Cowboys QB Situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cowboys QB Situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cowboys QB Situation

Postby MeShawn » Sun May 16, 2004 7:35 am

Irving, Texas -- Quincy Carter said he's ready to compete with Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson and Tony Romo to be the Cowboys' starting quarterback.

He's also ready to compete against Vinny Testaverde or any other quarterback coach Bill Parcells and general manager Jerry Jones add to the roster.

Under Parcells, Carter said he knows the best players will play.

Carter said his job is to prepare himself for success. So that's how he spends his days.

He's doing yoga to improve his flexibility and durability. And he's already studying film of next season's divisional opponents, especially the Giants and Redskins, because they changed coaches.

And he's going to have the same coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in consecutive seasons for the first time.

That's why Carter -- who passed for more than 3,300 yards with 17 touchdowns and 21 interceptions as Dallas advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999 -- said he looks forward to competing for the starting job.

Carter figures he's never been more prepared to be an NFL starter.

"There's always going to be competition. I understand that," Carter said Friday in his first public comments since the Cowboys traded for Drew Henson in March.

"The most important thing is that my teammates expect me to be a leader, and that's what I want to do. That's why I'm working as hard as I am this offseason."

Carter made his comments at the Central Public Library in downtown Dallas, where he teamed with Mayor Laura Miller and Dallas Independent School District superintendent Dr. Mike Moses, among others, to officially kick off the 2004 Mayor's Summer Reading Program.

Carter read Gene Zion's Harry the Dirty Dog to a group of about 75 elementary school children.

"When you come to an event like this, it puts football in perspective," Carter said. "It reminds you how important life is and how you can't get too caught up in football.

"As athletes, we have to understand the effect we have on kids. If I can put one smile on a kid's face, it is important. You never know the impact you might have on a kid just by showing up and giving a few minutes of your time."

No big news, just showing that the Cowboys QB situation is up for grabs. As a cowboys fan, I don't really know who I'd prefer, Quincy or Henson. Though I'd like to see what Henson can do.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Sun May 16, 2004 9:36 am

Carter will be the QB all this season barring the tragically unforeseen.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun May 16, 2004 10:06 am

Seeing how Henson hasn't played in like 3 years, I'd give it to Quincy and let Henson get his feet wet. However by next year he should be ready, and the Cowboys have 2 1st rounders to load up and go for it all.
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NittanyLions » Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm

I would also say Quincy gets the ball this year while Henson gets back into things. Then Henson picks it up in the future
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sun May 16, 2004 2:34 pm

Drew Henson still has a year or two before earning the starting job, methinks. In the meantime, I think that it's Quincy Carter's job to lose. If Parcells and Jones bring in Vinny Testaverde, I'd imagine it would be to aid in the development of their younger QBs - only starting if Quincy starts to lose games for the Cowboys.

I haven't witnessed a single play where I've been especially impressed by Chad Hutchinson. Leave him in Europe - from what I've heard, he hasn't even been doing much over there.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun May 16, 2004 2:42 pm

I think Carter has improved big time from two years ago and I think he might have a fairly productive year for the boys; however, I still dont think he will be anything more than a number 2 or 3 QB on anyones roster this year...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Play Maker » Sun May 16, 2004 10:35 pm

I Say that Quincy Carter will be the QB for the Cowboys, for the whole year. We get to see what hes capable of doing, as he has the same Off Cord,head Coach and QB coach for consecitve seasons. Cowboys should make the playoffs again this year.
Play Maker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk