Is it just me? (Rant/Comment) POLL - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is it just me? (Rant/Comment) POLL

Moderator: Football Moderators

How many leagues do you join to have the most fun?

1 Team (Im in the same boat your in fantasyfiend)
17%
2-5 Teams (like to play my luck with multiple options)
77%
5-7 Teams (can't get enough)
No votes
8+ Teams (impulsive, got more fantasy teams then i can handle)
7%

Total votes : 30

Is it just me? (Rant/Comment) POLL

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue May 18, 2004 4:51 am

Or does joining multiple leagues divide your attention, and the overral fun of "rooting" for your players?

I remember when i embraced this activity as my sole-hobby, taking something people did in casual fun, and disecting the ins and outs, the excitement combined with anxiety and impulsiveness got the better of me. About 2 years ago, i think i purchased a 3 team package from ESPN, as well as joined a money league on CBS, along with 3 free yahoo leagues with different groups of friends. Drafting was probably about the only fun I had that season, I tried to be fair to my opponents, keep the comradery and activity equal in all 10 or so leagues...but it was just to much, i did finish competitively in the leagues, but having so many teams completely destroyed the fantasy season. I didn't even know, or frankly didn't care who did well. I went into every weekend lost, with a handful of players i wanted to succeed, but since those same players were on my opponents teams in 7 of my other leagues, i wanted them to fail as well. Kind of like fantasy baseball, when you have a starting pitcher going up against a team where you also have 2 batters starting.

Needless to say, ever since that season, i ditched the idea of multiple leagues. I dont even play in 2 leagues, I join one league, completely learn and disect team by team, and get completely warped and involved in it. Not only does it make me a much better player, but adds about 100x's the importance on draft day, knowing your going to war with these select group of players this years season, and your gonna live or die with them. That competition takes your competitiveness to another level.

I can't tell you how many jerseys ive bought, and how much ive learned about certain players, just from them being on my team. I embrace them like family, and follow them to the end. Also, certain rivalries brew...as that same RB that you never get lucky enough to draft--always finds a way to put up 30+ points against you--single handedly shoving a big L up your backside every 7th week you face the lucky bastard who drafted him before you... this is what makes joining 1 league and 1 league only, a million times better then anything else. I only join one league every season now, across all 3 major sports (basketball, baseball, football) and it just makes the hobby or in my case way-of-life more enjoyable.

Whose with me on this?

I see so many people here talking about 2 or 3 leagues they've joined, and still seeking membership in more leagues. how the *(&*( do you do it?
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 18, 2004 5:11 am

I agree with you fiend. I think participating in only 1 league is probably the best way to play fantasy. However this season i'll probably be in about 3.

1) Normal free yahoo league with my buddies.

2)Keeper League

3) Dynasty League

Despite this, i still believe participating in only 1 league is the MOST fun, since you live and die by your teams performance that week. Like you said you put all your effort into doing as well you can in that one team. It can get a bit wierd if you have too many teams, for example if you have Culpepper in one league but are up against a team that has Culpepper in another league do you want him to do well or not?

Usually people who participate in a lot of leagues try harder in some than they do in the others. This can be viewed as unfair to the other teams in the league that you're not trying as hard in.

Imagine participating in only one league and it's a dynasty league, you would really feel like you "own" the players and you would root for them all the more.

Having gone on my little "one team is best" tirade i would just like to say i will never participate in just one league, my thirst for FF is too much for one league to be able to quench.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Tue May 18, 2004 5:20 am

Valid points. I'm like aussieboy, though. I can't cut back. :)

Have you tried college FF? It's becoming more popular and would at least let you play two teams if you wanted.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue May 18, 2004 5:38 am

college FF?

is it where you pick a certain teams WR Corp. another teams RB Corp. ... etc?

or does the league play like the NFL fantasy...where you pick position by position?

i know due to licensing, you can't get the college players names, but you can do a # and position...kind of like the video games.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pete123444 » Tue May 18, 2004 6:08 am

I'll be in about 15-20 leagues this year. I actually turned a profit last year with 15 teams. But I'm retired so I have more time than the average guy.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Tue May 18, 2004 6:55 am

This year I am involved in about 5 leagues but each is a little different

1) $$$ league with my friends

2) Cafe brethren league with the guys here Keeper w/ IDP

3) Guys I play F baseball with run a simple keeper league

4) Auction dynasty league my man Slow is starting

5) Coordinate things in the Cafe's expert league against other sites with help from other guys here
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mig28 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:07 am

I think aussie inadvertently makes a good point with his list of leagues.
If you participate in more than one, but they are of different types (re-draft, keeper, dynasty), then your approach to each must be a little different. Subsequently, you should be able to maintain a unique interest in each.
Unless you plan on drafting from only one NFL squad, your loyalties will be divided no matter how many leagues you participate in...sooner or later, your FF defense or hometown favorite is going to go up against a player on your roster. That's just the nature of the beast.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby slowkidz » Tue May 18, 2004 7:08 am

ugh...i've actually cut back a lil, but still gained responsibility. what was i thinking? lol

1) Commish small 10 team redraft lg for family/friends - all bragging rights

2) Current Champeen of GBFFL - IDP/Keeper Lg here at the Cafe

3) Participate in BudBowl - another Cafe Keeper Lg

4) Commish of Auction/Dynasty Lg - Veterans' Xpert Lg here at the Cafe

5) Assist with Cafe's Expert Team in HafaX along with Kash

I've already had to drop out of two other leagues after spreading myself too thin. Ya gotta make priorities ya know. lol
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:14 am

I will be doing 4 leagues this year:

1) My local $$$ league

2) The Khronic Keeper League w/ cafe folks (commished by VHawk)

3) The Monster Island Keeper League w/ cafe folks (commished by KG)

4) The Drunken Keeper League w/ cafe folks (commished by yours truly)

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Tue May 18, 2004 7:21 am

fantasyfiend wrote:college FF?

is it where you pick a certain teams WR Corp. another teams RB Corp. ... etc?

or does the league play like the NFL fantasy...where you pick position by position?

i know due to licensing, you can't get the college players names, but you can do a # and position...kind of like the video games.

The one I saw was a position by position (Zealot Field). I really liked the setup. You picked your main school and automatically got 10 keepers from them plus their defense/ST (it was a 45 man roster). It used the names so apparently they don't worry too much about the licensing. I'm sure if there was a crackdown they would just use the numbers as you mentioned. I almost signed up but it seemed like a ton of work compared to the NFL leagues that I can run with one keyboard tied behind my back.

I also agree with the above statements that different types of leagues help. I find that I enjoy managing my struggling dynasty team (that I took over - I would never have drafted such a team :) ) more than I do my keeper teams that are solid (LT/Portis and Vick/LT/Moss).
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk