Is this everybody's draft strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this everybody's draft strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this everybody's draft strategy?

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri May 14, 2004 3:47 am

I was in 2 fantasy football leagues last season. I implemented this draft strategy in both of them, and made it to the "championship" in each league.

1st: RB
2nd: RB
3rd: WR
4th: TE (Very important to get a top 4 TE--Gonzo, Shockey, Heap, Winslow, they can potentially put up #2 WR type #'s....the talent drops off like crazy after those 4)
5th: WR
6th: QB (If there's any of the elites left, if not i'll wait till I find a good-buy somewhere deeper into the draft)

Best on board all the way through the final 10 rounds. Just racking up on tons of skill position depth(RB/WR/QB)

I dont draft kickers or defense...since I chose kickers and defense based on matchups throughout the season.

Anybody care to share there strategy, and the success they've had with it?
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aussieboy » Fri May 14, 2004 5:11 am

Drafting strategies seldom work when set in stone. There are various factors such as draft postion, players left on the board, size of league etc that make having stubborn draft strategies dangerous. For example if by some chance Randy Moss falls to pick 2.9, in a 10 team league will you take Moss or will you stick to your two RB in the first two rounds strategy?

On another point, the only TE i think thats worth taking within the first 4 rounds is TGonz, and possibly Shockey if you think his TD numbers will rise.

You mentioned that you would only draft a QB in the 6th round if one of the "elite" ones were left. By elite i'm assuming your referring to Culpepper, Manning, Vick, McNabb. These guys are usually gone by the end of the 3rd round, with Culpepper and Manning usually going in the 2nd. So if you want one of the top few QB's your gonna have to draft one earlier than the 6th round.

The best piece of advice i can offer you i think is to do as many mock drafts as you can to get a feel for where certain players are being drafted. Head over to the CLASSIFIEDS forum there is usually someone starting up an ANTSPORTS mock draft.

Good Luck.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri May 14, 2004 5:38 am

we have difference in opinions obviously.

I believe any of the big 4 TE's, could potentially have a 1,000YRD+ 7-10TD season. (#'s similiar to a #2WR..which is like having 3WR's every week) So the price of a 4th round draft pick warrants a T.E. of any of the big 4's caliber.

and ofcourse there's always exceptions to the rules, but there wouldn't be a single player other then a RB i'd take with my first 2 picks. NOBODY. even if Julius Jones is the only RB left, and Culpepper or Moss was available. Over the years playing fantasy football ive learned there's nothing more important then the best 2 RB available in the league, and RB depth.

I actually am pretty strict with the basic layout i have above, but its been successful....if a 3RB falls down past the 2nd round that i value highly, i'd take him over a WR in the 3rd.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby slowkidz » Fri May 14, 2004 5:54 am

if it were everyone's strategy then why do some go WR or QB in the first two rounds? plus you wouldn't be getting players like you have in previous lgs.

the fun part about FF is that there is no set strategy. i've seen a guy take the top two WRs in the first two rnds and go on to win the league. i've taken any combo of QB, WR, RB in the first 3 rounds go on to win the league. it's all up to what works best for you in that particular draft.

on that note, i have seen quite a few people go with the RB, RB WR theory and fail to do anything with it. it can be a good strategy when used properly with WW and trades during the season, but then again any strategy could work out well if you can manage the WW and trades during the season.

one strategy i would love to see a team use is the Reverse Strategy. I'd love to see a team go DEF, K, TE, QB, WR, RB, etc... ;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri May 14, 2004 6:10 am

call me crazy, but i didn't understand a single point you were trying to make.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby slowkidz » Fri May 14, 2004 6:46 am

fantasyfiend wrote:call me crazy,

nah...too easy...

fantasyfiend wrote:but i didn't understand a single point you were trying to make.

the point is that there is no set strategy for drafts. there are too many successful ways to build a good, or even great team. everyone has their own strategy and what works best for them. if the RB, RB, WR works for you, then congrats! ;-D

or maybe it would've been easier if i posted this...

slowkidz wrote:
aussieboy wrote:Drafting strategies seldom work when set in stone. There are various factors such as draft postion, players left on the board, size of league etc that make having stubborn draft strategies dangerous.

I agree.

Next time I'll try to keep it simple instead of putting in my own thoughts and examples. lol ;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby mig28 » Fri May 14, 2004 6:57 am

fantasyfiend wrote: but there wouldn't be a single player other then a RB i'd take with my first 2 picks. NOBODY. even if Julius Jones is the only RB left, and Culpepper or Moss was available.

Is this a joke?
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri May 14, 2004 7:01 am

mig28 wrote:
fantasyfiend wrote: but there wouldn't be a single player other then a RB i'd take with my first 2 picks. NOBODY. even if Julius Jones is the only RB left, and Culpepper or Moss was available.

Is this a joke?

Sure isn't.

I'd rather have 2 everydown full-time backs, then a super-star QB or WR...and only 1RB.

After Julius Jones...there really isn't much left as far as everydown starters.....and a watered down backfield spells trouble.

there are to many QB's and WR's who can have big games....the RB position is like the 2bag position in baseball. but even more scarce and even more in demand.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mig28 » Fri May 14, 2004 7:07 am

Well sir, if it works for you, more power to ya.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby aussieboy » Fri May 14, 2004 7:24 am

I believe any of the big 4 TE's, could potentially have a 1,000YRD+ 7-10TD season. (#'s similiar to a #2WR..which is like having 3WR's every week)

Well in the past 4 seasons (i couldn't be bothered going further back than that), there's only been one TE thats reached 1000 yards and that's TGonz in 2000. In fact in the past 4 seasons only ONE TE has reached 900 yards, once again Gonzales is the guy to achieve this (3 times). Apart from Gonzales in the past 4 seasons a TE has reached the 7TD mark on only 5 occasions. Furthermore none of these TE were on your "top4 TE" list. So what makes you think that all these TE could possibly reach 1000 yards and reach at least 7TD? I'm taking Gonzales out of this argument since i believe he IS worth a top round pick. Don't buy into the hype that often surrounds standout TE such as Winslow and Shockey. Shockey has a total of 4 TD in two years, and you think now he will get 7-10TD in one season?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk