Special Draft Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Special Draft Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Special Draft Strategy

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat May 15, 2004 8:13 pm

I'm entering the third year of my FF redraft league with my buddies. It's an 8 team, H2H league. I won the championship both years that we have played so everyone is aiming to beat me mostly so I won't take home the prize money for the third consecuative year.

As I stated, it's an 8 team league which makes things a bit different from a normal 12 teamer. We also start the following positions:

2 QB
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
2 WR/RB
1 K
2 DL
2 DB

Obviously I'm going with RB in the first round and as defending champion I might have the option of selecting which pick I want, in which case I'd take 1st or 2nd and try to get LT but grab Priest as a nasty consolation prize. With 4 possible RB spots, should I go with 3 RBs in a row or use a different strategy since my league uses 2 QBs.

Obviously there is exceptions to this rule if somebody like Moss or Culpepper is available later than they should be, but in my style of league, should I stack on 3 or even 4 RBs really early or still grab a QB or WR fairly early?

Thanks for any input.
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smackthefirst » Sat May 15, 2004 9:52 pm

Well if youve won 2 years running you must be doing something right. My thought process in leagues like this (2qbs), is to try and get out of the first four rounds with 2 rbs and 2 qbs. The only way I take a WR in one of these rounds is if one of the top two wrs fall well beyond where they should go.

But time and time again I see teams reach for these wrs too early, making my decision easier. And since you start 2rb/wr, I would probably try to expand this idea and try to come out of the first five rounds with 3 rbs and 2 qbs. But I would make sure I take a qb by round 3, no question.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jaymz742 » Sat May 15, 2004 10:27 pm

I agree with smack to a degree. I would go 4rb/1qb in the first five. You can get a good #2 qb in the later rds. Someone like Harrington will be there. Unless a stud QB falls way far get your rbs early. I would do what ever you've been doing. If it ain't broke don't fix it. ;-D
jaymz742
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby smackthefirst » Sat May 15, 2004 10:46 pm

The only problem I have waiting on the second qb is you will get pretty much nothing for your third qb, which youll need for the byes. Thats my main reason for grabbing to qb's early.

Once I grab my two qb's I look at their byes and figure out which low tier qb (that I can grab late) will have the best matchups these weeks. Then I keep my eye on that guy and try to get him as late as I think I can.

The best part about doing this is if you get two qb's that have byes early you can trade that 3rd qb early on to someone who doesnt have a back up, and usually get more than the qb is worth.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jaymz742 » Sat May 15, 2004 10:56 pm

Nice point with the trade deal.
jaymz742
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun May 16, 2004 9:57 am

Though I've won my both my leagues, I can assure you it's not because of the draft. For example, year one my first round pick was Kurt Warner, followed by LaDainian Tomlinson and Torry Holt. Ouch.

Last year my picks were LT2, Edgerrin, Moulds, Dillon, Warner. Double ouch. I usually get screwed with players that have bad years but I always make the perfect pickups and trades that give me the edge to win. That usually is what makes me win, but the drafting part I could use a little help on..
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aussieboy » Sun May 16, 2004 11:20 am

I like to think of FA pickups and trades as the icing, and draft being the cake. It makes life SO much easier having a good draft, and then you can simply make your team all the more sweeter by addressing small needs through pickups and trades. However having a bad draft puts you automatically behind the 8 ball, and then your basically relying on others to trade with you to get out of your hole. I drafted guys like Krob, Toomer, Garcia last year as my starters and needless to say got burned by them early in the season.

I don't exactly know where i'm going with this post except to state the obvious that having a good draft makes life a lot easier for you.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun May 16, 2004 12:03 pm

aussieboy wrote:I like to think of FA pickups and trades as the icing, and draft being the cake. It makes life SO much easier having a good draft, and then you can simply make your team all the more sweeter by addressing small needs through pickups and trades. However having a bad draft puts you automatically behind the 8 ball, and then your basically relying on others to trade with you to get out of your hole. I drafted guys like Krob, Toomer, Garcia last year as my starters and needless to say got burned by them early in the season.

I don't exactly know where i'm going with this post except to state the obvious that having a good draft makes life a lot easier for you.

I know what you mean. My FB drafts always turn out to be great and then I make breakout FA's ice it. In football I haven't had as much luck with the draft so hopefully this year I'll get it right. ;-D
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bungle613 » Sun May 16, 2004 1:43 pm

I have never fully understood the "draft strategy" question. I have a strategy on who I want and where I can get them but to say I am going RB, RB, RB, WR, QB etc.. is odd to me. I can predict to an extent where everyone will go but I can't commit to taking a position in a certain round except first and maybe 2nd.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KingGhidra » Sun May 16, 2004 3:58 pm

2 QBs * 8 teams = 24 QBs including backups

3 - 5 WR * 8 teams = 32 - 48 WRs including backups

2 - 4 RB * 8 teams = 24 - 40 RBs including backups

First thing that jumped out at me is 2 QBs in an eight team league values QBs the same as 1 QB twelve team leagues. However since four more QBs start per week, that raises their value slightly.

Looking at last years stats, if you waited for the 46th, 47th and 48th WRs that would be Joey Galloway, Marcus Robinson & Keyshawn Johnson. Not great but passable.

If you wanted for the 38th, 39th & 40th RB that would be, Marcel Shipp, Antowain Smith & Rock Cartwright.

Looks like you should value RBs a good bit more, QBs slightly more and WRs slightly less.

My ideal draft would allow me to draft three RBs in the first three rounds, but the right players have to be there. Don't reach for a player just to say you have three starting RBs. If it's a choice between Westbrook or Culpepper in round three, I'm going for Culpepper. My advice would be to draft RBs as long as they are top 16 on your draft sheet, which essentially means draft a RB the first two rounds unless it's a choice between a bottom top 16 guy and a top QB/WR. If your pick comes up in round three and a top 16 RB is still available, you'd probably be advised to do so depending who what QBs/WRs are available.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk