Tony Gonzalez - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tony Gonzalez

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mig28 » Thu May 20, 2004 10:05 am

Plindsey88 wrote:A lot depends on scoring, too.

If you get points per reception, I think Gonzo moves up a little on the board.

At TE, there's Gonzalez, and then there's everyone else.

I took Gonzo at 3.02 in this particular MD because there's no way he would fall to me in the 4th.

Right now, I'm sitting with Hass, Holmes, Hines Ward, and Tony, so I really don't think I missed out on anything by taking him when I did.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ferris182 » Thu May 20, 2004 11:44 am

I think that taking Tony G in the 3rd rd this year is a solid pick, especially if you are in a big league.

I was in a 14 team league last year and got him in the 3rd rd. Every other team had to draft 2 TEs and roll the dice on which one they would start, and week in and week out I had Tony G.
He was very consistant last year, and those 10 TDs were great.
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WarMachine » Thu May 20, 2004 5:03 pm

I traded Gonzo off and signed both Winslow and Watson as rookies just before the news broke.

I guess I was either lucky or smart.
WarMachine
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Flux » Thu May 20, 2004 5:06 pm

WarMachine wrote:I traded Gonzo off and signed both Winslow and Watson as rookies just before the news broke.

I guess I was either lucky or smart.

Or neither if he puts up his usual numbers (unless of course you got a monster trade)
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WarMachine » Thu May 20, 2004 5:12 pm

Round Rock War Machine gave up Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE
Scottsdale Turf Hounds gave up Year 2004 Draft Pick 1.04;Year 2004 Draft Pick 5.04

The deal enabled me to do tons of wheeling and dealing. (See "Roster Ratings" section)
WarMachine
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Thu May 20, 2004 5:46 pm

mig28 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:3.02 is too early to draft Tony G although I did take him at, I think, 3.09 in a mock.

So it's OK for you to draft him late in the 3rd, but too early for me to take him at 3.02?

I never said I thought that it was OK for me to take him late 3rd. It was still a bit of a reach, but like you, I knew he wouldn't be there next time around.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Thu May 20, 2004 5:54 pm

mig28 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:3.02 is too early to draft Tony G although I did take him at, I think, 3.09 in a mock.

So it's OK for you to draft him late in the 3rd, but too early for me to take him at 3.02?

Basically the mentality you have to approach it with is if you want him you have to take him in the 3rd because everyone knows 4th round is Tony time.

I probably should have taken a WR with my 3rd round pick instead of Vick and then grabbed McNabb in the 4th. After I took Vick, I didn't like any of the RBs or WRs. I thought McNabb was head and shoulders better as a value than anything on the board. My team may not look great because I have 2 top 4 QBs but IRL I would probably deal Vick or McNabb for something.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mig28 » Thu May 20, 2004 11:30 pm

Azrael wrote:
mig28 wrote:

Basically the mentality you have to approach it with is if you want him you have to take him in the 3rd because everyone knows 4th round is Tony time.

I probably should have taken a WR with my 3rd round pick instead of Vick and then grabbed McNabb in the 4th. After I took Vick, I didn't like any of the RBs or WRs. I thought McNabb was head and shoulders better as a value than anything on the board. My team may not look great because I have 2 top 4 QBs but IRL I would probably deal Vick or McNabb for something.

Why don't you think your squad looks good? You've got top talent at each skill position that you've drafted, along with solid backups.
Vick is great trade bait; there's usually one owner in every league that just has to have him.
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mig28 » Thu May 20, 2004 11:42 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
mig28 wrote:

I never said I thought that it was OK for me to take him late 3rd. It was still a bit of a reach, but like you, I knew he wouldn't be there next time around.

I'm confused CC...how is it a reach if I know the guy won't be there at my next turn?
At that point, I had Priest and Hines, and knew I could wait on a QB. I grabbed Gonzo @ 3, Shipp in 4, then Hass in round 5. What I was shooting for was the best quality across my starting lineup. I guess if I subscribed to the "stud RB" method, Tony would have been a reach, but I just don't see it here. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Fri May 21, 2004 12:44 am

mig28 wrote:
Azrael wrote:
mig28 wrote:

Why don't you think your squad looks good? You've got top talent at each skill position that you've drafted, along with solid backups.
Vick is great trade bait; there's usually one owner in every league that just has to have him.

I guess I was just frustrated that I took A. 2 starting backs with the same bye week and 2 top flite QBs within my first 4 picks...all part of the learning process. It's not so bad I guess...having Walker, K-Rob, and Fitzgerald all as potential starting 2nd receivers.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk