Apparently Griffin is the leading candidate - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Apparently Griffin is the leading candidate

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby NittanyLions » Sun May 16, 2004 2:30 pm

I think Q-tip is too small to be an everydown back. He could be used as a change of pace back, but I look for Hearst to get the bulk of the carries, then eventually Bell will work into the system.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Sun May 16, 2004 2:35 pm

I'm liking Garrison Hearst or Mike Anderson...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Free Bagel » Sun May 16, 2004 5:06 pm

NittanyLions wrote:I think Q-tip is too small to be an everydown back. He could be used as a change of pace back, but I look for Hearst to get the bulk of the carries, then eventually Bell will work into the system.

I don't see what height has to do with anything...

You can't be talking about bulk/thickness, because he's only 10 pounds lighter than Portis, despite being 4 inches shorter. This means he's much thicker.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby NittanyLions » Sun May 16, 2004 6:02 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
NittanyLions wrote:I think Q-tip is too small to be an everydown back. He could be used as a change of pace back, but I look for Hearst to get the bulk of the carries, then eventually Bell will work into the system.

I don't see what height has to do with anything...

You can't be talking about bulk/thickness, because he's only 10 pounds lighter than Portis, despite being 4 inches shorter. This means he's much thicker.

I saw him against Indy and his advantage was being shifty, he didnt run through anyone. Thats why I dont think he is an everydown back, and that is why he is a change of pace back. When I watched Portis, he was shifty, but seemed to have more power in him.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Sun May 16, 2004 9:43 pm

I'm thinking that if any of you guys know who the featured back is going to be you may want to give Shannahan a call. He'd like to know, too. :)

I think the job is up for grabs. This is one backfield that will be decided in preseason (and early reg. season). I like the Griffin/Hearst combo for this year with Anderson getting some carries as FB. Bell will most likely be groomed to take over the Hearst role. The fact is, for less money that would have been required to keep Clinton happy the Broncos got an extremely deep bench with a ton of talent. Shanny's smiling right now. Fantasy owners are not.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon May 17, 2004 11:08 am

A couple things:

Shanahan will feature one RB by the 3rd game of the season. He does not want a RBBC approach, some coaches like RBBC (Mooch), some coaches want a feature back. Shannahan likes using a featured back. Also - he plays his cards very close to his chest, so up until its obvious who the feature back is, there will be a lot of speculation through the preseason and maybe into the first few games of the season.

Denver lost Oline coach Alex Gibbs over the offseason. He is now in ATL. Gibbs could go down as one of the best Oline coaches in NFL history, and is a huge loss for the Broncos. Maybe he entrenched the Oline philosophy in DEN before he left, but they are gonna struggle to maintain it without him - let alone replace his ability to teach on an individual basis. Basically I see this as a red flag when talking about DEN running game this yr - sure whoever becomes their feature back will probably be good - but the dynasty of great RBs in DEN may be coming to an end. Also - what does this do for ATL over the next few yrs?

Just something to think about.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ferris182 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:35 am

Interesting point Cornbread..... I may be looking towards Dunn or Duckett this year.

I think Dunn is underrated and has great hands for a RB. Duckett is a straight ahead runner w/ heavy feet.
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 18, 2004 12:22 pm

ferris182 wrote:Interesting point Cornbread..... I may be looking towards Dunn or Duckett this year.

I think Dunn is underrated and has great hands for a RB. Duckett is a straight ahead runner w/ heavy feet.

This is a bit of thread hijacking, but I will tell you to look at TJ rather than Dunn. Do a search on this topic, becuase it has been talked about recently. To sum up some points:
Dunn was a favorite of the departing coach - management would like Duckett to be the main man.
Ducket had terrible #s last yr partly due to the fact he was seeing 8 men in the box against him since Vick was injured the majority of the season.
Duckets between the tackles, smashmouth running style is the perfect compiment to Vicks speed and elusiveness - it keeps defenses quessing.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk