Why Running Backs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why Running Backs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why Running Backs?

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat May 15, 2004 6:10 pm

I've been playin FF for 2 years now and have to ask....what's with the RB? I incorporated the RB strategy last year taking LT2 and Edge with my first to picks and actually wound up winning the league but after accquiring Shaun Alexander via trade later on.

My question is really, why are the RBs so important to get early? I've noticed most cheat sheets have the top 9-10 players overall all RBs. Why? Why are they so much more dominant than other positions? I know there is a thread already comparing RBs to QBs but my question is more broad. Why are the RB so superior to everyone else, and why does a guy like Julius Jones get 3rd round rank?
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Guru » Sat May 15, 2004 6:18 pm

To put it simple...

More value for your buck.

Good talented RB's are a scarcity and every team needs to start 2 RB's. In most leagues you only need to start 1 QB. So there is no need for teams to stock up on QB's in the early rds.

And there are so many good enough WR's taking them early just doesn't make sense.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat May 15, 2004 6:21 pm

Well let's take my league for example. It's 8 teams and we start:

2 QB
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
2 WR/RB

I guess with two flex spots RB are still the dominant picks but we also start 2 QBs.
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Guru » Sat May 15, 2004 6:35 pm

I would still go with the RB strategy. You can start 2 RB's in your flex positions, so you really want to stock up on them early.

Also since your league only has 8 teams, getting a good starting QB won't be a problem. My cheat-sheet has 9 solid QB's this year. Just make sure to get at least one of the top 9 QB's before they are all gone. If you decide to wait for a QB make sure you get a solid #2 QB by drafting him before the other owners go after there #2 QB's That should even things out with your QB's with the other teams. But since your RB core with be so good, your team will be very good.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby smackthefirst » Sat May 15, 2004 6:40 pm

I posted this in a earlier thread and figured id throw it in here as well. T

he simplest answer is running backs hit the point of attrition faster. In part to your theory of everyone seeing them going. but usually leagues start 1qb and 2rbs.

There are only 32 qbs so even in a 10 team league, there will be more than enough qbs to go around and you can "wait" on one.

RBs however dont have that ratio. There are actually less than 32 starting rbs because of RBBC. So in a 10 team league, 20 rbs will start every week. When you consider there are always RBBC teams, 20 picks is almost all the starters.

So as an owner, when drafting, you take a calcualted risk. You might miss out on the QB you want by taking a RB in the second round, but if you take the QB, lord knows what youll get at RB.

However, in 2qb leagues the numbers come closer in terms of overall worth for rbs and qbs. I love two qb leagues and always "try" to grab 2qbs and 2rbs with my first four picks. Of course if I dont like what im saying at a certain pick and a stud wr is there, then I may have to adapt.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat May 15, 2004 11:00 pm

Just to reiterate, it's the way most fantasy leagues are set up that create the scarcity at RB. Like smack said, most leagues start 1QB, 2 RB, 2-3WR. In real life football, there is normally 1QB, 1RB, and (I'll add) 2-3WR on the field on any given play. A combination of the fact that some teams fill their one runningback spot by committee and that fantasy leagues require teams to start 2 RBs this means that position must be filled faster if you want the guys who will be full time starters.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby aussieboy » Sun May 16, 2004 1:44 am

There's a pretty comprehensive post quite similar to this one a bit lower down. Check it out. Should answer most of your questions.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk