Opinions on Mock Drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Opinions on Mock Drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opinions on Mock Drafts?

Postby Gilstrap11 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:37 am

This is my first post as a member and I used you guys a lot last year for my first year of fantasy football. I made tremendous mistakes in my draft last year that basically cost my season. My first pick(#4) Mike Vick and I picked a kicker in the 6th round. After having crap for RB's I only missed the play-offs by a couple of points. I credit you guys for helping my comical line-up,and I respect your opinions.

My question is how credible are mock drafts? I'm participating in several right now and are seeing so many different outcomes. Thanks again!
Gilstrap11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:41 am

Mocks are great for seeing who you should expect to go where.

They are good for guaging where guys like Faulk, Edge, Taylor, Manning, C-Pepp, Vick, Moss, Holt, Harrison, Gonzalez, etc... should be taken.

If, when you are doing your real draft you see any of these guys slip well beyond where they normally get snagged up in a mock, then you know it is a safe bet to go ahead and snag them.

Also, mocks are good for experimenting. In my mocks I try to adopt a different strategy everytime to see how my teams end up. That'll give you a good idea of what strategies work, and what strategies don't.

NEVER EVER take Vick in round 1, though. ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 18, 2004 11:42 am

A belated Welcome!

I've done at least a dozen mock drafts this off season-mainly through AntSports. I think they are very very useful in 1)giving you some sort of insight into where certain players are being drafted and 2)giving you practice at being "put on the spot" and deciding who to draft.

Sure some teams people use mocks to experiment with different strategies and see how their teams turn out, which i think is fine, but on the most part people use mocks as if they were drafting for real. For example if you participated in a lot of mocks before last season you would've realised drafting a kicker that early is a mistake.

So yeah, do as many mocks until you feel comfortable with your drafting strategy.

Good luck.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Tue May 18, 2004 11:46 am

Welcome to the Cafe

As for mocks, i think they are great, but you do have to realize that people experiment, which could make for some interesting or unusual picks.

That being said, all those people who experiment make you better at adapting to what the draft is giving you. And how often do real drafts follow basic guidelines? So all in all, they are a very good resource and you should definitely do several of them before your real draft ;-D

(btw, take note of any scoring or lineup differences your real league has compared to the mock, this could drastically change rankings)
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Tue May 18, 2004 12:11 pm

aussieboy wrote: I think they are very very useful in 1)giving you some sort of insight into where certain players are being drafted and 2)giving you practice at being "put on the spot" and deciding who to draft.

Right on there Aussie ... there is a lot of difference between picking a top ten list and deciding on one player.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SinCity » Tue May 18, 2004 12:47 pm

I'm a little different. I dont' like doing them and don't look at them alot. I do much of my research on my own. I really only check to see who goes 1, 2, 3.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue May 18, 2004 1:01 pm

I never used mocks in the past. So i decided to give them a this season. im in Antsports mock drafts regularly. one thing ive learned more then anything else is: how to get the most out of a current draft spot. since most leagues there's no way of knowing what spot your drafting in, untill a half hour before the draft, all these mocks complete prepare you for what type of players you should be expecting, at what round...etc

there's all kinds of resources and tools for finding out the AVG player selected at what round in the draft like ESPN's, and CBSsportslines.

so for me the biggest thing is preparing for draft position, and trying different combinations to see what lands me the best team in that position.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Tue May 18, 2004 1:42 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:I never used mocks in the past. So i decided to give them a this season. im in Antsports mock drafts regularly. one thing ive learned more then anything else is: how to get the most out of a current draft spot. since most leagues there's no way of knowing what spot your drafting in, untill a half hour before the draft, all these mocks complete prepare you for what type of players you should be expecting, at what round...etc

there's all kinds of resources and tools for finding out the AVG player selected at what round in the draft like ESPN's, and CBSsportslines.

so for me the biggest thing is preparing for draft position, and trying different combinations to see what lands me the best team in that position.

Well said. The only thing that I could add is that I'm compiling as many draft orders as I can. Everytime that there has been a post somewhere either listing or linking to a draft order, I copy it into this document I'm keeping. Doing this is the best way to figure out if your 'sleepers' are really sleepers or if everybody feels that way, too. Mock drafts r0x0r s0x0rz, methinks.

(((((sorry Cuna))))))
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Gilstrap11 » Tue May 18, 2004 9:51 pm

Thanks!
Gilstrap11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Azrael » Tue May 18, 2004 9:55 pm

I love them.
1. It gives you alot of practice.
2. Gives you an idea of who you can expect to go where.
3. Let's you generally know how long you can wait to take a cetain guy.

This was all said before in different words.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk