Torry Holt = Over-Rated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Torry Holt = Over-Rated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Torry Holt = Over-Rated?

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 10, 2004 11:03 pm

...I didn't want people to take away from the posts at the "Jamal Lewis is Under-Rated" debate...

Anyway, many people have Torry Holt in their top three WR rankings. Last year he had a stud-like year, posting plenty of TDs and stacking up the yardage. He's had no problem with the yardage factor before last season, however he was never known as a big TD guy in the past. Was this an abberation (is that the correct word?), or was it just the beginning of ultimate stud-dom? Eh?

Discuss...

...or whatever.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Mon May 10, 2004 11:20 pm

Last year he had a different QB who looked his way more around the endzone. Bruce was Warner's guy.

Friendliness: %

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 11, 2004 1:28 am

I agree with "guest". Last season was the first season that Holt outscored Bruce significantly. The only other season where it occured was back in 2001 when Holt scored 7 TD and Bruce scored 6. The two factors that have since changed are 1) the QB and 2) Bruce's age. I personally put Holt ahead of Harrison this season. I don't see why he wont get atleast 1500 yards and 10 scores again this year.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Tue May 11, 2004 2:09 am

I agree about overrated. He is... simple. Faulk scores the TD's on that team. When Faulk was down, Holt stepped in. Neither Bruce or Holt have had lots of TD's in there career. It doesn't matter which QB it is it matters if Faulk is healthy.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Play Maker » Tue May 11, 2004 2:12 am

aussieboy wrote:I agree with "guest". Last season was the first season that Holt outscored Bruce significantly. The only other season where it occured was back in 2001 when Holt scored 7 TD and Bruce scored 6. The two factors that have since changed are 1) the QB and 2) Bruce's age. I personally put Holt ahead of Harrison this season. I don't see why he wont get atleast 1500 yards and 10 scores again this year.

My top 3 wr's would be as follows

1.) Randy Moss - What kind of numbers could he put up if actually worked hard each down and not take just about every other one off. (lazy a$$)

2.) Torry Holt - Holt is Bulgers go to guy and Bruce isn't getting any younger or faster. So my guess another 1500 yrds rec 10 td season. (A stud is born)

3.) Marvin Harrison - Even though hes getting a bit in the age he is still producing and has the best Pocket QB in the league with Manning & a ground game with James.

Others that were close:
Terrel Owens - He will draw even more double teams now, then when he was with the 49ers, I suspect for Owens to have a down year until he re adjusts which he will.

Peerless Price
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby NittanyLions » Tue May 11, 2004 6:02 am

I think with Bulger throwing to him he should keep his numbers up. But I think a lot of people are forgetting he only had one very good year, and that was last year. I have him at #3. Faulk may steal some of those plays from him, but I don think it will really hurt him...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue May 11, 2004 6:30 am

Play Maker wrote:My top 3 wr's would be as follows

1.) Randy Moss - What kind of numbers could he put up if actually worked hard each down and not take just about every other one off. (lazy a$$)

2.) Torry Holt - Holt is Bulgers go to guy and Bruce isn't getting any younger or faster. So my guess another 1500 yrds rec 10 td season. (A stud is born)

3.) Marvin Harrison - Even though hes getting a bit in the age he is still producing and has the best Pocket QB in the league with Manning & a ground game with James.

Others that were close:
Terrel Owens - He will draw even more double teams now, then when he was with the 49ers, I suspect for Owens to have a down year until he re adjusts which he will.

Peerless Price

I agree with your top 4 completely.

I sure hope you dont have Peerless Price at #5
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 11, 2004 6:42 am

Usually it takes WR a while to adjust to various factors when they change teams. Owens won't be immune to this general rule. His slow start will ensure he won't finish in the top 4. I like Hines Ward to take that next step and enter the realm of the studly WR and achieve top 4 honours.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 11, 2004 8:39 am

Moss
Harrison
C. Johnson
Holt
Owens

I am excited to see what Owens will do in PHI - so many people are downgrading him right now, he looks to be a bargain as a late 2nd rd pick.

C. Johnson is my darkhorse to crack the top 3 this yr.

I agree with a lot of you on Holt in that he will continue to impress, but I dont expect the TD output from last yr to continue.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 11, 2004 9:09 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Moss
Harrison
C. Johnson
Holt
Owens

I am excited to see what Owens will do in PHI - so many people are downgrading him right now, he looks to be a bargain as a late 2nd rd pick.

C. Johnson is my darkhorse to crack the top 3 this yr.

I agree with a lot of you on Holt in that he will continue to impress, but I dont expect the TD output from last yr to continue.

Why are you putting Holt below a WR who didn't reach Holt's numbers last yr and will have essentially a rookie QB throwing to him this yr? Are you just guessing or do you have a reasonable explanation for this. I'm not saying it won't happen im just curious to find out why you believe it will happen.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk