Just picked up my first FF magazine for '04 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Just picked up my first FF magazine for '04

Moderator: Football Moderators

Just picked up my first FF magazine for '04

Postby mig28 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:56 am

Entitled Fantasy League Football 2004 Source Book. Here's some of their "top tens" in order:

QB - Culpepper, Manning, Hass, Vick, McNair, Brooks, T. Green, McNabb, Penny, Garcia.

RB - LT2, Priest, Deuce, SA, Portis, Ahman, Jamal, Ricky, Barlow, Marshall.

WR - R. Moss, Marvin, Holt, TO, Chad, Horn, Hines, S. Moss, Quan, Peerless.

I 'm not crazy about the rankings, but just seeing these mags appear at the newsstand every spring gets me juiced for the season.
BTW, got it @ Seven-Eleven.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Just picked up my first FF magazine for '04

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Tue May 18, 2004 11:02 am

mig28 wrote:Entitled Fantasy League Football 2004 Source Book. Here's some of their "top tens" in order:

QB - Culpepper, Manning, Hass, Vick, McNair, Brooks, T. Green, McNabb, Penny, Garcia.

I 'm not crazy about the rankings, but just seeing these mags appear at the newsstand every spring gets me juiced for the season.

QB rankings aren't bad - I think Pep is a consensus go-to-guy.

RB rankings aren't anything like mine - but you guys already know how I feel on that one. The only real disagreement I have is that I don't anticipate Marshall or Ricky to be in the top 10 this year.

The only glaring problem I have with the WR list is that Horn should be bumped to the back of the list and Hines should be swapped with TO.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 18, 2004 11:03 am

Cheers for sharing that with us.

McNabb at 8th and Ahman at 6th automatically jump out at me 8-o .
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ferris182 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:08 am

I saw the mag on the newstand yesterday and I was not impressed with it.

There were no articles, no sleeper pages, no depth charts, etc.

It was all rankings and the mag was $9.00. I can get rankings for free from a few web pages.

Forget about it.
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:09 am

IMO, you get much better and much more in depth advice right here at the cafe than you could ever get out of one of those mags.

I've used them in the past, but don't think I ever will again. :-t

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mig28 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:21 am

ferris182 wrote:I saw the mag on the newstand yesterday and I was not impressed with it.

It was all rankings and the mag was $9.00. I can get rankings for free from a few web pages.

Forget about it.

Well, as I said, I'm not crazy about the content, and the first publication of a new season usually leaves something to be desired. This one is predominantly stats (going back 5 years in most instances), which is good for me when I'm at work or on the go. The best part of this is the fact that there's usually an avalanche of printed information issued around this time each year; reading/buying any of them signals the start of the FF season for me.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ferris182 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:28 am

mig28 wrote:
ferris182 wrote:I saw the mag on the newstand yesterday and I was not impressed with it.

Forget about it.

Well, as I said, I'm not crazy about the content, and the first publication of a new season usually leaves something to be desired. This one is predominantly stats (going back 5 years in most instances), which is good for me when I'm at work or on the go. The best part of this is the fact that there's usually an avalanche of printed information issued around this time each year; reading/buying any of them signals the start of the FF season for me.

I understand your excitement for the 1st publication to hit the newstand, but I just wanted to comment that I didn't think it was worth the money.
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Tue May 18, 2004 1:14 pm

ferris182 wrote:I just wanted to comment that I didn't think it was worth the money.

I agree - football isn't something that there is much that you can't find somewhere on the internet. I'm new to the cafe as it is, but have picked up quickly on how to find the best, unbiased opinions and how to sift out the hardcore fan stuff. Of course I'm the one that would print out stats and at-a-glance info before going to Lambeau instead of buying the program, and if you like having something glossy and tangible with full-color pictures next to your stats, I can totally understand the purchase of your ff magazine.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Just picked up my first FF magazine for '04

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue May 18, 2004 1:21 pm

mig28 wrote:Entitled Fantasy League Football 2004 Source Book. Here's some of their "top tens" in order:

BTW, got it @ Seven-Eleven.

Where's Bulger on that QB list? Alexander ahead of Ahman????? no way....although alexander seems to get a TD every game, Ahman is like a poor man's priest, and any comparison to preist is the next best thing to the man himself. and LOL@ hines ward behind Joe horn. Ward is probably the most consistent fantasy WR...2nd to none. although he doesn't ever really put up 35+ point games like moss or harrison will, he seems to be a threat for 100 yrds 5 catches and a TD every single week.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 9er Fan » Tue May 18, 2004 1:25 pm

One thing none of the mags (I've seen) have is a scoring system/hypothetical league settings they are basing their rankings on. To me, I'll take anyone's rankings with a grain of salt unless they are based on a scoring system.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk