Top 15-20 Players? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Top 15-20 Players?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jeru » Sat May 15, 2004 2:42 am

Guttpuppy wrote:I'm not gonna nitpick over 2nd tier RBs here but I've been saying it since he was traded.Portis is not top3 material.

He could break Top5 with a good preseason and that's pushing it,lots of stuff going on with his situation but it seems that some aren't seeing this,same guys that have Boldin still in the Top10 WRs.

Yeah, the new team is a big question mark with Portis, and I can see taking Green, Alexander or McAllister over him, but really every top RB has some questions surrounding him, and I don't think Portis has anymore so.

LT: Will overuse, and complete lack of a respectable passing game catch up to him?
Priest: Wrong side of 30, and his fantasy value is primarily from the copius amounts of TDs, because he isn't that great of a yardage machine anymore. If those dip into the teens, he could fall out of the top 5.
Green: With Favre's thumb healthy, will they use him as much? Was 2003 a break through or a career year?
Alexander: Game to game consistency is still an issue, but I probably see Alexander as the safest RB pick.
McAllister: Coming off minor knee surgery, lack of TDs last year, plus the fact he has gone AWOL in the fantasy playoffs two years in a row. Inconsistent
Lewis: Will lack of QB/WR mean he gets shut down more? Will he be in jail by the time the season starts?

Boldin I am not that worried about, and I think he belongs between the 8th and 12 WRs on the board. I don't agree with the notion that he'll lose signifigant yardage because Fitzgerald is there, because with the system of their new head coach, they are likely to also throw more than they did last year. Moss and Carter both put up 1000+ seasons for a number of seasons under Green, and even before Moss came into the league, there was most years a WR opposite Carter that would still put up huge numbers, all the while with a very questionable QB situation. I think he'll see fewer yards but a few more TDs. I think 80 rec, 1100 yds, 9 TDs is a reasonable expectation for Boldin, and those are top 10 WR numbers.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Guru » Sat May 15, 2004 2:56 am

Guttpuppy wrote:I'm not gonna nitpick over 2nd tier RBs here but I've been saying it since he was traded.Portis is not top3 material.

I think Portis will definatly be a stud this year.

Here's why...

- Redskins O-line with those 2 tackes is better then Denver's this year, IMO.
- Gibbs is a huge RB coach who feeds his RB's the ball,
- I have watched almost every single Denver game for the last 2 years and I think Shanahan hurt Portis more then he helped him. He would always for some reason do some stupid play when the Broncos were in goal-line, like use Mike Anderson. Shanahan is just a bad play caller, especially goal-line. It was like he enjoyed taking td's away from Portis. As good as Portis was in Denver, he really should have been better.

@jeru - You make some good points.
Last edited by The Guru on Sat May 15, 2004 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat May 15, 2004 3:09 am

Portis:It's not the team he's with,it's the team he's not with.

LT:Lack of a passing attack hasn't hurt him so far...

Priest:Same system and players as far as I can see,got a sniff of bigger things last year,now or never?

Green:It's 2 years ago go when the knee didn't require surgery but was "tired" that worries me...still.

Alexander:My RB keeper in one league,looking good.

McAllister:They always choke,serviceable though.

Lewis:Won't be as good as last year for sure.

Boldin:QB questions abound and,he's not Cris Carter.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jeru » Sat May 15, 2004 3:12 am

The biggest issue that I have with Portis is his durability. He is too small to really be a workhorse back in the mould of a Ricky Williams, and he also seems to be a really soft player, missing games for what seem like minor injuries. You can't count on him playing more than 12 games for you if you draft him.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Sat May 15, 2004 9:59 am

The Guru wrote:

Here's why...

- I have watched almost every single Denver game for the last 2 years and I think Shanahan hurt Portis more then he helped him. He would always for some reason do some stupid play when the Broncos were in goal-line, like use Mike Anderson. Shanahan is just a bad play caller, especially goal-line. It was like he enjoyed taking td's away from Portis. As good as Portis was in Denver, he really should have been better.

Samuels is an overrated bum who is living off of his name, he hasn't been good for a few years now. There is no chance in hell the Skins line is better than the Broncos. Portis is too small to get the 350 carries Gibbs will want him to get, and he will probably miss some time due to injury. Also, insulting Mike Shanahan's play-calling is just ignorant. I have Portis @ #4 and I think that's where he will play.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smackthefirst » Sat May 15, 2004 10:10 am

One thing that needs to be said that I dont hear coming up much in conversation is that Washington now has Bugel as their line coach. This is the same man that assembled the Hogs.

Another thing is that Bugel has already said that with Portis' hands they plan on using him as a receiving back out of the backfield more than before.

Right now I put Portis right around 3-4. Pretty even with Green right now.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Sat May 15, 2004 11:23 am

smackthefirst wrote:One thing that needs to be said that I dont hear coming up much in conversation is that Washington now has Bugel as their line coach. This is the same man that assembled the Hogs.

Another thing is that Bugel has already said that with Portis' hands they plan on using him as a receiving back out of the backfield more than before.

Right now I put Portis right around 3-4. Pretty even with Green right now.

In the words of a very wise man named deftdelivery. NEVER listen to what coaches say. I'll believe the receiving out of the backfield when I see it. It's good thay are saying that though.
:-b
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Guru » Sat May 15, 2004 6:13 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
The Guru wrote:

Here's why...

Samuels is an overrated bum who is living off of his name, he hasn't been good for a few years now. There is no chance in hell the Skins line is better than the Broncos. Portis is too small to get the 350 carries Gibbs will want him to get, and he will probably miss some time due to injury. Also, insulting Mike Shanahan's play-calling is just ignorant. I have Portis @ #4 and I think that's where he will play.

I've watched almost every single Broncos game since Portis arrived in Denver, so I know if Shanahann makes bad play calls in the red-zone. Believe me he does. Denver has been a top team in the AFC the last 2 years and they can't even make the playoffs. Shanahann hasn't done a damn thing since Elway retired.

Part of the bad play calling I'm talking about is how Shanahan hurt Portis in the red-zone fantasy wise by using other backs like Anderson.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Sun May 16, 2004 11:41 am

First off, you obviously haven't watched every Broncos game in the last two years or you would know that they did make the playoffs. Anderson didn't vulture ANY TDs from Portis last year, the only 3 games he had TDs in he had 14 or more carries (Portis injuries). Could you please think before you start insulting one of the better coaches in the leagues play-calling.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk