Who will you avoid in '04? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who will you avoid in '04?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 14, 2004 8:09 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:To answer a question on a previous page, i think i would rather have Gonzo, Heap, Winslow, Sharpe, then Shockey would be how i rated them. Sharpe and Shockey both have pros and cons (880 yrs old vs. 2 tds each year) so they could be interchangeable as far as I am concerned. That said I have one of the top 3 so I don't need to worry about this sitch much.

Winslow? seriously? You'ld rather have a holdout overhyped rookie over one of the most productive TEs in recent history - Sharpe, and over a 3rd yr TE who basically set a yardage record for TEs in their first yr.

Winslow is a joke - be warned.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Fri May 14, 2004 8:38 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Winslow is a joke - be warned.

I'll agree that he is over-hyped, and I'll agree that it's possible that he'll be a huge disappointment for Browns fans and FF owners, but there's also a chance that he'll be really special.

Jeff Garcia will bring stability and leadership to the Browns - I really like the Browns' acquisition of him because it seemed that neither Tim Couch or Kelly Holcombe were really trying to lead the team or do something heroic, but rather keep the other on the bench. With that out of the way this year, I think that Garcia will certainly need help - help that Winslow II is certainly capable of lending (see: 2002 Miami Hurricanes).

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned in regards to Winslow II is that he's going to be thrown into the division with arguably the best linebackers in football, that his blistering size advantage over DBs in college isn't nearly as blistering anymore, and his speed isn't exceptional, it's mediocre in these ranks.

I can certainly see both arguments here, but I think his upside is bigger than his downside. To assume he'll have a bad year would be to assume that he will not be able to overcome the obstacles in front of him - but he's got enough momentum with just his name and all this crazy hype behind him.

It'll definitely be an interesting season to watch, for this and many reasons, but I don't think it's fair to call the kid a joke at this stage in his development. I think we'd all agree with you a little more if you were to say that his attitude (regarding the holdout) is less-than-admirable and that he hasn't had a very good camp thus far. But is that substantiation for your claim that he's a joke? I don't think that's a fair statement - but I'm not going to ignore your warning.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deadskunks » Sun May 16, 2004 1:51 am

Agreed with "there's someone on about every team I'd take"... 'cept maybe for the Bears... especially if they are letting Terrell go. With NFC North defenses getting better, Booker's going to have a tough time ...

unless Ditka comes back at TE. :-b
"know the enemy, know yourself; your victory will never be endangered. Know the ground, know the weather; your victory will then be complete"
deadskunks
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby The Guru » Sun May 16, 2004 2:03 am

boston - he is cancer for any fantasy team.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Sun May 16, 2004 11:31 am

The Guru wrote:boston - he is cancer for any fantasy team.

No, he's a cancer for any real team. I don't see how having him on your team will corrupt and alienate your other players.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk