3 rookie RBs...Which one??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3 rookie RBs...Which one???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Play Maker » Tue May 11, 2004 2:18 am

Canacuna wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
Canacuna wrote:If Parcells could get Hambrick to produce some semi-decent numbers, imagine what he could do with Julius.

Hambrick's numbers don't even qualify as semi-decent. To play an entire season and not be able to get 1000 yards is pathetic. That's 60 yards a game...

Well, for a guy with Hambrick's talent (or lack thereof), those numbers look pretty damn good to me.

Same here but there is a point where a rb that starts 16 games and dosent get over a 1,00 yards. Even I would have a better chance yea right 8-o. My 4.6 in the 40 wouldnt cut it.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 11, 2004 5:52 am

sorry to get off the topic, but i think this season we will finally see to what extent the Denver "system" positively impacts on a RB. Its as close to a controlled experiment as we're gonna get i think, with Portis leaving still in his prime. If Portis falls out of the top 5 then we can safely assume the Denver O Line is a big factor in his positive numbers so far. If Portis continues to excell and Tatum (or whoever gets the carries) dissapoints, then we can agree that this plug anyone into the "system" and expect 1500 yards is one of the great hyped up assumptions.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 11, 2004 8:19 am

aussieboy wrote:sorry to get off the topic, but i think this season we will finally see to what extent the Denver "system" positively impacts on a RB. Its as close to a controlled experiment as we're gonna get i think, with Portis leaving still in his prime. If Portis falls out of the top 5 then we can safely assume the Denver O Line is a big factor in his positive numbers so far. If Portis continues to excell and Tatum (or whoever gets the carries) dissapoints, then we can agree that this plug anyone into the "system" and expect 1500 yards is one of the great hyped up assumptions.

Obviously you dont believe in the system, but thats fine. One point however - they cant plug any RB into the system and expect them to be effective. The system is actually designed for a specific type of RB.

Also, whoever is the starting RB in DEN will go through a learning curve, so dont expect him to be brilliant out of the gate - as with Portis, it usually takes a few games.

Shanahan is the type of coach who usually guards his thoughts on who will be the starting RB pretty tight, so drafting one before the season starts is a bit of a gamble.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Tue May 11, 2004 12:55 pm

If recent history is anything, it will be some unheralded 2nd rounder or a guy who was 1st round talent but slipped for character concerns.

At this stage, go with the guy with the least amount of competition. Right now that's Julius Jones. If you can't win the starting job from Hambrick, you're garbage.

Tatum Bell doesn't have a TON of competition, but Anderson might surprise since he's never been given the chance to reclaim his starting job.

Kevin Jones has a decent amount of competition from Artose Pinner and the underappreciated Shawn Bryson.

Oh let's not forget Cedric Cobbs in New England. If Dillon falters, this guy ran a 4.43 40 and benched 410 pounds.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 11, 2004 1:15 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Tatum Bell doesn't have a TON of competition, but Anderson might surprise since he's never been given the chance to reclaim his starting job.

Kevin Jones has a decent amount of competition from Artose Pinner and the underappreciated Shawn Bryson.

Bell, Hearst, Anderson, and Griffin are all trying to compete, but IMO Anderson wont be given the job simply because they want him to remain their FB. Heres an interesting piece on the situation:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7314747

As for KJ, he may have a harder time taking the job from Pinner than many people think - just like you noted. As a Lions fan, I'm not sold on him. I would much rather see a big, downhill runner who can break a tackle or two on this team than the small speedster types we currently have in Jones and Pinner. I just think it would compliment the spped we have on the outside a bit better - make defenses start guessing a bit more.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Poobah » Tue May 11, 2004 1:33 pm

From a lack of competition note, you have to take Orange Julius. Or, since he's in Big D, Blue Julius. I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of a RBBC form through at least the first part of the season between Kevin Jones, Shawn Bryson, and Artose Pinner in Motor City (mooch, straighten these guys up, will ya?). How long did we wait for that Hearst/Barlow situation to straighten out in SF? Who was the coach?

The prosecution rests....
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby KingGhidra » Tue May 11, 2004 6:50 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: I would much rather see a big, downhill runner who can break a tackle or two on this team than the small speedster types we currently have in Jones and Pinner.

That's basically James Stewart right there. Did you guys re-sign him? I can't remember... Antowain Smith is still looking for work too I think.
:-b
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 12, 2004 12:40 am

KingGhidra wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote: I would much rather see a big, downhill runner who can break a tackle or two on this team than the small speedster types we currently have in Jones and Pinner.

That's basically James Stewart right there. Did you guys re-sign him? I can't remember... Antowain Smith is still looking for work too I think.
:-b

James Stewart in his prime would be a good candidate.

I might be overreacting a bit - sometimes I forget we have one of the best run blocking FBs in the league in Schlesinger. I just think a big powerful Jamal Lewis type would be a better fit - thats all.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Wed May 12, 2004 3:03 pm

Yea, wouldn't most everyone want a Jamal Lewis type though?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Wed May 12, 2004 5:02 pm

kevin jones

detroit throws a lot of passes to its rb and i made amental note to take whoever their starting rb was

now i know that jones is a poor receiver compared to jackson or perry but i think he will improve enough through camps to be serviceable as a receiver and seperate from that he shoudl eb a better runner that the other choice

tatum bell is appealing but its a mish mash in denver at rb lots of people handed the ball there this year
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk