Im being embarrased on Madden, help me improve - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Im being embarrased on Madden, help me improve

Moderator: Football Moderators

Im being embarrased on Madden, help me improve

Postby aussieboy » Sat May 15, 2004 3:19 am

Basically i'm very good on offense however i find it very difficult to stop my opponent. My friend usually ends up winning since he scorers on every possession and stops me once or so. I can beat the computer, but its different when i play my friends. Can someone give me a lowdown on how to play good strong Defence. Thanks.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Play Maker » Sat May 15, 2004 4:36 am

Can you give me some more info like does your pass alot or does he run, or does he have a balanced attack.What team does he uses most of the time and the team you use, and then I'll be able to help you the most of my ability.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby aussieboy » Sat May 15, 2004 5:05 am

Play Maker wrote:Can you give me some more info like does your pass alot or does he run, or does he have a balanced attack.What team does he uses most of the time and the team you use, and then I'll be able to help you the most of my ability.

Sure. We don't use the same teams consistently. He has a very balanced attack, i mean when im a strong defensive team he has difficulty running the ball but when i get him to 3rd and long situations he just sits back in the pocket (even if i call a blitz) and waits for a receiver to get open. Its sooooooo frustrating. Its his passing game that beats me more than his running game i think. Thanks for your help.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Sat May 15, 2004 12:07 pm

I swear I could just about write a dissertation on Madden :p.

I don't have much time right now, but when I do I'll get back to this post.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby UtopianHopes » Sat May 15, 2004 7:15 pm

Hey, you should check this site out. Gives alot of useful tips.

http://www.playmadden.com/
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Sat May 15, 2004 7:41 pm

Well, when playing a friend, I generally try to play a lot of zone, with 1 or 2 blitzers...and on long yardage situations playing man with a blitz. You also have to watch if your CBs get burned deep, if they do, dont do 1-on-1 with the WR cause you really cant stop them, you have to either go into zone or drop a safety back with your 1-on-1 coverage. If you notice you cant penetrate their D-line, bring some LBs or just drop into short zone to stop the run. When I first played my friend, he played with St louis and Mr. Holt. Holt burned me every drive until I started dropping my safeties back. Im not thinking of everything but Ill let ya know if I think of more. This is my way, theres more than one way, but I generally dont give up more than 17 points with my way
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Sun May 16, 2004 1:00 am

Thanks for that guys. That site is pretty cool, cheers.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Play Maker » Sun May 16, 2004 10:28 pm

This is going off my head as my ps2 is messed up and only plays MVP Baseball 04 but working on getting fix, this is what I remember.

Well if you really want to stop the pass I would say to go into a 3-4 def playbook or a Cover 2 but that leaves him, to burn you running the football. The defense playbook I use is the Balance, it has a mixture of run stopping plays and pass stopping plays.

Stopping the Run: Stopping the run is not that difficult, it's just for a few exceptions as your guy getting knock down from a block or him face masking to take the guy down.

There are two basic plays in the 4-3 def formation that stops the run very good and a teams passing if they don't have very fast wr's. The first play is the 4-3 Man QB Spy, spread your lb's out and move your corners up. This play covers all players elidgeble (however you spell it) of getting the ball and won't allow the rb of getting anywhere from 0 to a max of 10 (thats when I use the play may vary for you).
The other is the is the 4-3 Cover 2 or something like that I don't remember the plays name very well as my ps2 doesnt play my Madden no more. This play covers the deep ball good and should keep your lbs as they are and spread your d-line out and corners in, this should stop most if not all of his runs.

In the 3-4 formation I found that theres only 1 play that stops the run good in there and that is the 3-4 Double Coverage. I adivse you that to use this play only when your are sure that he is running the ball, cause if he passes more then likley your burned for a td or a great amount of pass yards. Move everybody up as close to the line as you can, as in that I mean with corners down and etc. If he runs the ball in hes for sure to get no more then 5 yards unless he has a good o-line, if he decides to run it to the outside, then your corner or safety should get him.

Stopping The Pass:

The Passing in Madden 04, is almost impossible to stop as the A.I. is high and there are very few miscues (when you play the computer).

I can't remember much here in the Passing in sorts of stopping it but I try to think of it what i Can.

I don't remember which formation its in but Cover 2 and haveing your two safties playing zone, is the most effective in stopping the deep ball with fast wr's. If you want to stop the flats passing I think the play is called Drop Zone if i remember and works pretty good. Thats the most I remember as of now until I fix my ps2. Good Luck, hope this has been of some help.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 17, 2004 12:27 am

The key to a good strong defense is to not allow the forward progression of the opposing offense - so I'd try and focus on that.

...Sorry, I suck at giving advice in videogames.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Play Maker » Mon May 17, 2004 1:28 am

As soon as I get my PS2 & Madden 04 working, I'll make a guide on what to and not to do on offense,defense and special teams. Well lets just say a complete guide on winning, just only when It gets fixed, hopes thats before Madden 05 comes in aug.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Video Games