Kerry Collins... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kerry Collins...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kerry Collins...

Postby Canacuna » Wed May 12, 2004 10:34 pm

I've read a lot about him going to Oakland, but haven't heard much from Baltimore since rumors of Collins' release began a while ago. Anyway, here's a little something...

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:RAVENS WRESTLE WITH COLLINS

A league source tells us that the powers-that-be in Baltimore currently are wresting with the question of whether to pursue free-agent quarterback Kerry Collins.

We're told that head coach Brian Billick and assistant Jim Fassel are in favor of adding Collins to a team that arguably has the horses to contend for a Super Bowl berth. However, G.M. Ozzie Newsome and other members of the front office prefer sticking with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright.

The Billick-and-Fassel camp believes that Boller will be a good NFL quarterback, but that he's not ready to maximize his talents. In a league where the pressure to win now is greater than ever, grooming a young quarterback via a baptism by fire is becoming a less palatable option for head coaches who face an increasing string of "If they can win, why can't we?"-type questions from ownership.

But since front offices in most cities rarely feel the same pressure as the coaching staffs to produce in the short term, it's understandable that the execs will lean toward using the guys whom they've already acquired -- especially when the Ravens gave up a first-rounder in 2004 for the ability to jump back into round one and bag Boller in 2003.

Newsome and company also believe, we're told, that Wright provides a more-than-capable contingency plan in the event that Boller isn't ready. As we see it, however, Boller is far more likely to accept another year or two in the background if the starter is a guy like Collins, who was drafted higher than Boller and who has a Super Bowl appearance on his resume.

Was anyone actually impressed by Boller's play last season? Canacuna says, "Bring in Collins, let Boller learn for a year or two on the sideline." The offense is probably going to have enough problems already - why not bring in a proven/decent QB to try and lessen the below averageness of it?
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 12, 2004 10:37 pm

I don't really think Boller is ever gonna amount to much. He's one of those people that got picked waaaaaaaaaaay too early in the draft because he was graded by the "numbers" he put up in the combine rather than his actual on the field play.

They could probably get Collins for a bargain by now, I think they should go for it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Play Maker » Wed May 12, 2004 10:50 pm

Kyle could be a solid quarterback but he would learn more if they signed Kollins and started him. Just to see what to do and learn a few things from a qb that had a up n down career.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Str8 Pimpin-Vikings » Wed May 12, 2004 11:43 pm

I like Kyle over Collion im sorry, Collins has over 100 fumbles in his career and 134 picks thrown more then his pass TD, he is a huge TO prone Qb and boller i think can step in a do a decent job, because no QB thats out there could do a better ten decent job with the RAvens WR
Vikings ALL THE WAY!!!
Pepper..MoSs...Bennett

Str8 Pimpin-Vikings
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Thu May 13, 2004 1:29 am

I don't know if Boller is going to be a viable QB or not, but he did show a pretty good arm before his injury and seemed to be grasping the offense. I'd be surprised if they waste their time with Collins.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Thu May 13, 2004 8:05 am

moochman wrote:I'd be surprised if they waste their time with Collins.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the viewpoint of a lot of teams these days...

Poor Kerry... :-)
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NFLknowitall » Thu May 13, 2004 8:27 am

Kerry Collins sure has had a ride. He went from a good college career at Penn State, then the new #1 pick for the Panthers and went to the NFC Championship his 2nd year, then fell on his face while being called a racist and a drunk, then cut, then picked up by the Saints, then cut. Then gets on with the Giants, cleans up his act, takes them to a Super Bowl and now he is cut again.

talk about and up and down 9 years in the NFL. Give him great talent all around him and he can get you to the SB, but if anything is missing, like O-line, RB or WR's (talent wise) then he is just another QB. I think he should go to Oakland. Gannon will be cut, they can't pay him 7 million this year. No way.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby slowkidz » Thu May 13, 2004 9:09 am

TheBigBakedBean wrote:
moochman wrote:I'd be surprised if they waste their time with Collins.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the viewpoint of a lot of teams these days...

Poor Kerry... :-)

there's always the CFL. ;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to Football Talk