Cool article on Garbage Time - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cool article on Garbage Time

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 16, 2004 1:30 pm

"Garbage Time" is an interesting subject. I thought the GT estimates were a little low until I read it again...over 8 points with 5 to play would be pretty tough to come back from without a miracle play or onside kick.

I would be interested in an opposing story for GT for the winning team. Obviously the run game would incur major stats for the team that is up! Ricky Williams, Portis, and Travis Henry seemed to be major GT players last year. The last two I know for sure because they were on my teams. They would go from 80 yards to about 120 yards in the last 10 minutes of the game!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sun May 16, 2004 1:58 pm

I've drawn 2 conclusions from this article.

1. I think Arizona's defense will suck again. Therefore, Boldin feasts on garbage time again...maybe Larry will though...hmm.

2. Randy Moss sucks in garbage time because he doesn't feel like playing when his team is out of the game.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Pete123444 » Sun May 16, 2004 2:24 pm

it's rediculous to even consider this for a moss arguement, did y'all see who was listed just 2 down from moss?? hines ward! he never slows down on the field. this entire post is garbage i tell ya.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Sun May 16, 2004 3:38 pm

I never should've read this past the first paragraph. Considering a ten point lead with ten minutes left in regulation garbage time is ridiculous. That's a score, stop and a score. I highly doubt defenses play a looser game when they know one score from the opponent and only a FG seperates them. Trailing by fourteen or more with the entire second half left? That's ridiculous. Garbage time means the situation is basically hopeless. Any lead going into halftime means nothing coming down the stretch. Indy proves that last season during MNF.

Seventeen point lead with ten minutes left would be a lot better definition of garbage time. I think you get into trouble defining garbage time past his initial criteria of nine points in five minutes.

What that all means is, I think this article was useless because of his loose definition of garbage time. Have him rerun those numbers with my stricter criteria and we'll see who really was benefiting off garbage (hopeless) time.

This article would be meaningful if Arizona had some other player in the passing game who was a huge threat. I could see if there were an Eric Moulds on the other side that defenses concentrated on in the second half and Boldin got the one on one coverage. Remember that the common belief is that defenses stack against the pass when they have a good lead. So they were stacking against the pass and Boldin enjoyed more success? Okay.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sun May 16, 2004 11:51 pm

I'm not gonna start makin another argument, I've done that enough. You all know my stance on this kind of stuff. I do agree with KG though, how can down by 10 with 10 left in the game be garbage time? As it was already posted, if Ward is just a little higher than Moss, how can you consider this a Moss doesn't try argument? All I hear about Ward is how he is always trying hard and is such a better person than Moss. If that's true, than this disproves this thing more.
I'm gonna stop here...I'm done, no more arguments for me...

It's a good article, very good research I just don't see how some of that can be considered garbage time. I consider that a good game.
Last edited by M_Zimm_ffc on Mon May 17, 2004 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Mon May 17, 2004 12:07 am

M_Zimm wrote:I'm not gonna start makin another argument, I've done that enough. You all know my stance on this kind of stuff. I do agree with KG though, how can down by 10 with 10 left in the game be garbage time? As it was already posted, if Ward is lower than Moss, how can you consider this a Moss argument? All I hear about Ward is how he is always trying hard and is such a better person than Moss. If that's true, than this disproves this thing more.
I'm gonna stop here...

It's a good article, very good research I just don't see how some of that can be considered garbage time. I consider that a good game.

1st, looks to me like Moss is the worst in garbage time according to the stats.

2nd, I'm just F***ing with ya. I knew my joke would draw the ire of some vikes fan in no time.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Mon May 17, 2004 2:47 pm

I can see what this article is getting at, but all those calculations are a little absurd. There are way too many things influencing WR/offensive production that there is no way that these calculations are credible...
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk