Return to Football Talk

Huge Shannon Sharpe news!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Fri May 14, 2004 1:57 pm

Here's a quote from the article at ESPN:

Sharpe may retire to join CBS

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Denver Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe may have changed his mind about playing in 2004 now that a potential opportunity in television has developed.

The all-time NFL leader in receptions by a tight end, Sharpe spent months considering his retirement, then announced shortly after the draft that he would return for his 15th, and final, season in 2004. Events of the last few days, however, could change his direction.

Sharpe is believed to be the leading candidate to replace Deion Sanders on the in-studio panel of the CBS pregame show, "The NFL Today." He will meet next Tuesday in New York with CBS officials to discuss the position. Sharpe is familiar to CBS executives, having worked the playoffs for the network in the past.

Given that such a high-profile TV position might not be available next spring, when Sharpe had planned to retire, the talkative tight end could alter his timetable. Sanders and CBS parted on Wednesday over compensation issues.

Perhaps sensing Sharpe has changed his mind, the Broncos have signed free agent tight end Byron Chamberlain.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Fri May 14, 2004 2:05 pm

Interestingly enough, he said he'd make his final decision before the draft so the Broncos head office could adjust accordingly. The Broncos didn't draft a TE this draft... Could just be a ploy to extract some more $$$ out of Denver since Shanahan's career at Denver probably stands or falls on this season.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 14, 2004 2:07 pm

I guess I should have thought about old Sharpe taking over for Deion...he's a big talker also!

Well, it may be looking better and better that I decided to take Antonio Gates in my Antsports mock as a "replacement" TE if Sharpe went down...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri May 14, 2004 4:15 pm

Like I could hate that clown Deion any more. Now his inflated ego could take away a good FF option at TE.
It will suck to have him step down this season from both a FF and Bronco standpoint. He would have put up some pretty good numbers. :-t
I love the idea of Sharpe going to the booth. He has always struck me as being an itelligent and articulate player who seemed to be able to talk on subjects that aren't dorectly related to himself. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Canacuna » Fri May 14, 2004 9:51 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Interestingly enough, he said he'd make his final decision before the draft so the Broncos head office could adjust accordingly. The Broncos didn't draft a TE this draft... Could just be a ploy to extract some more $$$ out of Denver since Shanahan's career at Denver probably stands or falls on this season.

I was ready to post basically the same thing...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CC » Sat May 15, 2004 10:05 am

I don't want him to retire, but he would be a damn good announcer in the booth.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat May 15, 2004 11:55 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I don't want him to retire, but he would be a damn good announcer in the booth.

Hes a really funny guy and is just great top listen to

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat May 15, 2004 1:52 pm

Update...

USA Today - Shannon Sharpe, eight-time Pro Bowl tight end for the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens, is expected to replace Deion Sanders on CBS' NFL Today studio show. "We're having very serious talks with Shannon's representative and we would hope to have something concluded early next week" CBS Sports President Sean McManus said Saturday. "We're working out the final details."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby VHawk15 » Sat May 15, 2004 2:05 pm

Winslow=top 4 TE

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Sat May 15, 2004 2:30 pm

Homeless wrote:Seriously now,Byron Chamberlain are they insane ! what a massive step down that will be.

no kidding chamberlain is CRAP!
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk