Duce Staley - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Duce Staley

Moderator: Football Moderators

Duce Staley

Postby vt700guy » Tue May 18, 2004 9:40 am

First, allow me to introduce my self, I'v been lurking for a while now, and finally decided to create an account.
How do you guys have Duce Staley ranked?
I am a Pittsburgh fan, and I really like the possibilities with him there, but I don't want to reach for him becaus of my "Steel Curtain Colored Glasses"
vt700guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 18, 2004 9:49 am

Welcome to the Cafe.

I have earmarked Duce as one of those guys that you probably be able to draft in the middle rounds but will end up producing like a 2nd rounder. He will be the starter in Pitt, Bettis has accepted a pay cut, which essentially means he has accepted a reduced role in the offense. Sure Bettis may steal some carries and some goal line TDs, but Duce is no doubt da man. I think he'll finish the season as a top 15 back, and will be very serviceable to fantasy teams as a #2RB.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Duce Staley

Postby maddog60 » Tue May 18, 2004 9:52 am

vt700guy wrote:First, allow me to introduce my self, I'v been lurking for a while now, and finally decided to create an account.
How do you guys have Duce Staley ranked?
I am a Pittsburgh fan, and I really like the possibilities with him there, but I don't want to reach for him becaus of my "Steel Curtain Colored Glasses"

Deep leagues (like 16 teams) he's a #2 RB. 12 or les, he's great for a #3 in my opinion. Being an Eagles fan I'm probably a bit higher on him than most people, but I've also probably watched him play more. He still runs through people, but he's also a receiving RB. I'd been saying since it was apparent Duce wouldnt get resigned that Pitt. would be a great fit for him, and I think he'll be a featured back again there. If your league awards RBs for receptions his value goes up a little more.

I'm guessing 1200+ rushing, 500+ passing yards, not so many TDs though maybe only 6-8 as Bettis will still probably see goalline action, and there are enough WR threats to get the passing TDs. Then again if Pittsburgh's offense comes together, this could be Staley's best year of his career.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby vt700guy » Tue May 18, 2004 10:03 am

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's high on him. Being a Steeler fan I was afraid I was being a little biased. I'm in a 12 team keeper league with standard yahoo scoring, and I'm keeping Travis Henry and Marshall Faulk. I think I just might take a look at Duce as my 3rd RB.
vt700guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby pmix » Tue May 18, 2004 11:17 am

I look at Duce being a cheap #3 in my auction league. Means I can spend the big money on a Studly receiver and Top QB. Oh, my team will be awesome this year, cause i have A Green locked in at a cheap rate as well.
I'M A CERTIFIED 'SPECIAL MASTER'
pmix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ferris182 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:30 am

He's a solid #3 back IMO.
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue May 18, 2004 11:35 am

IMOHe is the best back in the league at running the screen play and Pitt loves to run the screen play. He will pick up big combo /receiving yards because of this. I like him as top 10-12 rb at the end of the year that you can draft cheap in the middle rounds.

Friendliness: %

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Tue May 18, 2004 1:23 pm

I think he could potentially pan out to be a great pickup - but I don't know about getting him cheap. Just about everybody that doesn't have him as a sleeper have him as a #2 because of his potential as a receiver coupled with his running ability. He's probably actually got more of a chance at disappointing because most will agree that, QB aside, there aren't many glaring problems with the Steelers' offensive unit, and afterall, this is Duce Staly we're talking about. He showed moments of excellence, and this Steelers gig is a better fit for him. I'm not saying he will fail, because I consider him a good pick if he stays around to where I'd like to find him, but I would say that it's no big secret that he's definitely capable of some big things if the cards fall in his favor.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Guru » Tue May 18, 2004 1:57 pm

how is pitts o-line going to be this year?
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KingGhidra » Tue May 18, 2004 2:04 pm

Probably a top backup fantasy RB (#3), which means he would fall in somewhere around 25-30 overall. Anything more than that would be a huge surprise.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk