Who's your #2 in a dynasty league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Who's your #2 in a dynasty league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Guest » Wed May 12, 2004 12:59 pm

maddog60 wrote:This has been done to death.

In a dynasty, if you can get LT2, anywhere, take him. If not, take Priest.

Portis has yet to prove he's not just a product of the Denver offensive line, and 4 rookie RBs out of the past 6 years seem to indicate otherwise.
Green is no more an age concern than Priest, but less effective.

No one lese could even be compared to Priest for the raw points he puts up every game.

As for his age... He has not been starting his entire career. He's been a feature back for about 3 years now (maybe had one lousy full-time year early on in his career). Not not the years, its the mileage, and not only is he extremely low mileage for a featured back his age, but he's well taken care of. He has excellent backups that fill in noticeably often when the game is already decided or Priest just broke off for 2 consecutive 1st down runs. His coaching staff seems knowledgeable of his age, and dedicated towards making sure their prize offensive weapon is injury free and breaking records for the next few years to come.


Green's 4 years younger, that's a lot. I'd throw Deuce in there as well, he's only 25, and is capable of 2100 total yards and 15 TDs.
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 12, 2004 1:37 pm

Wow, when I was looking up Ahman's age I found out he has the same birthday as me :O
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby maddog60 » Wed May 12, 2004 2:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:Who says it's mileage and not age?


Well, technically, Indiana Jones (was hoping someone would get the reference). But premise remains the same. The mileage on a car is going to influence how long it lasts. Wear and tear does a lot more damage than sitting around getting older in the garage. Likewise, for a RB, the amount of carries (which is a good estimate on times they've been tackled) are more important than age.

Irregardless, he's the best RB in fantasy football right now. Sorry to all those Duece and Portis fans, but there's nothing at all to indicate he's going to stop outproducing them this year. Having the opportunity to take the best player in the entire draft and not do so, well, it just seems silly to me. Even if you feel he's going to crap out any given year, get your draft choice's worth out of him this year, and trade him for a younger stud RB with probably an extra rookie draft choice, or maybe a decent WR thrown in at the end of this season.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 12, 2004 2:24 pm

maddog60 wrote:Irregardless, he's the best RB in fantasy football right now. Sorry to all those Duece and Portis fans, but there's nothing at all to indicate he's going to stop outproducing them this year. Having the opportunity to take the best player in the entire draft and not do so, well, it just seems silly to me. Even if you feel he's going to crap out any given year, get your draft choice's worth out of him this year, and trade him for a younger stud RB with probably an extra rookie draft choice, or maybe a decent WR thrown in at the end of this season.


Your making a pretty big assumption in that you could trade him for a young stud RB at the end of the yr. Since its a dynasty league - age and health must be a larger factor than normal. Ideally the player you want is not only someone who will produce big this yr, but in the future as well.

Your argument could have been made in 1999 and just had the name Marshall Faulk replace Priest Holmes.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Wed May 12, 2004 2:46 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Who says it's mileage and not age?


Well, technically, Indiana Jones (was hoping someone would get the reference). But premise remains the same. The mileage on a car is going to influence how long it lasts. Wear and tear does a lot more damage than sitting around getting older in the garage. Likewise, for a RB, the amount of carries (which is a good estimate on times they've been tackled) are more important than age.

Irregardless, he's the best RB in fantasy football right now. Sorry to all those Duece and Portis fans, but there's nothing at all to indicate he's going to stop outproducing them this year. Having the opportunity to take the best player in the entire draft and not do so, well, it just seems silly to me. Even if you feel he's going to crap out any given year, get your draft choice's worth out of him this year, and trade him for a younger stud RB with probably an extra rookie draft choice, or maybe a decent WR thrown in at the end of this season.


Nobody's going to trade you Deuce or Portis at the end of the season for a 32 year old Holmes. His value is going to drop more quickly than the younger backs from year to year.
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Wed May 12, 2004 2:52 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Who says it's mileage and not age?


Well, technically, Indiana Jones (was hoping someone would get the reference). But premise remains the same. The mileage on a car is going to influence how long it lasts. Wear and tear does a lot more damage than sitting around getting older in the garage. Likewise, for a RB, the amount of carries (which is a good estimate on times they've been tackled) are more important than age.

Irregardless, he's the best RB in fantasy football right now. Sorry to all those Duece and Portis fans, but there's nothing at all to indicate he's going to stop outproducing them this year. Having the opportunity to take the best player in the entire draft and not do so, well, it just seems silly to me. Even if you feel he's going to crap out any given year, get your draft choice's worth out of him this year, and trade him for a younger stud RB with probably an extra rookie draft choice, or maybe a decent WR thrown in at the end of this season.


You can't really compare a living organism to a car. I get the reference but regardless of whether it's being used or not the body is continually being broken down. Around the age of 30, bone reaches it's maximum density, testosterone reaches a peak around 20, ligaments and tendons aren't as pliable as they were in the teens and 20's and lean muscle mass is harder to achieve and maintain. There is a reason most athletes peak in their late 20's, early 30's in contact sports. Again, this is from a dynasty league perspective. Redraft, I'll chance it and take him.
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby CC » Wed May 12, 2004 3:06 pm

If you've watched a KC game in the last 2 years you will note that the O-line pushes their men so far off the ball, Priest runs a good 5 yards before he is touched. This reduces the wear and tear in comparison to say, Ricky Williams.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby awwchrist » Wed May 12, 2004 3:51 pm

Getting crunched by a 300lbs DL is no different at the line of scrimmage or 5 yards upfield.

I'm all for allowing the opinion that Priest can garnish the 2 spot in a dynasty draft, but to simply disregard the physical abuse he's taking because of where he gets tackled? Not buying it.

He's got 1713 touches on his 30 year odometer. He's had 3 great years of production, 2 of MVP stature. But his high level of TD the last two years have virtually been unmatched at the RB spot with exception to Faulk's 2000-2001 seasons.

A lot of people will get scared of Holmes because he's primed for a let down. Either because of age, injury, or the offensive system will change and he'll see less reps, carries, etc.

Feel confident he's got two good years left. After that, start shopping.
Image
________________________________________
26-13
Only 3 leagues this year. No sense in rooting for everyone in the NFL.
awwchrist
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9433
Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: see that 1:hidden? That's me.

Postby Guest » Wed May 12, 2004 4:05 pm

awwchrist wrote:Getting crunched by a 300lbs DL is no different at the line of scrimmage or 5 yards upfield.

I'm all for allowing the opinion that Priest can garnish the 2 spot in a dynasty draft, but to simply disregard the physical abuse he's taking because of where he gets tackled? Not buying it.

He's got 1713 touches on his 30 year odometer. He's had 3 great years of production, 2 of MVP stature. But his high level of TD the last two years have virtually been unmatched at the RB spot with exception to Faulk's 2000-2001 seasons.

A lot of people will get scared of Holmes because he's primed for a let down. Either because of age, injury, or the offensive system will change and he'll see less reps, carries, etc.

Feel confident he's got two good years left. After that, start shopping.


Yep, haven't seen anything like it since Faulk's 2000, 2001 and 2002.........oops, scratch Faulk's 2002 season.
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Wrestleannouncer » Thu May 13, 2004 9:27 am

Priest... he's shown no reason to pass him up over the past three years, so why now? Portis would be behind him, then probably LT for me, because with the WR situation and the lack of a line, LT is going to struggle to get his yards. He will get them though.

Only bright spots on that team right now are LT and Rivers (yeah I'm biased, went to NC State... but the guy is ridiculous.) Next year, when SD probably drafts a WR early and focuses on the line, maybe a Braylon Edwards or a Mike Williams, then LT may have a little bit of help.
Wrestleannouncer
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:41 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact