DRAFT STRATEGIES - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

DRAFT STRATEGIES

Moderator: Football Moderators

DRAFT STRATEGIES

Postby scherber830 » Mon May 17, 2004 12:26 pm

Okay, everyone knows about the "take your running backs early" stradegy and how effective it is...but what about other stradegies?
For example, in my big money league, I have the #11 selection in the draft. Likely gone will be, LT, Priest, Portis, Green, Williams, Deuce, Alexander, Faulk, Lewis, James. Would you reach for someone like Domanick Davis or Kevan Barlow, or would you take the money pick in Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper, or Michael Vick?
Last season, I threw out the running back stradegy and took Moss, Culpepper, and Holt within the first five rounds. I relied on Barlow, Eddie George, Domanick Davis to carry the load at RB for me.
This season, I'm going to experiment with a "take the best player" apporach. With #11, I plan on taking either Moss or Culepper if they are available instead of taking a running back that isn't worth a 1st round selection.
Tell me what you think and if you have anything to add, I'd be happy to hear it.

GO PURPLE!
scherber830
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Mon May 17, 2004 12:45 pm

Moss. No question.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mack daddy » Mon May 17, 2004 1:06 pm

If you are picking 11th, you might be able to get BOTH Moss AND Culpepper/Manning. That wouldn't be too too bad. Because of possible injuries to RB's (or anybody for that matter), taking a RB in the 1st RD is NOT absolutely necessary.
mack daddy

Friendliness: %

Postby smackthefirst » Mon May 17, 2004 1:06 pm

Moss. No question.

Agreed.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby MCG321 » Mon May 17, 2004 1:24 pm

Go with Moss.

(Also, just so you know, it's 'strategy', not 'stradegy')
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Mon May 17, 2004 1:51 pm

Yeah Id pick Moss ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jkruppe » Mon May 17, 2004 1:51 pm

This is definitely the year for different draft strategies...especially if your league favors the QB...i.e., bonus points, starting 2 QB's, etc. That's because there are at least 2 full rounds of productive RB's.
Drafting #11 you could pick up Manning\Culpepper and Moss\Harrison in the first 2 rounds. And by the time your 3rd and 4th pick come around you could still end up with backs like Tiki, Henry, Bennett, Suggs, Dillon, Rudi...something like that. And then, in Round 5, you're ready to take Gonzo or Shockey, probably while other teams are looking for their QB or another WR.
Just something I'm playing around with.
Rome did not build a great empire by having meetings. They did it by killing everyone in their path.

http://www.fantasysportsacademy.com
jkruppe
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Mon May 17, 2004 3:30 pm

I'd snag Moss too...
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon May 17, 2004 4:11 pm

jkruppe wrote:This is definitely the year for different draft strategies...especially if your league favors the QB...i.e., bonus points, starting 2 QB's, etc. That's because there are at least 2 full rounds of productive RB's.
Drafting #11 you could pick up Manning\Culpepper and Moss\Harrison in the first 2 rounds. And by the time your 3rd and 4th pick come around you could still end up with backs like Tiki, Henry, Bennett, Suggs, Dillon, Rudi...something like that. And then, in Round 5, you're ready to take Gonzo or Shockey, probably while other teams are looking for their QB or another WR.
Just something I'm playing around with.

i agree with him on all his points. With DCulp and Moss/Harrison you are golden. I wouldnt waste a 1st round pick, on say Kevan Barlow.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby scherber830 » Mon May 17, 2004 4:51 pm

Sorry about the spelling error....But yea I'm leaning way towards Moss as well with number 11. Then with our 14 team-league i'll have pick #18 overall as well and I was thinking about taking either Harrison or T.O. and just having the greatest wide receivers in the league.
scherber830
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk