Defense in a dynasty - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Defense in a dynasty

Moderator: Football Moderators

Defense in a dynasty

Postby tareed1979 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:35 pm

What round should I start looking at defense.

Start 1 QB, 5 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 DB, 2 LB
tareed1979
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pete123444 » Wed May 19, 2004 12:41 am

totally depends on your scoring and draft position
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dreadpaul » Wed May 19, 2004 1:26 am

In my experience, people start looking for a DEF only after most individual player producers are off the board. In your league, figure that people will fill 1QB, 4 WR/RB, 4 DL/DB/LB and maybe the TE position before picking a defense... count'em up and you get 9 rounds of filling individual players before defenses will be picked. Of course, New England and Baltimore will likely go earlier than that.

Also, in a dynasty, with the dramatic shifts in personell during each off-season, a defense can quickly lose its lustre. However, a stud player will likely perform no matter what team he transfers to.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pete123444 » Wed May 19, 2004 6:03 am

umm tareed was refering to IDP's not team defenses.guys like ray lewis and rodney harrison and such.not baltimore or new england
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby slowkidz » Wed May 19, 2004 7:08 am

Pete123444 wrote:umm tareed was refering to IDP's not team defenses.guys like ray lewis and rodney harrison and such.not baltimore or new england

Yep...that's the kicker, so to speak. Drafting IDPs can get tricky in drafts. The way I approach it would be, who is the BPA, or who can theoretically score the most points each week.

I'm assuming your IDP scoring is something along the lines of 1pt per Tackle, .5 pt per assist, 3pts per Sack...etc...In a scoring system like that, the order of importance would go LB, DL, DB. The LB is like the RB. They'll get the most action on the defense. I have seen guys like Ray Lewis, Jamie Sharper, and Zach Thomas drafted as early as the 3rd rnd. IMO, Ray and Jamie are the only two worth drafting that early. There is only a handful of DL that can regularly make the sacks/tackles every game. These are your Jason Taylor's, Simeon Rice's, Michael Strahan's. Guys like Rucker, Ogunleye (contract pending) and Freeney are just under the first tier. I'd look at DL usually around the 5th round, depending on who's left on the board Offensively. The DB is good for the tackles the LBs miss and the few INTs and PDs. Your top tier guys here would be Harrison, Archuleta, and Wesley. There are about 20 DBs that could get you anywhere between 8-9pts per game. For this reason, I would look at them later. Probably around the 8-10th rnd range.

The most important thing I would recommend on IDPs is to look at the consistent Tacklers in each position. That is the "Bread N Butter" for these guys. Cats like Sacks, PD, INTs, and Fumbles are nice extras, but hard to account for week in and week out.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Pete123444 » Wed May 19, 2004 7:16 am

it's replies like that from slowkids and many others that make the Cafe #1
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 19, 2004 9:45 am

Slowkidz wrote:The most important thing I would recommend on IDPs is to look at the consistent Tacklers in each position. That is the "Bread N Butter" for these guys. Cats like Sacks, PD, INTs, and Fumbles are nice extras, but hard to account for week in and week out.

I second this. You choose IDP based on the one catagory you can pretty much count on - tackles.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk