Rudi Johnson signs 1 year deal. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rudi Johnson signs 1 year deal.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rudi Johnson signs 1 year deal.

Postby awwchrist » Tue May 11, 2004 5:58 pm

Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - The Cincinnati Bengals signed running back Rudi Johnson to a one-year contract on Tuesday.

Johnson was a restricted free agent after last season, but Cincinnati tendered him a one-year $1.8 million offer. Johnson, who emerged as a starting running back last season, waited until after the Bengals' rookie mini camp to sign the one-year offer.

After Corey Dillon suffered a groin injury early on last season, Johnson exploded onto the scene and ran for 957 yards and nine touchdowns.

Cincinnati traded a disgruntled Dillon last month to New England after it seemed inevitable that Johnson would be the Bengals starter.

Chris Perry, a top draft pick out of Michigan, will be used as a back up to Johnson this coming season.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nebbie2004 » Tue May 11, 2004 6:31 pm

Looks like the future might be going to Chris Perry after all.
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pete123444 » Tue May 11, 2004 6:48 pm

Just a one year deal? My bet is that they give Perry every oppurtunity to get the ball and maybe the #1 job by the end of the year.They must not be too high on Rudi.I don't know about y'all , but rudi isn't too high on my sheets.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby NittanyLions » Tue May 11, 2004 7:43 pm

Not exactly the long-term deal I expected. I agree they will probably test Perry and see what hes got, and give him the nod next year if he can. That would be nice if we picked him up next year :-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Tue May 11, 2004 8:57 pm

Rudi received the highest restricted tender, and they most likely will talk longer term contract before the season starts.

I really dont think you can look too much into this, Bulger signed a 1 year tender before they negotiated a long term contract this year as well. This just gets him into camp, so he can practice while the negotiations are going on.

The addition of Perry means
1) more competition for the starting RB spot, which is always good - and may the best man win

and

2) Rudi's agent cant make absurd demands
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Tue May 11, 2004 9:01 pm

i have to disagree with the idea that the bengals drafted perry just for good competition and to keep an agent honest, they had to feel like they had a need there.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue May 11, 2004 9:15 pm

Pete123444 wrote:Just a one year deal? My bet is that they give Perry every oppurtunity to get the ball and maybe the #1 job by the end of the year.They must not be too high on Rudi.I don't know about y'all , but rudi isn't too high on my sheets.

I think you are way off, they want to keep Rudi but they probably are not able to reach a long-term deal. They may also want to groom Perry as a cheaper alternative to Rudi, so that it isn't necessary to sign Rudi at the end of the season.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue May 11, 2004 11:04 pm

Flux wrote:Rudi received the highest restricted tender, and they most likely will talk longer term contract before the season starts.

I really dont think you can look too much into this, Bulger signed a 1 year tender before they negotiated a long term contract this year as well. This just gets him into camp, so he can practice while the negotiations are going on.

Great point you make here Flux, I concur. There has to be more to this than meets the eye.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Flux » Tue May 11, 2004 11:09 pm

Pete123444 wrote:i have to disagree with the idea that the bengals drafted perry just for good competition and to keep an agent honest, they had to feel like they had a need there.

The more you are looking for is that Dillon was traded to the Pats, and Brandon Bennett is now a Buc. That leaves Skip Hicks as their best backup.

RB was definitely a need in the draft, and they had Perry ranked as their #1 RB along w/ a lot/few (depends on your source) other teams. He was the best player available on the board at #24, and they ended up getting him while also gaining an extra pick later on.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed May 12, 2004 3:08 pm

Wow, I would like to know what other teams had Perry ahead of Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones. Those GMs need to pass that joint. I thought the Perry pick was the worst pick in the 1st round.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk