Advice on 10 team fixed position league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Advice on 10 team fixed position league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Advice on 10 team fixed position league

Postby Azrael » Mon May 17, 2004 12:52 am

Both of my money leagues are 10 teams and follow this starting lineup structure. 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, K, Def/ST

In many of the mocks I've been in or seen and discussions I've read, most leagues require more wideouts and have flex spots. My question is, with only having 6 offensive starting positions, as opposed to 8-10 that you usually see, would you maybe take a stab at trying to get a couple guys a round earlier than they would normally go since you have less starting spots to fill. (e.g. Owens in 2nd round, Gonzalez anywhere in the 3rd round) Seeing wideouts like Boston, Moulds, and Javon Walker and starting RBs like J. Jones and M. Bennett going later is definitely making me think that grabbing pure studs with my first 3 or 4 can push me over the top with the limited starting spots.

What do you guys think?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

It all depends...

Postby Dreadpaul » Mon May 17, 2004 3:42 am

The answer to your query is that "it depends"... mostly it depends on where you pick and what's left on the board when you select. But it also depends on the scoring system your league uses.

However, if it's a normal scoring league, then your best bet most of the time is to grab as many strong RBs as fast as you can in the opening rounds. Do NOT expect any decent RBs to be around after round 3.

You can find plenty of articles on the web explaining why a good RB is more important than a good player at any other position. It basically comes down to the fact that there are only so many teams in the league that don't use a "running back by committee" approach and that have a back strong enough to put up some decent yards and TDs.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Gunslinger » Mon May 17, 2004 5:18 am

While draft position does play a role, generally my answer would be "yes". I've been trying that theory in several mocks (a couple here and a ton on antsports.com) and it's been working pretty well. Those were mostly in 12 team leagues, too. I'm finding it works best if you're in the middle picks. I would definitely suggest going out to antsports and signing up for some 10 team mocks to try it out first. But I think you'll see you're theory is correct.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby smackthefirst » Mon May 17, 2004 11:06 am

I tried something a little similar to this in a draft earlier this year. I basically tried to grab all my starters (minus d/k), taking the highest value at each position. I ended up here:

1)Portis
2)DDavis
3)CPepp
4)Shockey
5)KRob
6)JSmith
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Advice on 10 team fixed position league

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon May 17, 2004 11:14 am

Azrael wrote:(e.g. Owens in 2nd round, Gonzalez anywhere in the 3rd round) Seeing wideouts like Boston, Moulds, and Javon Walker and starting RBs like J. Jones and M. Bennett going later is definitely making me think that grabbing pure studs with my first 3 or 4 can push me over the top with the limited starting spots.

I have noticed this trend too. The majority of #2 RBs have serious ?s right now, and I like the idea of getting as many top players at each position as I can.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Mon May 17, 2004 7:29 pm

Cornbread,

Part of my concern is that guys going in the 2nd-early 3rd round like Taylor, Henry, Faulk, S. Davis, and Barber are "the safe picks" that may not be so safe. My problem with these guys is that they are going in the 2nd round because of what they did last year and are more likely not to do as well as last year because of either their age/injuries or their upcoming situation.

I'm not sold on Rudi either because of Cinci draftin Perry, why would you do that when you need help on D and have a perfectly healthy, young runningback that did well the previous year.

I haven't decided about D. Davis or Barlow either.

I just think there is alot more depth at the RB position this year than in recent history.

Was hoping I could get some other opinions on that as well as my limited starting positions being a good idea for trying this out or not.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Flux » Mon May 17, 2004 8:34 pm

I think a lot depends on draft position, but in the recent mocks i have been doing some good 2nd RBs have been falling to the 2nd and even 3rd round.

In my latest mock that is still going on, i took Priest #1, then got Hines and CJ with rds 2 and 3, and picked up Julius Jones in the 4th (too early? i dont know, but i think he can be a stud and i needed a back). Coming back in the 5th there still were some pretty good QBs, some good WRs, and only Gonzo had been taken off the board as far as TE's go.

At that point you have 2 very good WRs, the best RB, and possibly a very good 2nd RB as your 1st 4.

Also, mig28 who was in the draft had the #10 pick and took Moss and Owens as his 1st 2 picks, and ended up w/ Rudi and Shipp as his RBs, not bad at all.

Basically what im getting at, is you may want to jump on WRs earlier than usual b/c RBs will last longer than you think, and definitely jump on Gonzo.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk