Common features of a TOP 5 RB-Article - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Common features of a TOP 5 RB-Article

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Tue May 18, 2004 2:01 pm

So he spent all that time telling us what we already know.

A young RB on a good team who gets lots of carries will be a top 5 RB. Thanks. At least it justifies my rankings of Portis at #3 and LT2 at #4.
;-D

Interesting that TJ Duckett is considered a second tier candidate.

*looks back at 2003 stats for Duckett*

He had the perfect scenario the last four games. Vick was back and Dunn was gone.

17 carries 59 yards 1 TD
18 carries 74 yards 1 TD
27 carries 93 yards
22 carries 96 yards 1 TD

So on paper he had pretty good stats, although that ypc average over the four games was pretty low (3.8), but in his defense he was going up against some of the better run D's of 2003 (Jax, Carolina). I suppose he warrants another look, but he appears slow and fat everytime I look. In the ideal circumstances, I suppose he could be good by attrition ala Eddie George, but I can't see top 5. Almost every top 5 back accumulates 400+ receiving yards in addition to the rushing yards and that's not Duckett. He'd essesntially have to have a Jamal Lewis 2000+ rushing yard season to crack top 5 and I don't see that. I will reevaluate him though... hmmm...
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Tue May 18, 2004 2:05 pm

Long, yet an excellent read, thanks! ;-D

I dont agree with the Priest thing either
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Tue May 18, 2004 2:13 pm

Pretty interesting. Good post! ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue May 18, 2004 3:07 pm

That leaves us with Edgerrin James, Deuce McAllister, Shaun Alexander, Ahman Green, and Clinton Portis as the most likely candidates for the Top 5 RB slots this upcoming season.

No LT2 or Priest, I suppose the top 2 picks in every draft don't have a chance at cracking the top 5.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deftdelivery » Tue May 18, 2004 3:35 pm

Like to see the fresh analysis, but I don't agree on LT2...the man is the consensus #2 if not #1 in my book.
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dreadpaul » Wed May 19, 2004 1:37 am

Great read. Post more if you got'em.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jumpman8828 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:48 pm

I thought I'd bump this up for the sake of some people who didn't get a chance to read it ;-D
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Paladyr » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:31 pm

i liked it, well thought out, well presented... I like getting as many opinions as possible.
Go Bengals!
'06 FF Champion!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:07 am

9er Fan wrote:
Buckychudd wrote:Good article, I really enjoyed it. Thanks Aussie! ;-D

I don't see Priest not being a top 5 though.

I agree. Liked the article. Priest is somewhat of a fluke though because he has had a much lighter workload throughout his career than the typical 31-year old top-5 candidate.

Excellent article Aussie!

Great point there 9er Fan. He's only got 1419 career carries so far although over 1100 total touches with the Chiefs the last 3 years. Looks like he still has some tread left on the tires though.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:12 pm

That's exactly why I passed on Priest Holmes this year. His age combined with his small stature spell injury. Not to mention the Chiefs lost Tait, and that could affect their cohesiveness.

Plus you have to think that eventually defenses will learn to send 10 or 11 guys at Holmes when the Chiefs are at the goal-line. I don't think worrying about Johnnie Morton or Eddie Kennison should be too high on the priority list, although Gonzo deserves attention at the goal-line.

I can't count the number of times I watched the Chiefs play, and they'd get to the goal-line, and all 70,000 people in the stands knew who it was going to, but the defense was just playing a zone coverage or something. ATTACK PRIEST! FFS, I should be a defensive coordinator.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk