Pick 15 in a 16 team league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pick 15 in a 16 team league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pick 15 in a 16 team league

Postby Spare Tire » Mon May 10, 2004 2:05 pm

It looks like I am going to have the 15th and 18th pick in my draft. How should that affect my strategy?

Starting lineups will be one of the following (my choice)

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, DEF
1 QB, 1 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, DEF
1 QB, 3 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, DEF

Should I still take the best two RB's or 1 RB and 1 WR, or two WR's. Or even a QB.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Spare Tire
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Mon May 10, 2004 2:20 pm

EEks. That's a tough one. I think if two stud RBs are out there you have to take them. That said, don't plan on it. Take the best RB out there you can and if a top tier WR is out there do it or QB do it. You need to make the most out of those two picks.

Friendliness: %

Postby MMH » Mon May 10, 2004 2:29 pm

Tough to say really if we dont know who is available.

If you cant get say a Steven Davis and Fred Taylor combo then I would take them. If you have to make do with Davis and say Michael Bennett then I would have a look and see if Randy Moss. Marvin Harrison etc is available and then hope for a deep RB pick up along the likes of Kevin Barlow or Dominick Davis.

I would shy away from QB until round 4. The only QB's worth taking in round 3 or lower (Manning, Culpepper, possibly Vick) will be gone by then anyway.
MMH
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Big Pimpin' » Mon May 10, 2004 2:39 pm

agreed. i think with your first pick you should take the top back available then asses the talent on the second pick. if there is no other decent #1 back out there then i would hope there is a top wr available and go with him. you would be better off with s.davis and holt rather than s.davis and m.bennett if you ask me. but take the best rb available with your 3rd pick definitely if you don't take your #2 back with the second pick.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Mon May 10, 2004 2:43 pm

MMH wrote:If you cant get say a Steven Davis and Fred Taylor combo then I would take them. If you have to make do with Davis and say Michael Bennett then I would have a look and see if Randy Moss. Marvin Harrison etc is available and then hope for a deep RB pick up along the likes of Kevin Barlow or Dominick Davis.

From reading this it sounds like you're implying that Barlow/D. Davis might be around at the end of the 3rd round, IE 47th overall.......uh, yeah right.....
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby kashikis » Mon May 10, 2004 3:04 pm

more than likely you will get the most talent from a RB/WR combo but you never know the way some drafts go especially in deep legues like this
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby the edge » Mon May 10, 2004 3:24 pm

I had these same picks last year and was able to pick up James in the first round and Jamal Lewis on the way back through. I did win my league, too. My point is I would go with two backs because another guy like Lewis may surprise people(think a Dom. Davis or Barlow...guys assured of playing time) and it is way harder once the season starts to pick up a decent back than it is to find a serviceable WR. Thus much greater trading power for you if you decide to focus on using one back later on.
the edge
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 9er Fan » Mon May 10, 2004 3:25 pm

I think you have to take at least one running back, maybe two depending on who falls. My gut tells me I'd take one RB and one of Moss/Holt/Harrison. If Moss/Holt/Harrison are all gone, I'd take 2 RB.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon May 10, 2004 3:41 pm

OK, here is a best guess on how your draft will probably shake down:

These 14 will be gone before you pick:

LT2, Holmes, Portis, A. Green, Deuce, Alexander, Ricky, Jamal, Edge, Randy, Faulk, Taylor, Harrison, Holt

Which means, you then take Stephen Davis...

All of these dudes will be left:

D. Davis
C. Dillon
T. Henry
K. Barlow
R. Johnson

At 18, you then take the highest rated one of those guys (in your mind) that is still around. I have them listed the way I would rank them.

Good QB's can be found in later rounds, as well as servicable WR's... IF Moss/Holt/Harrison was still on the board at your #18 pick, I would take one of them, but they won't be. AND if Moss is around at your #15 pick, I would take him, but he'll only drop to around #9 or #10...

That's my take on your first 2 picks...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon May 10, 2004 10:51 pm

Man, I would take any of the 5 RBs you mentioned (Henry, Rudi, DD, Dillon, Barlow) over Stephen Davis.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk