Help me learn how to run the football. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Help me learn how to run the football.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help me learn how to run the football.

Postby aussieboy » Wed May 19, 2004 3:43 am

Thankyou for all your help on defense i have improved out of sight in such a short amount of time.

I am having serious difficulties in running the ball. Not always just against good defenses either, i have no doubt i have some flaw in my technique of running it. Can you guys teach me some tips that will improve my running game. I mean i choose the best guys and i still cant do it.

Thanks.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hayesb26 » Wed May 19, 2004 6:01 am

my #1 tip is DO NOT try to go around the ends. You will get shot down almost every time. i usually keep pounding it between the guards and center most of the time. another tip is to run most often to where your best o-lineman is. if you happen to get outside after breaking through the line, stiffarm and spin the hell out of the defense.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 19, 2004 10:07 am

Well, contrary to what Hayes said I think it's ok to try and run outside your ends at times, just don't try to force it. If their DE gets a push absolutely do NOT try to run backwards around him, you'll lose 4 yards every time. Like he said though, you usually want to run in between the tackles the majority of the time and only run outside when it's really open. If their DE gets a push like I mentioned before, it usually leaves a huuuuuuge hole underneath him.

Don't use your burst (x button) right when you get the ball. Find your hole, then burst THROUGH it. If you burst immediately you won't have time to find the hole.

Learn the spin button, that thing can get you some huuuuuge gains. Just make sure you know how well it works with your RB's agility.

Lastly, perhaps the most hidden of all tips, make the 'light juke' your friend. If you notice, usually when you press L1 or R1 the RB makes a "hop" to the side. However, if you lightly tap L1 or R1, the RB makes more of a stutterstep to the side and then gets a HUGE acceleration burst. It doesn't look like much when you do it, but for some reason it completely destroys the defensive AI in the game, and has the added bonus that the acceleration burst can often break you out into the open field.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby awwchrist » Wed May 19, 2004 10:22 am

forward momentum is your friend. follow your FB.

dont be afarid to switch the direction of the running play at the los if the defense overplays one side of the field.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UtopianHopes » Wed May 19, 2004 5:44 pm

I agree with everything free bagel says.

To add a little more. I personally, Like to do dives and counters (for over pursuits). I dont like trap plays (when guard pulls) because they often let the dt in very easily(if ether a huge gain or a loss).

One tips is if you want to rush outiside in I Formation, you should move the wr over to the other side and it give you a open space if the d in man. IF the d in zone, i tend to audible to a twin I formation pass play (which leave 2 wr on one side), because your slot wr is uncovered (just watch out for lb underneath). This help balance the passing and running attack, making you less predictable.

Second tip. Twin I formation is a awesome running formation. You force them to cover 2 wr on one side. Usually they combat it with moving a lb or the other cb to that side. Leaving less man to worry about (you should be able to detect the open space).

Third tip (Free bagel told me about this one). You can switch packages by pressing O and make your 2 string hb play the fb position and you are able to run quick dives (gaining a good 3-5yards).

Hope this helps improve your running game.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Go Vikes » Mon May 31, 2004 4:45 pm

I have the most success running with a lead blocker. I don't like singleback to run.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon May 31, 2004 5:39 pm

Follow your blockers for sure,maybe motion the TE or WR over for more blocking on that side.

Along with the spin button is the"Jiggy" button as we call it,the juke button.Sometimes when you run a sweep,you can juke back to the inside if a hole develops.

Also,I always play on wide-screen mode...better field vision of the blocks developing.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joester » Mon May 31, 2004 7:28 pm

Just use cutback plays and counters. The D usually over pursues pretty badly. Also use the pass to setup the run. The Defense's AI is so high that the play calling sequeces can make a difference. Just pass out of a formation a couple times thne tyr to run up the gut outta that formation. The linebackers will have dropped back in coverage because of the previous plays. This guarantees at least 5 yards.
GEAUX SAINTS!!!!
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:09 am

I formation, counter right (strong side) if the defense is playing man send your right wide receiver in motion, if not leave him. Money play. You dont even need to pass (if you have a decent back and line). They made Clarett the man.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Great Gambini » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:57 am

Go Vikes wrote:I have the most success running with a lead blocker. I don't like singleback to run.

Good point. The only singleback run play I like is "HB Sprint".

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Video Games