Apparently Griffin is the leading candidate - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Apparently Griffin is the leading candidate

Moderator: Football Moderators

Apparently Griffin is the leading candidate

Postby aussieboy » Sun May 16, 2004 4:23 am

I just copy and pasted the following from fanball.com, I know it's early on in the piece but worth noting:

ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that second-year back Quentin Griffin is the frontrunner to replace Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis as the Broncos' feature back. Griffin ran with the first team at the team's recent minicamp, and his 28-carry, 136-yard effort at Indianapolis in week 16 is reportedly etched in coach Mike Shanahan's memory. The Broncos also signed veteran Garrison Hearst in free agency this offseason and selected Oklahoma State star Tatum Bell in the second round of the draft.

OUR VIEW

Griffin has elite speed, but the knock on him is his size. At 5-7, 195 pounds, he is a good four inches shorter than Portis, although only 10 pounds lighter. The minimal weight differential bodes well for his ability to take the pounding that a feature back endures, but it's still a bit on the light side. We're also not overly impressed with the fact that Griffin ran with the first team; Hearst (5-11, 215 pounds) is learning a brand new system and Shanahan wouldn't insert Bell (5-11, 212 pounds) into the starting unit at his first-ever minicamp. We'll upgrade Griffin on our cheat sheet since he is seemingly the frontrunner, but we're still ringing the Bell as our favorite to win the job long-term. Remember, both Portis and Mike Anderson rushed for 1,500 yards in their rookie seasons under Shanahan.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 16, 2004 10:37 am

Thanks for the knowledge!

It's still really early, and I'm sure everyone will get their chance with the main team. I have a feeling it's going to take a little more time for them to decide who the starter is, if there is a #1 guy instead of RBBC...guys in late drafting leagues will benefit the most by knowing who the Denver RB will be!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Shatner8 » Sun May 16, 2004 11:01 am

I still think it will be Hearst who wins the starting job
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tiki » Sun May 16, 2004 11:11 am

They say at fanball.com that griffin is gettin the startin job, we will see in the long run tho
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun May 16, 2004 11:16 am

im gonna put my money on bell winning the job by the end of the year, but I may be expecting RBBC also.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dazedncnfz » Sun May 16, 2004 12:21 pm

I'm gona say ....its too damn crowded for any of them to be a be fantasy impact this year...the all want the ball, and there all going to get it...this year may not be the year to have a Denver back...

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Sun May 16, 2004 12:28 pm

I've been saying this since Clint's departure...hard to say how it will pan out though.I'm hearing that Anderson has been saying it will be his job 'cause he understands the system best.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby smackthefirst » Sun May 16, 2004 12:58 pm

LOL. I gotta share this with you guys even though I dont know how much faith I put in it. Remember Goldilocks?

Terrell Davis - 5-11 210
Clinton Portis - 5-11 205
Mike Anderson - 6-0 230 (a little too big)
Quentin Grifiin - 5-7 195 (a little too small)
Tatum Bell - 5-11 212 (theres your starter by mid year)

A friend tried to argue with me using this as his argument as a joke, but it makes me think about it everytime the discussion about Denver rbs pops up.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun May 16, 2004 1:28 pm

Way too early to even tell... But personally I think taht Bell will win the job.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Sun May 16, 2004 1:31 pm

Personally, I wouldn't call the ONLY guy who knows the offense the lead candidate just because he is getting the first string snaps. Just me though, been wrong before.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk