Collins Balks at GB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Collins Balks at GB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Collins Balks at GB

Postby slowkidz » Wed May 19, 2004 10:31 am

ain't that a kick in the butt...lol

ESPN.com wrote:Free agent quarterback Kerry Collins has canceled his two-day visit with Green Bay executives and, while the Packers still would like to meet with him, there is no guarantee the former New York Giants starter will reschedule.

Collins had been slated to arrive in Green Bay on Tuesday and to meet with coach Mike Sherman and other key club executives through much of Wednesday, but then suddenly begged off. It was not immediately known if Collins is close to a deal with another team, simply decided the Packers are not a good fit, or had a timing conflict.

Stalled in their attempts to acquire Tim Couch, and still eager to upgrade the backup quarterback situation, the Packers were eager to gauge Collins' interest in becoming the understudy to Brett Favre. Collins had earlier rebuffed overtures from the Packers.

Released by the Giants on April 28, four days after New York acquired Eli Manning, the top overall choice in the 2004 draft, Collins met with Oakland Raiders officials last week.

But as Couch and others have found, the market for veteran quarterbacks is soft, even for those with a resume as complete as the one Collins has constructed. Outside of the spot that Collins abandoned when he declined to restructure his contract with the Giants, there are no starting jobs.

As was the case with his visit in Oakland, the meeting with Packers officials was expected to be a get-acquainted session, one in which both sides determined if there is sufficient interest to move forward. Collins has been a starter his entire NFL career, coming off the bench just six times in 123 appearances, and it is difficult for some players to move into the backup mentality.

While the Raiders remain interested in Collins, their ardor may have waned a bit after having determined his financial desires. It is not known if Collins, 31, has any others visits planned.

The Packers have been courting Couch for more than a month but have been unable to reach a contract accord that would precede a trade for him. They also visited last week with free agent Damon Huard, a seven-year veteran who spent the past three seasons in New England and hasn't thrown a pass in a regular-season game since 2000.

Couch is reluctant to sign a deal that would keep him on the bench, behind Favre, for more than a year. There has been no progress on the Couch front for at least two weeks now and, according to agent Tom Condon there is "nothing, zero" happening in talks.

Green Bay recently re-signed journeyman Doug Pederson, 36, and he currently holds down the No. 2 spot on the depth chart. Youngster Craig Nall, who played well in the NFL Europe League last spring and is being given every chance to seize the primary backup spot, has yet to take advantage of that opportunity.

slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gilstrap11 » Wed May 19, 2004 10:42 am

There is no reason why Collins should go to GB. He should be starting in this league and not holding a clipboard.
Gilstrap11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 19, 2004 10:48 am

Tell me again why Dallas isnt going after him?

What about SF?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby smackthefirst » Wed May 19, 2004 10:48 am

Dont know about Dallas, but SF cant afford him. Actually SF cant afford anything really.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed May 19, 2004 10:49 am

Gilstrap11 wrote:There is no reason why Collins should go to GB. He should be starting in this league and not holding a clipboard.

Where?

I think the Raiders are about the only team that really need his services right now, but being 187 himself, Al Davis is incapable of realizing when it is time to put a guy out to pasture. So Gannon is gonna get the nod this year (probably).

Oh, and maybe Dallas or SF.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed May 19, 2004 11:01 am

He's better than a lot of QBs who will be starting this season, but those teams are in a rebuilding process and want their young QBs to learn the system while playing.

I think Miami or DAL should go after him. He would be a definite improvement for either team, and they both could use some help now.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gilstrap11 » Wed May 19, 2004 11:54 am

I agree Flux that he would be a perfect fit for Miami or Dallas. I see him playing longer in Miami than Dallas,because of Drew for the Cowboys. I wish the Cowboys would at least look intrested in someone,because Quincy makes me go crazy. Go get somone so Drew can actually learn something.
Gilstrap11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby thelongestyard » Wed May 19, 2004 12:09 pm

Gilstrap11 wrote:I agree Flux that he would be a perfect fit for Miami or Dallas. I see him playing longer in Miami than Dallas,because of Drew for the Cowboys. I wish the Cowboys would at least look intrested in someone,because Quincy makes me go crazy. Go get somone so Drew can actually learn something.

Have no fear.......Vinny is near..... ;-)
thelongestyard
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby arrbez » Wed May 19, 2004 12:46 pm

backup in GB? might as well just retire...

i think he would be great in miami, especially with boston and chambers this year
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Wed May 19, 2004 1:11 pm

His competition is softest in Miami & San Diego. He could have his pick of a few teams to start for if he structured his contract correctly. I'm sure Pitt would dump Maddox if the price was right on Collins.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk