On subjuect: I tend to agree, Jamal being pused down due to his jail possibility is crap
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Mon May 10, 2004 9:24 pm

Interesting arguments. Some issues though. Some say that the fact Ahman has a good QB to open up the running game for him helps him, whereas others have pointed out that Baltimore are going to throw the ball more this season and this will HURT Jamal Lewis. This is a contradiction, which one is it? Jamal never had a decent QB last season and it didnt hurt him. People say that teams will focus on him more this season, you don't think teams focussed on Lewis from week 2 onwards last season? This argument doesn't hold. I think Bagel made a good point when pointing out that this will be only Lewis' 4th season, and it will be his second removed from a serious knee injury. There's no reason to believe that he has peaked.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Mon May 10, 2004 10:49 pm

NittanyLions wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:That's all fine and dandy, but there's more to fantasy then just yards.

Off subject: I just was thinking how its odd no one has mentioned Holt being overrated after only one real breakout year. I dont necessarily disagree, but still.

On subjuect: I tend to agree, Jamal being pused down due to his jail possibility is crap

I've been saying all along Holt is overrated. 4 TDs in 2002!
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jojo » Mon May 10, 2004 10:54 pm

Bulger's the QB and he looks for Holt all day long. Holt's poor TD numbers came with Warner at the helm. Bruce was Warner's guy.
jojo

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 10, 2004 10:59 pm

...This is getting off-topic...

Anyway, I like Jamal Lewis just fine as my #1 fantasy RB, I just happen to like seven other guys more than him. :-D
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 7:41 am

JAMAL IS GOIN TO JAIL

PreviousNext