Could somebody please explain this to me? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could somebody please explain this to me?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Could somebody please explain this to me?

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed May 12, 2004 9:29 am

Hehe... :-)

Why does everybody dislike Randy Moss so much? Randy has done some dumb things in his life. He squirted an official with water, he said something extremely stupid, and ran into a traffic cop. (going about 10 mph, but yea) Much less all of that was years ago. People always say how he is such a bad person, doesn't try, his stats could be so much better if he would try, he could be the best ever, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, TO is yelling at his coaches, throwing fits that he got traded to a team he didn't want. Steve Smith and Romo are punching teamates. Jamal Lewis is getting accused of trying to buy a bunch of drugs. Ray Lewis killed somebody. All that goes on an more people still say how much of an idiot Moss is. Moss hasn't ever done anything against his team or his coaches. They got a penalty when he sprayed the official but that game was long over at that point anyway. Other than that none of his problems were at his team in any way. In 2001 Chris Carter was the one yelling at coaches and teammates, not Randy.

The other thing I don't understand is everybody says he doesn't try. How do you guys know this? I watch every single Vikings game, record some of them. Maybe once or twice during the course of a game do they show Moss or any other player who doesn't have the ball. People pay to watch action and football, not the WRs running their routes. So that's what they show, the guy with the ball. I have heard the argument many a time that if Moss would try his stats would be the best ever. Have you really thought about what you're saying? I'm not tryin to sound arrogant here but you say that if he would try on the plays where he doesn't get the ball he would have better stats. The last I checked blocks and routes aren't in the box score at the end of the game. Moss trys whenever there's a chance he's gonna get the ball. He tries most of the time when he isn't either. He is blocking downfield a lot. So to say that he could be the best WR ever by trying on the plays where he's not gonna get the ball is a bit of an oxi-moron. (I know, I have a big vocabulary don't I? :-D ) Moss also has never in his career missed a game due to injury. He has been injured many times, like the end of last season. At times he was almost limping off the field but he never missed a game or much of one coming out during it. He also has recently spent $10,000 on a computer so he can analyze plays and watch tape from games. (why it cost 10 grand is beyond me but that's what I heard) The guy is not as bad as half the other players in the NFL and hasn't done anything wrong for years. My final quote from the StarTrib a while back...
Nick Davis wrote:Former Vikings kick returner and wide receiver Nick Davis, who has signed with Miami, has praise for former teammate Randy Moss. "Randy is the most gifted player in the NFL, and everything that he shared with me is invaluable," Davis told NFL.com. "When you see him on the practice field for the first time and share the same position as him, he can do things that amaze you. He is an incredibly good guy, the complete opposite of how he is perceived. Over two years in Minnesota he showed me a lot of kindness, had me over to dinner, and just taught me a lot, which is invaluable.

Ok, I doubt anybody's gonna take the time to read that but I feel better now... :-°
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed May 12, 2004 9:44 am

I think you like to stir up trouble with by asking this same question in most posts that involve Moss....You got to start to relax and let other have their say, defend your boy and move on...these issuses with Moss will be quieter as time goes on....but just being 1-2 years removed from most of your faults will not quiet down the masses..not to mention this is a forum and people will say what they want...

you got to keep in mind this isn't just a Vikings fourm (as much as you want it to be) so Moss, TO and the rest of the loud mouths out there are all going to get trashed..

I'll give you one example of a different situation...Fragile Freddy...dude was injuryed 2 years in a row...since then he has played 2 straight years and has done well...yet he is still considered injury prone...

see where I'm going?..Moss has only been a "good boy" for one year, he needs time to repair the damage HE did to himself..

BTW treads like these give people reasons to pick on Moss....

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 12, 2004 10:10 am

Zimm - I think Moss sucks. Hes all hype. Off the field, Im sure hes a terrible person - probably a crackhead junkie with some kind of Oedipus complex.

Im positive this is the yr he will be identified as the Minneapolis Strangler.

Lock him up now before he kills again!
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Wed May 12, 2004 10:26 am

People should really expect nothing exceptional from professional atheletes. Get caught with marijuana? DUI/DWI? Dodging child support? Sex with a minor?

Oh well. People do that too.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Poobah » Wed May 12, 2004 10:37 am

Hero worship of a player isn't any more rational than going out of the way to belittle a player. We expect them to play football. Ironically enough, the charge (true or not) that Moss dogs it a disproportionate amount of the time is the one that will bother most people who like football more than the others. Any segment of the population that is made up of absurdly talented, generally pampered individuals (Hollywood, anyone?) will feature some people of sterling character and some people of less clearly defined morality. No different than a random sampling of average people, but the "famous" ones we get to read about...

Moss has done some stupid things, yet it doesn't stop many from saying he's one of the best, if not the best, WR in the NFL today. However, when you wandered into my topic in Football History and tried to argue that Moss was the best WR EVER, you identified yourself as someone who needs to have his comments taken with a big ol' grain of salt. Therefore, you might as well do the same with the Moss-haters in the Cafe. To me, he's the #1 WR I draft, and about #10 overall. That's all I got to say about him.
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby aussieboy » Wed May 12, 2004 10:46 am

Poobah wrote:Hero worship of a player isn't any more rational than going out of the way to belittle a player. We expect them to play football. Ironically enough, the charge (true or not) that Moss dogs it a disproportionate amount of the time is the one that will bother most people who like football more than the others. Any segment of the population that is made up of absurdly talented, generally pampered individuals (Hollywood, anyone?) will feature some people of sterling character and some people of less clearly defined morality. No different than a random sampling of average people, but the "famous" ones we get to read about...

Moss has done some stupid things, yet it doesn't stop many from saying he's one of the best, if not the best, WR in the NFL today. However, when you wandered into my topic in Football History and tried to argue that Moss was the best WR EVER, you identified yourself as someone who needs to have his comments taken with a big ol' grain of salt. Therefore, you might as well do the same with the Moss-haters in the Cafe. To me, he's the #1 WR I draft, and about #10 overall. That's all I got to say about him.

It's not really like any sample from the general population. NFL Wide Receivers are inherently selfish players that care probably more so than any other position about their numbers. It's like Darwin's theory of Evolution in which the main play is survival of the fittest. To be an elite WR you need to have certain characteristics such as desperately WANTING the ball and being a bit selfish. Yet even within this strange population of people in which we've identified certain non-endearing traits such as selfishness, Moss seems to stand out. I think you hit a nice point when you said Moss doesn't block because blocking isn't a stat that's shown in the box scores. Enough said.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed May 12, 2004 11:29 am

I'm sure Steeler fans would disagree with the "WR are glamor-hogs" with the all-out play of Hines Ward. I don't really know how "greedy" he is, but he gets the job done catching AND blocking. I'm glad TV has shown Hines doing the downfield blocking that he does to spring RB's and other receivers. It's something that other receivers should look for and emulate. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 12, 2004 12:17 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I'm sure Steeler fans would disagree with the "WR are glamor-hogs" with the all-out play of Hines Ward. I don't really know how "greedy" he is, but he gets the job done catching AND blocking. I'm glad TV has shown Hines doing the downfield blocking that he does to spring RB's and other receivers. It's something that other receivers should look for and emulate. ;-D

I think this proves that "WR's are glamor-hogs" more than it disproves it.

The fact that Heinz Ward stands out as an exception because he does the things he's SUPPOSED to do shows that most WR's don't do it. If WR's weren't "glamor hogs" then Ward wouldn't stand out in this regard. But, because he stands out for the the reason that he ISN'T a glamor hog shows that most WR's are. If most WR's did it, Ward doing it wouldn't be anything special.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed May 12, 2004 12:37 pm

Whoa, I'm a little dizzy after that! !+)

I basically meant he's an exception to the rule because he doesn't do those things. That's why I said at the end that others should emulate his style of play instead of waving to the camera! :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed May 12, 2004 12:48 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:I think you like to stir up trouble with by asking this same question in most posts that involve Moss....You got to start to relax and let other have their say, defend your boy and move on...these issuses with Moss will be quieter as time goes on....but just being 1-2 years removed from most of your faults will not quiet down the masses..not to mention this is a forum and people will say what they want...

you got to keep in mind this isn't just a Vikings fourm (as much as you want it to be) so Moss, TO and the rest of the loud mouths out there are all going to get trashed..

I'll give you one example of a different situation...Fragile Freddy...dude was injuryed 2 years in a row...since then he has played 2 straight years and has done well...yet he is still considered injury prone...

see where I'm going?..Moss has only been a "good boy" for one year, he needs time to repair the damage HE did to himself..

BTW treads like these give people reasons to pick on Moss....
I'm really not tryin to stir up trouble but that's been on my my mind for a while now and I just wanted to know. You make a good point, Fred Taylor hasn't gonnen away from that name after 2 good years, I guess it'll take time. That's the other thing though, am I missing something? Is Moss as much of a loudmouth as TO? If Moss woulda never said what he said about playin when he wants to play he wouldn't be condidered a loud mouth. TO says junk all the time, Moss said it once. I see your point though dazed.

I know this isn't a Vikings forum. If it was, I probably wouldn't post as much as I'm here for FF. Seeing as how it's the offseason, most drafts don't start for a couple months, I'm bored.

And believe me, I know that people say what they want... !+)

Oh, and Bagel, my head hurts now... :*)

Poobah, I was more or less joking in that thread, I even know that Moss isn't the best WR ever. One of the most talented I beleive but the best, no. I just don't like Jerry Rice. :-)

One other thing...nobody really even said anything about my real argument. I see what you guys mean about the attitude part and it'll take some time to get over it. There's gotta be somebody that sees my second point differently though.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk