More McKenzie News... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More McKenzie News...

Moderator: Football Moderators

More McKenzie News...

Postby CC » Tue May 11, 2004 9:29 pm

As per usual, from Profootballtalk.com
MCKENZIE, PACK HAD A DEAL

A league source tells us that the Green Bay Packers and cornerback Mike McKenzie reached earlier this year an agreement in principle to resolve his misgivings with his current contract before McKenzie opted to demand a trade from the team that drafted him in 1999.

Per the source, McKenzie generally was unhappy with his contract, especially since he'd been hearing from other players and agents that he'd signed a bad deal prior to the 2002 season. But the source tells us that McKenzie and the Packers reached in February an agreement that would have placated McKenzie.

At issue was a $200,000 workout bonus that McKenzie is scheduled to earn each of the next three seasons. McKenzie requested -- and the Packers agreed -- to convert $100,000 of the amount each year to a mandatory minicamp reporting bonus and the other $100,000 to a training camp reporting bonus.

Though on paper the change would have resulted in no additional money for McKenzie, the revision would have allowed him to work out in the offseason away from Green Bay. And it would have permitted McKenzie to say that he extracted some concessions from a team that arguably got the better of the agent who represented McKenzie prior to his most recent advisor, Brian Parker.

But we're told that after the Packers committed to the arrangement, McKenzie backed out, eventually requesting a trade.

The problem for McKenzie was, and still is, that he has zero leverage in these discussions.

And we're hearing that if McKenzie opts to retire in lieu of playing out the final three years of the deal, the Packers can recover from him $43,750 per game, which equates to $2.1 million of the $3.5 million signing bonus that McKenzie received when he signed the contract.

Another snag for McKenzie is that when he agreed to convert a $1.75 million roster bonus in 2003 to a guaranteed payment for the purposes of allowing the Pack to spread the cap hit over the life of the deal, the Packers added language that arguably permits them to recoup the unallocated portion of the payment to the tune of $27,343 per game, or an additional $1.312 million over the next three seasons. At the time, McKenzie had no agent, and the insertion of that language is a prime example of what can happen to a guy who tries to deal with a team without the benefit of good, sound guidance,

In all, then, McKenzie could be forced to repay the Packers more than $3.4 million -- nearly as much as his full 2002 signing bonus -- if he doesn't honor his contract.

It remains to be seen whether the Packers will try to seek trade value in exchange for McKenzie. If it happens, look for the Ravens, Steelers, and Cowboys to talk to the Packers about getting a deal done.

And though the Packers are feeling better about their receiving corps with the emergence of Robert Ferguson and Javon Walker, we think that a McKenzie-for-Plaxico swap would be a good deal. The Steelers, however, might have to pony up a draft pick or two to placate the Packers, given that Burress is under contract for only one more season.

I'm sure Steelers fans wouldn't be opposed to this, and I would much rather have a good WR like Plax than a whiny corner who is going to hold out. The Packers took 2 good CBs in the draft, so they have a bit more depth. (Plus I have Plax in my dynasty league, and I'll take Favre and the Packers line over Maddox and the Steelers line anyday ;-) )
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Tue May 11, 2004 9:39 pm

Wow...actually talking about retirement. Just play the damn game, McKenzie.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue May 11, 2004 11:06 pm

McKenzie, I hate the man, but admire the way he plays.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Flux » Tue May 11, 2004 11:14 pm

I think i read before that he was due 4 million or so in salary, and if he doesnt play thats another 3+ million. Cry me a river Mike. Make $4 mill or lose $7.... Youre good, but youre no Champ or Woodson
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Tue May 11, 2004 11:28 pm

Wow all i can say is WOW..........but i like the trade for both teams but MIke is just a WOW
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Tue May 11, 2004 11:36 pm

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings wrote:Wow all i can say is WOW..........but i like the trade for both teams but MIke is just a WOW

?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed May 12, 2004 1:25 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like the agents in their haste to sing up players to big money bonuses seem to forget to go over the fine print. Yeah if you don't fulfill your contract you lose most of your bonuses (because most bonuses are spread out over the length of the contract) and if you don't file these papers you are not a F/A. Aren't these agents supposed to be looking out for their client's best interest? Why do they seem to get the short end of so many contract negoiations?
I think it is because the player agents are chasing $s and haven't got the same amount of experience or skill as the NFL team lawyers who aren't as directly connected to any one contract and have more objectivety and thus clarity. Sorry to babble, but I expect the players to be dumb, but not their agents.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby NittanyLions » Wed May 12, 2004 1:51 pm

Both players seem to have an attitude and I would love to have McKenzie. That is just what we need. I would be sad to see Burress go, but McKenzie is more of a need. I think a tall WR is needed in GB for all those balls Brett just launches up in the air and prays comeone will catch !+)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed May 12, 2004 2:50 pm

I think that this trade would be fairly beneficial for both. Carroll can probably step and be pretty good and the thought of Packers line, Ahman. Favre, Walker and Burress makes me want to cream my pants.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Wed May 12, 2004 3:21 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I think that this trade would be fairly beneficial for both. Carroll can probably step and be pretty good and the thought of Packers line, Ahman. Favre, Walker and Burress makes me want to cream my pants.

::Splatter::

I agree that with Walker, Burress, and Driver the recievers would be finally exciting this year, but I actually think that third-round pick Joey Thomas will win the job instead of Ahmad Carroll - but he doesn't have the bump-and-run experience that Carroll has, so at this point it's a toss-up. I just know that Thomas is taller and has been particularly impressive thus far.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk