Denver RB?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver RB??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue May 18, 2004 3:35 pm

vt700guy wrote:As far as the dude from Iowa state falling on his face, there's hundreds of backs that were good in college, and failed in the NFL, big and small.

Ron Dayne anyone?

One note - there is a similar thread on the DEN RB situation floating around here, and I brought this up in the other one, but I didnt see anyone mention it in this thread: Denver lost Alex Gibbs their Oline coach - who went to Atlanta. Thats a red flag in the "system" theory. Im not saying DEN wont have a solid RB, but I do think the days of DEN having one of the best RBs every yr is numbered - the downfall wont necessarily happen this yr because Im sure Gibbs left with the pieces in place, but dont discount this piece of news. Gibbs is an extremely valuable commodity, who is now with the Falcons.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby vt700guy » Tue May 18, 2004 3:52 pm

I agree, the O-line situation could develop into an issue at Denver. I can't wait until this season gets started, so we can stop wondering, and start watching.
vt700guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cupertino_11 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:22 pm

If anyone paid attention to the Denver training camp two years ago, you could tell that Portis was going to be something. Shanahan or some beat writer will always give clues as to who will win the starting running back job come the season opener. Just keep an eye on it and you'll know who to take. It's way to muddy to call right now.

If you're unlucky enough to have to draft now, I'd have to take Griffin, but only as a #3 back at the highest. If you put too much weight on a Denver back at this time of the year.......just hope you have your lucky hat on.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cupertino_11 » Wed May 19, 2004 3:26 am

And to add a little more insight to this thread....

From the DenverPost..

Since Shanahan took over as head coach in 1995, the Broncos' system has cranked out 20,150 rushing yards during the regular season. That's the most by any NFL team from 1995-2003. The succession of quality backs included Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Portis. Each rushed for more than 1,000 yards in his rookie season.

But just as the Broncos are searching for a go-to wide receiver, they also are searching for a big-play running back. At minicamp, Quentin Griffin was running with the first team. The former Oklahoma Sooner rushed for 136 yards in a regular-season victory at Indianapolis last season, and Shanahan likes Griffin's quickness and work ethic. But questions remain about whether a 5-foot-7, 195-pound player can be a featured back in the NFL.

There also are questions about rookie Tatum Bell, this year's second-round draft choice from Oklahoma State. Although Bell's 4.26-second 40-yard dash made him the fastest back in the 2004 draft, he must prove he's tough enough to grind out yards between the tackles.

"I think Tatum will be a lot more productive now than he would have been two years ago," Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Gundy said. "Two years ago, he would not have been tough enough, mentally or physically. But he's come a long way since then. We put a lot of pressure on him and he responded. He grew up."

Gundy predicted the Broncos will reap benefits from Bell this season - after a few growing pains.

"If I were a betting man, I'd say by the fifth or sixth game of the season, he's going to help that team win some games," Gundy said.

No mention of Hearst as he's still nursing his injury.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:45 am

I selected Tatum Bell AND Quentin Griffin as my #5 and #6 backs.

I'm just hoping that Hearst gets benched early on and Shanahan chooses between the other two. I fully expect Anderson to be a fullback next year.

;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 19, 2004 8:53 am

Cupertino_11 wrote:From the DenverPost..

[i]Since Shanahan took over as head coach in 1995, the Broncos' system has cranked out 20,150 rushing yards during the regular season. That's the most by any NFL team from 1995-2003. The succession of quality backs included Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Portis. Each rushed for more than 1,000 yards in his rookie season.

wow - what a coincidence - those are the same yrs Alex Gibbs was their Oline coach. :-?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby smackthefirst » Wed May 19, 2004 9:38 am

Cornbread is dead on everytime with AGibbs and no one else seems to hear him. Check out this history on AGibbs, and try to convince yourself he wasn't the one responsible for Denver's running game.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/005/751/
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk