Denver RB?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver RB??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ferris182 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:16 am

So stay away from Anderson.... and take a late flyer on one of the other 3 RBs?
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:32 am

ferris182 wrote:So stay away from Anderson.... and take a late flyer on one of the other 3 RBs?

Depends on when your draft is. IF your draft is before the preseason, then:

I wouldn't take Anderson at all.

I wouldn't take Hearst or Griffin as anything but a number 4 back, and only after I had 2 QB's, 3 WR's, 3 RB's, and a TE. So, no earlier than round 10.

And I would take a shot at Bell if you have a separate rookie draft and you have a pick later than number 5, but if you have rooks mixed in with vets in a regular draft, then I wouldn't take Bell until round 12 or later.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby vt700guy » Tue May 18, 2004 11:42 am

why are so many people concerned about Griffin's "size and Durability"? He played 4 seasons at OU (started 3 of them) and he never missed a game. I realize that NFL is a different level, but he playing in the Big 12 is no picknic. I just don't see why anyone would be concerned about his durability. As for Tatum Bell, he was benched at OSU last year in favor of a freshman because of fumbling problems, maybe it's just me, but I don't think Shanny will appreciate the fumbilitis any more than his Less Smiles did.
vt700guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby vt700guy » Tue May 18, 2004 11:48 am

why are so many people concerned about Griffin's "size and Durability"? He played 4 seasons at OU (started 3 of them) and he never missed a game. I realize that NFL is a different level, but he playing in the Big 12 is no picknic. I just don't see why anyone would be concerned about his durability. As for Tatum Bell, he was benched at OSU last year in favor of a freshman because of fumbling problems, maybe it's just me, but I don't think Shanny will appreciate the fumbilitis any more than his Less Smiles did.
vt700guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby NittanyLions » Tue May 18, 2004 2:28 pm

College is way different, being an every down RB in the NFL is different, you get hit much harder and much more often. You can be as shift like he did. Hes more of a change the pace kind of guy, not every down. I dont think his size is an injury concern, and I dont think thats what most are talking about, its more of a durable enough to go out there play after play

Right now, I agree with PLindsey. I like Heasrt over Q-Tip though
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vt700guy » Tue May 18, 2004 2:36 pm

If everyone was saying that he doesn't have the talent, it would be more understandable (in case you haven't guessed I believe he has what it takes) but everyone is saying that he is too small. I just don't understand that, he's only 10 pounds lighter than Portis was, and he is 4" shorter, so he definately has the bulk to take the hits. Don't take my next comment out of context, as I do not believe he is as good as Barry Sanders, but if you compare the 2 backs, they are damn near a carbon copy, and Sanders very rarely had any injuries, the shiftiness of both backs prevent them from taking several hard hits every game ie. Jerome Bettis. I don't know what will happen for sure, but when the dust settles I really believe Griffin will be king of the mountain in Denver. BTW...does anyone have any good reasons why Bell will start over Griffin? I've heard lots of reasons as to why Griffin will NOT start, but none as to why bell WILL start.
vt700guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Buckychudd » Tue May 18, 2004 2:45 pm

vt700guy wrote:why are so many people concerned about Griffin's "size and Durability"? He played 4 seasons at OU (started 3 of them) and he never missed a game. I realize that NFL is a different level, but he playing in the Big 12 is no picknic. I just don't see why anyone would be concerned about his durability. As for Tatum Bell, he was benched at OSU last year in favor of a freshman because of fumbling problems, maybe it's just me, but I don't think Shanny will appreciate the fumbilitis any more than his Less Smiles did.

Look up Troy Davis......

Played for Iowa State (Big 12 school), rushed for 2010 yds '96 & 2185 yds in '97.....at the time was the only player in NCAA history to have back-to-back 2000 yd seasons.

Went on to 446 yds and 1 TD in 3 seasons with the New Orleans Saints.

He was 5'8" 185 lbs. Griffin is 5'7" 195 lbs.

That said, I still think Griffin will do well in Denver.......it's all about the system. :-°
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby The Sandwich » Tue May 18, 2004 2:52 pm

If you take a shot at one of these guys you risk waisting a pick. Let some other schlub make the call. It is way to early to call this horse race. Although I thinnk Anderson is out of it. If Shanahan were impressed with him, he wouldn't have gone fishing in the off season.

:-?
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby vt700guy » Tue May 18, 2004 3:10 pm

I agree with the sandwich, it's probably too risky to take any of them, but if I was going to take one Griffin would be my man.

As far as the dude from Iowa state falling on his face, there's hundreds of backs that were good in college, and failed in the NFL, big and small.
vt700guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Buckychudd » Tue May 18, 2004 3:28 pm

vt700guy wrote:As far as the dude from Iowa state falling on his face, there's hundreds of backs that were good in college, and failed in the NFL, big and small.

Nail, meet head.....
vt700guy wrote:why are so many people concerned about Griffin's "size and Durability"? He played 4 seasons at OU (started 3 of them) and he never missed a game. I realize that NFL is a different level, but he playing in the Big 12 is no picknic. I just don't see why anyone would be concerned about his durability. As for Tatum Bell, he was benched at OSU last year in favor of a freshman because of fumbling problems, maybe it's just me, but I don't think Shanny will appreciate the fumbilitis any more than his Less Smiles did.

It isn't good to equate college success with NFL, especially if you're an undersized RB.

Again, I think Griffin will do fine at Denver, it's all about the system......but I wouldn't be saying the same thing if he was playing for Chicago. I'd be saying he's too damn small.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk