New to Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New to Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

New to Football

Postby eftda_ffc » Fri May 14, 2004 12:28 pm

Hey everyone, Iam new to Football. I love Baseball (I am member at the baseball cafe Cafe Profile) but I want to learn about football. Where should I start? I know team names and my fav team is the Titans. I also watched the draft. Thats about it.
eftda_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shatner8 » Fri May 14, 2004 12:45 pm

I would start by participating in some Mock drafts that are going on here at the cafe and at antsports.com. Mock's are very helpful to get a feeling about where a player should be taken. Also, check the cheatsheets on this site, they are very helpful. good luck ;-D
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kashikis » Fri May 14, 2004 1:12 pm

Hey eftda whats up! Welcome to this side of the Cafe.

Don't worry about being new you've got the best teachers around to help you out.

Now onto the beginning steps:

1. Check out the Point of View archives - lots of good beginner articles in there

2. Look over Cheat Sheets - get familiar with whos who and about where they lie

3. Go through this forum - OK we're freaks if anything goes down in relation to the NFL within 15 minutes somebody has it posted in here. This will keep you in tune with what's going on.

4. Venture through the team forums - Good to get info on specific players or what surrounds them. Check out the Titans one first since that's your team. The Hampster is over here too so you'll get updates.

5. MOST IMPORTANT - ask question in this forum. these guys are great and won't rag on ya too much since you have the "L". You'll get a variety of opinions on a subject or at least 4 people agreeing on a fact.

So I say start with that then go from there. If you want shoot me a PM during the day and I'll guide you around.

Check out the Gen Talk forum here it's real active and you'll get to know people over here a little better. It's a great group.

See ya around man ;-D :-D
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 14, 2004 1:24 pm

What are you, lost? :-)

A lot of the same concepts apply from baseball eftda.
You know about value drafting.
You know that there are at least a couple fantasy standouts on every team.
You know there is no substitute for doing your homework.

The main difference is the scoring - normally FFb is points based where yardage and TDs are all important. There are no catagories like 5x5 in FBb. Its pretty basic.

RBs are usually the most important for a couple reasons - the biggest is position scarcity - so the good ones will go in the first rd of pretty much every draft.
Never draft a Kicker till late.
There are only 4-5 TEs worth taking early - T. Gonzalez will go in the 3rd, the other 3-4 will follow in the 4-6th rds.
The only defenses worth taking early this yr are BAL and NE - they will go in the 6th or later.
Im sure Im missing a lot - but other than that - checking out cheat sheets and paricipating in discussions here should be all the homework you need.

Good Luck.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 14, 2004 2:05 pm

Eft, good to see you came over from what we like to call "The Dark Side!" :-)

Kashikis had some great ideas for you. Just like the baseball forum, the best place to ask specific player questions is right here. For drafting help, definitely check out the articles or maybe ask one of the mods to help you find an old thread about drafting help that came out of this forum. They pop up from time to time, and we get plenty of ideas from all the members...they are very helpful for beginners.

Having a fantasy baseball background will surely help you, but there are some differences you have to look at in Fantasy Football that will help you develop a good team from the start and help you to shape in during the season until the finish!

Welcome aboard eft! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Fri May 14, 2004 3:25 pm

Found this on football tutorials.....
altproject wrote:some tutorials:
http://www.tutorialfind.com/tutorials/sports/football/

"for dummies" stuff:
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... d-400.html

check the bottom of that page for more "for dummies" pages about defense and other stuff..

And this on FF tutorials.
Slingblade wrote:http://www.fantasyasylum.com/modules/freecontent/index.php?id=150

FF University at the asylum

Don't know if the links still work, since I can't access them from work. Welcome aboard!
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby The Great Gambini » Fri May 14, 2004 4:25 pm

Hey eftda--
I know you did some sig work over at the BB cafe, maybe you could join in here, it might help you get involved with some of the guys.
As far as football knowledge goes, Kash was right: you'll pick up on most of what you need to know in no time at all.
You might want to look in the Trade/Keeper/Waiver section, just to be familiarized with players and trading and the who's who and what's what these days.
Continue reading up on scoring, types of leagues, what you want, who you don't want, etc. etc.
You may want to follow the drafts of the Cafe leagues; the Nameless Nomads Keeper League is about to start our draft, so it might be beneficial to you to follow along, read and make some comments, we'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

Some recent posts that could aid you:
The FFC GM's Choice Cheat Sheets

QB Rankings
WR Rankings
RB Rankings

Value of RBs vs. QBs and WRs
Who to Avoid in 2004

Of course, there are many more great posts going on all the time here, and always be looking in the Fantasy Football Talk section for news, updates, and all that good stuff. Welcome to the Football side, and I hope you enjoy this game as much as baseball.
[/b][/url]

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri May 14, 2004 4:45 pm

Hey eftda, nice to see ya've came to your senses and decided the play the better fantasy sport. I'm no expert as I haven't been around long either (hence the L in my profile as well) but if ya need an opinion or some help finding somethin I'm on AIM quite often.

Welcome to the "other" side! ;-D
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby aussieboy » Fri May 14, 2004 11:18 pm

Gday mate, i think you can see that there are a lot of people here at the cafe that are prepared to go out of their way to help you out. Make use of this facility. I agree with Kash in terms of what to do to get you started in the world of fantasy football. You've started nice and early, i can assure you with some good research you will be well prepared come draft time at the start of the season.

Good luck.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Tiki » Fri May 14, 2004 11:25 pm

Hey hey hey
i was pretty new to fantsyfootball (still am) as well when I came here (only 2 years b4 last year) and boy i am glad a frnd recommened it because this place helps a lot and there are a lot of cool and nice people..that will answer your questions even though they may be stupid. Also iagree with shatner look at some mocks drafts. Also there are cheat sheets all ovr the internet use those. U know baseball FFL are that much different, have a good draft keep an eye out for people to pick up during the year case of injuries, there will be some good people in the free agency. But most of all i say if u want to stick with it just have fun!! ;-D
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk