Who's your #2 in a dynasty league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who's your #2 in a dynasty league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 3:02 pm

Wrestleannouncer wrote:Priest... he's shown no reason to pass him up over the past three years, so why now? Portis would be behind him, then probably LT for me, because with the WR situation and the lack of a line, LT is going to struggle to get his yards. He will get them though.

Only bright spots on that team right now are LT and Rivers (yeah I'm biased, went to NC State... but the guy is ridiculous.) Next year, when SD probably drafts a WR early and focuses on the line, maybe a Braylon Edwards or a Mike Williams, then LT may have a little bit of help.

Because in runningback years, he's an old man now.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 13, 2004 3:07 pm

And in runnign back years, he was an old man by like week5 or something of last season. Turning 30 didn't stop him from breaking records, and all the the situational variables (such as not having been a feature back his entire career) indicate the likelihood that normal running back age standards aren't going to apply to him.

If you're so caught up on his age that you refuse to give any merit to counter-arguments explaining why his age is not the alpha and omega of this particular RB's life as an elite RB, then just leave it at that. This is getting really repetitive.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu May 13, 2004 3:14 pm

maddog60 wrote:If you're so caught up on his age that you refuse to give any merit to counter-arguments explaining why his age is not the alpha and omega of this particular RB's life as an elite RB, then just leave it at that. This is getting really repetitive.

How about that degenerative hip disorder, maddog? should we not factor that in either?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MCG321 » Thu May 13, 2004 3:47 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:If you've watched a KC game in the last 2 years you will note that the O-line pushes their men so far off the ball, Priest runs a good 5 yards before he is touched. This reduces the wear and tear in comparison to say, Ricky Williams.

Whether it's a loss of five or a gain of five, a tackle still takes its toll. The only thing that will reduce wear and tear is number of carries. If someone has 400 carries at 5 ypc, that's going to wear them out more than 300 carries at 3.5 ypc.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Thu May 13, 2004 3:49 pm

Wrestleannouncer wrote:Priest... he's shown no reason to pass him up over the past three years, so why now? Portis would be behind him, then probably LT for me, because with the WR situation and the lack of a line, LT is going to struggle to get his yards. He will get them though.

Only bright spots on that team right now are LT and Rivers (yeah I'm biased, went to NC State... but the guy is ridiculous.) Next year, when SD probably drafts a WR early and focuses on the line, maybe a Braylon Edwards or a Mike Williams, then LT may have a little bit of help.

The WR situation and lack of line? Well, he was in an almost identical situation last year, so if that output was a "struggle", I'd gladly draft him first and watch him "struggle" again.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu May 13, 2004 4:57 pm

MCG321 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:If you've watched a KC game in the last 2 years you will note that the O-line pushes their men so far off the ball, Priest runs a good 5 yards before he is touched. This reduces the wear and tear in comparison to say, Ricky Williams.

Whether it's a loss of five or a gain of five, a tackle still takes its toll. The only thing that will reduce wear and tear is number of carries. If someone has 400 carries at 5 ypc, that's going to wear them out more than 300 carries at 3.5 ypc.

Thats not what I'm trying to say, I mean that Priest usually only gets hit once or twice a play, as opposed to Ricky Williams taking multiple hits before he goes down.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 8:09 pm

maddog60 wrote:And in runnign back years, he was an old man by like week5 or something of last season. Turning 30 didn't stop him from breaking records, and all the the situational variables (such as not having been a feature back his entire career) indicate the likelihood that normal running back age standards aren't going to apply to him.

If you're so caught up on his age that you refuse to give any merit to counter-arguments explaining why his age is not the alpha and omega of this particular RB's life as an elite RB, then just leave it at that. This is getting really repetitive.

Your counter arguments are equally as repetitive. Yep, mileage over age, got it.

Friendliness: %

Postby maddog60 » Fri May 14, 2004 12:07 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
maddog60 wrote:If you're so caught up on his age that you refuse to give any merit to counter-arguments explaining why his age is not the alpha and omega of this particular RB's life as an elite RB, then just leave it at that. This is getting really repetitive.

How about that degenerative hip disorder, maddog? should we not factor that in either?

That hip looked pretty good when Priest was making plays all last year. That was the big worry going into last year, and Holmes proved he had recovered. I'd worry more about Portis missing a few games year season from injuries that seemed to be mounting than I would the hip problem that certainly hasn't slowed Holmes down. (And just so you don't take that the wrong way, I don't think Portis's injuries would keep me from taking him at #3 in a dynasty draft).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 14, 2004 8:16 am

maddog60 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

That hip looked pretty good when Priest was making plays all last year. That was the big worry going into last year, and Holmes proved he had recovered. I'd worry more about Portis missing a few games year season from injuries that seemed to be mounting than I would the hip problem that certainly hasn't slowed Holmes down. (And just so you don't take that the wrong way, I don't think Portis's injuries would keep me from taking him at #3 in a dynasty draft).

So basically, when drafting for Keeper leagues, age and injury history hold no bearing on your selections. got it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk