Im being embarrased on Madden, help me improve - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Im being embarrased on Madden, help me improve

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Mon May 17, 2004 10:20 am

Play Maker wrote:Well if you really want to stop the pass I would say to go into a 3-4 def playbook or a Cover 2.

This really depends on your opponents skill level. If he is a relative n00b, play cover 2 on him alllllll day. Cover 2 eats up the people that don't know what they're doing. They'll throw 12 INT's, half returned for TD's. However, if it's a person that knows what they're doing, they'll burn the cover 2 every play for some huge gains.

My best advice for you is the get good at manually playing pass coverage. There's nothing that irks me more than losing because someone can run the football on me. Because of this, I play a 4-6 defense and control the FS. If I see run, I attack with the FS, that means 9 guys in the box, no one ever runs against me (plus the fact that you can fill holes much better than the retarded AI and manually tackle the back in the backfield).

When they decide to pass, if they're not very good at disguising what they do, you can eat them up. Most players leave it pretty obvious as to which WR they're looking at. If one of the RB's runs a circle route, 19 times out of 20 it's going to him. Same for slants and TE corners. If they go 3 wide (play nickel strong) and watch the corners. One of my favorite things to do against n00bs when they go 3 wide is pick nickel strong storm (which blitzes an assload of guys) and control the ILB on the side with the slot WR. He'll see the blitz and try and quick pass to the slot WR 90% of the time since both guys over there blitz. So, when he snaps it, I sprint over there and can usually get a user pick off of it.

The whole manual pass coverage thing takes some practice though, it's probably the most difficult thing to do in madden 2004. The best tip I can give you is that unlike in NCAA 2004, you need to press your pass defense button (L1 to try and knock it down, triange to try and INT it) EARLY, if you wait until the ball is right in front of you the ball will sail past and THEN your DB will do his animation. If it's a short/intermediate pass, you generally need to press it as soon as the ball leaves the QB's hands, so always assume he's throwing at the guy you're covering.

Also, take some time in the DB mini camp on all-madden to find out when you should use L1 and when to use triange, and more importantly, learn the animations for each one. For instance, if you're covering a deep ball, running in front of the WR and pressing triangle will do you no good, as he'll do the running catch animation but the WR will catch it underneath him. On a deep pass you want to get underneath and to the inside of him, so that when you press triangle your DB leaps in front of the WR. Also, figure out when you should use the R1 button to face the QB and when to avoid it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Video Games