Warner to Motown? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Warner to Motown?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Lushcrush » Thu May 13, 2004 9:19 am

Here's the latest on Warner's thumb ...
http://www.thebrushback.com/warnergod_full.htm
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Thu May 13, 2004 3:00 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Joey Harrington hasn't really shown me anything to prove that he wasn't a Tim Couch-like pick.

I repeat - how do you expect a 2nd yr QB with the worst running game and WRs in the NFL to do?

I never said I expected him to put up great numbers or even to win them a couple of games. I said that he hasn't shown me anything. The kid looks scared to death on the field and has no poise in the pocket. He doesn't throw the ball downfield and he makes a lot of bad decisions. If he can't succeed this year, he is never going to succeed.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu May 13, 2004 3:16 pm

It would be nice if Harrington had some chance to prove himself with this new offense and the new talent that is now around him. if he still is tanking it, then maybe do something. but if you wanted to bring him in as a backup i would be ok with that, but he will want more $$ i am sure than what the lions would want to pay let alone have room for with all their other FA signings this year
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu May 13, 2004 3:23 pm

It will be very interesting to see where Warner ends up. I for one do not want him anywhere near the NFC North. Please don't go to the Bears or Lions is what this Viking fan says!! I think Kurt has some great years left if given the opportunity. I can honestly say that a few years back with the Rams he was the most impressive passer that I have ever seen during that period. Laser accuracy, quick decisions, quick release. Simply amazing. Defenses actually looked scared when they played the Rams. That two or three year run was better than anything I have seen from any other qb including Marino, Favre, Manning, and or Montana/Young. Now before I get all sorts of responses to that statement make sure you understand that I am not saying that over-all he is better than any of those guys. I'm just saying that in that three year window he was incredible - the best I've seen. He is not that far removed from it. He's not that old. I think he still can be an awesome qb in this league. Someone is going to take a gamble on him and be well rewarded!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu May 13, 2004 3:28 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Joey Harrington hasn't really shown me anything to prove that he wasn't a Tim Couch-like pick.

I repeat - how do you expect a 2nd yr QB with the worst running game and WRs in the NFL to do?

I never said I expected him to put up great numbers or even to win them a couple of games. I said that he hasn't shown me anything. The kid looks scared to death on the field and has no poise in the pocket. He doesn't throw the ball downfield and he makes a lot of bad decisions. If he can't succeed this year, he is never going to succeed.

I still cant see how you can judge him on his performance up to this point. He looked scared in the pocket because no one could get open. He doesnt throw the ball downfield because his WRs couldnt run that far that fast. When Rogers was healthy, and able to stretch the field, Joey seemed quite good at putting it in his breadbasket - it was Rogers that looked bad. How can he make bad decisions when he was given no options?

I fully agree that this is a crucial yr for him and he needs to prove he belongs. I also know he hasent looked all that impressive. HOWEVER - there is no way anyone should expect him to "show me anything" up to this point. The best QBs in the league would have looked bad on the Lions last yr.

For goodness sakes - his best options were Schroeder, Hakim, Bryson and Orlandis Gary !+)

Give the kid a break.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Thu May 13, 2004 5:10 pm

Good players still show flashes of brilliance even if they are on a bad team. I just don't see it in Harrington, if he blows up this year, I'll retract my statement but so far I've been unimpressed.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 5:26 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:The kid looks scared to death on the field and has no poise in the pocket. He doesn't throw the ball downfield and he makes a lot of bad decisions. If he can't succeed this year, he is never going to succeed.

These are my exact fears about Joey in a nutshell. I think this is a make or break year for him. He now has the tools to run an explosive offense. If he still shows the indecisiveness and poor decision making, like continuously dumping the ball off to a check down route before giving the receivers a chance to finish their routes, he could be in trouble in Detroit. Millen didn't want to draft him and Mariucci didn't draft him so there are no loyalties there. This is your career, Joey, what's it going to be? Are you going to lead, or run scared?

Friendliness: %

Postby moochman » Thu May 13, 2004 5:32 pm

^^^^^^^^^That was me^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Thu May 13, 2004 11:18 pm

I think Warner would be better in a situation where he could start...I don't like the idea of him going to Detroit, though, because I think that Harrington is capable and shouldn't have to worry about immediate competition. If he can be confident that he is the captain and 'field general,' then we could potentially see some big things. With Warner, you've got to respect that he still holds something like the third best career quarterback rating of all time, which obviously includes the performances that landed him on the Rams' bench in the first place. Given the right opportunity, Warner could prove himself and be a decent fantasy quarterback, (decent because I am convinced that the system run in Warner's hayday, a version of which was occasionally employed by the Rams in 2003, is a quarterback-friendly system and he's not likely to be presented with the kind of weapons and playbook) but I don't want to see him take Joey's job.

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Give the kid a break.

and a chance or two
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk