are mags a must? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

are mags a must?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby aussieboy » Tue May 18, 2004 9:18 pm

I don't think they are a WASTE of money, if ya gots the cash then any information helps i suppose. Personally i think the information you find here, or the cheatsheets available on other websites are as good as you'll find in any magazine so i don't find the need to purchase one. But there are certain places you can't take your computer to read stuff, such as public transport, shitter, etc etc. So if ya wanna buy one go ahead, any extra information, points of view etc can only help i think.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Tue May 18, 2004 9:22 pm

Mags to me are about 4 or 5 other "experts" opinions and a nice little organized list of all of the players that I can cross off at my draft.

Some of them like Fantasy football weekly (put out by Fanball) or pro football weekly annual issues are something decent to read. They have some articles about why auction is better than draft and vice versa. Some different strategies to try depending on where you draft.

I buy FFW for a list of guys, some different ideas, and collectibility since I've been buying it for 3 or 4 years now. Did you know the A-train was the 5th ranked RB 2 years ago. Ouch!
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Gilstrap11 » Tue May 18, 2004 9:49 pm

Last year was my first year playing in a FFL and the first thing I did was go and buy a magazine filled with great information on who to pick and not not to pick. This website was tremendous to me,and my plans this year is to buy a couple of fantasy magazines filled with great cheatsheets and let people use them on my draft night.

Don't buy them.
Gilstrap11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The Guru » Tue May 18, 2004 10:43 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Yea, they aren't really necessary and the cheat sheets are usually fairly bad. However, the articles and interviews are always interesting and I bought Fantasy Guru last year and got more than my money's worth out of it despite not using the cheat sheets. It had 5 paragraphs on the top 25 at each position and 1 paragraph on the next 25, well worth my $8.

I also bought the Fantasy Guru mag last year and it had alot of useful stuff in it. I think its the best mag out there.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smackthefirst » Tue May 18, 2004 10:48 pm

Id say they're not a waste, but they're not needed either. If you've got the extra cash, the extra opinions won't hurt.

But that's all they are, other peoples opinions.

But like someone said, they're good for something to read before the season, and sometimes they do give you nice stat layouts.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Tue May 18, 2004 10:50 pm

I've never paid for a fantasy football mag.

There's infinitely more here in terms of resources, you get more opinions that, despite the mag writer's claim to be experts, are usually better thought out than in the magazines, and most importantly, all the information here is dynamic: i.e. it updates over time.

Because I don't have the time to surf the fantasy baseball site I picked up a fantasy baseball mag, and by the time I actually drafted half the info in the magazine was too outdated to be of help. With this site, the info is constantly being updated.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby DaGriz » Tue May 18, 2004 11:56 pm

One is helpful....two is wasteful
DaGriz
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby big shot » Wed May 19, 2004 1:49 am

i usually buy a few. i buy them just to read and to find out what other players are thinking. you should not buy them to make your own decision. these so called experts arent crap. i have made the mistake of letting these magazines influence my choices and was burned for it. if you can buy them and not let them influence you, and use them to find out what other players are thinking then they are a great investment
big shot
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Wed May 19, 2004 7:41 am

I think there are some good articles and some good player info in ff mags.

Usually what i do is just go to a book store, and look over them and see what they have to say and then just put them back. If something catches my eye i read it, and i look at the rankings and usually have a laugh about a few of them. But I dont spend my money on them anymore.

If you are a newbie, it may help and give you a security blanket, but other than that I'm not really game. I may buy one if its REALLY good, but probably not.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flock of seagulls » Wed May 19, 2004 7:57 am

when i first started doing fantasy, over 10 years ago, i felt that these magazines were priceless. that was before i had regular access to the internet. now i agree with you guys, theyre a fun read but the numerous websites are more accurate and more helpful.
flock of seagulls
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk