Little help determining player value based on scoring - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Little help determining player value based on scoring

Moderator: Football Moderators

Little help determining player value based on scoring

Postby Trap » Wed May 19, 2004 3:42 pm

First off, I'm new to the Cafe, so.. Hello. I took a break from Fantasy Football the past two years to pursue more a more lucrative method of watching football games. I got invited into a money league at work so I'm jumping back in.

This league style is new to me as I've usually played traditional style. Based on the following scoring rules how should I rank RB, WR, QB. We start 1 QB, 2 RB and 4WR(TE not required).

PaTD - Passing TD 4 points
Plus 1 point for a PaTD of 30 to 39 Yds
Plus 2 points for a PaTD of 40 to 49 Yds
Plus 3 points for a PaTD of 50 to 100 Yds

PaYd - Passing Yards 25+ PaYds = 1 point for every 25 PaYds

Re2P - Receiving Two-point Conversion 2 points
ReTD - Receiving TD 7 points
Plus 1 point for a ReTD of 30 to 39 Yds
Plus 2 points for a ReTD of 40 to 49 Yds
Plus 3 points for a ReTD of 50 to 100 Yds

ReYd - Receiving Yards 10+ ReYds = 1 point for every 10 ReYds

Ru2P - Rushing Two-point Conversion 2 points
RuTD - Rushing TD 7 points
Plus 1 point for a RuTD of 30 to 39 Yds
Plus 2 points for a RuTD of 40 to 49 Yds
Plus 3 points for a RuTD of 50 to 100 Yds

RuYd - Rushing Yards 10+ RuYds = 1 point for every 10 RuYds
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 19, 2004 5:19 pm

Well, this is a fairly standard scoring setup except for the fact that rush/rec TD's are worth 7 points instead of 6 and the bonuses for long gains.. Given that the average player is going to score less than 10 TD's anyhow, and thus the TD change accounts for less than 10 points the entire season per player, I wouldn't say it affects scoring entirely too much.

Perhaps bump QB's down just a few spots and running QB's become a little more valuable, but generally I don't see much of a change from the norm here, and standard cheat sheets for the most part should be fine.

The bonus points for longer TD's should be pretty self explanatory. Position wise they cancel each other out. Player wise, guys like Portis/Moss get a little added value, while guys like Alexander that don't usually get long runs drop a little. In general though, this just turns big games into bigger games. Again, I wouldn't let it affect the way you draft TOO much.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Trap » Wed May 19, 2004 5:35 pm

I guess whats different for me is the bonus points for length of touchdowns. I didnt know if, since I am starting 4 WR's, if a stud WR that scores more often on long plays would rank higher than a RB who is just consistent.

When I last played it was 1 point for every ten yards across the board and 6 points for touchdowns.
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TTTBone » Wed May 19, 2004 5:43 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Perhaps bump QB's down just a few spots and running QB's become a little more valuable, but generally I don't see much of a change from the norm here, and standard cheat sheets for the most part should be fine.

The bonus points for longer TD's should be pretty self explanatory. Position wise they cancel each other out. Player wise, guys like Portis/Moss get a little added value, while guys like Alexander that don't usually get long runs drop a little. In general though, this just turns big games into bigger games. Again, I wouldn't let it affect the way you draft TOO much.

Bagel pretty much nailed it. Bonus points put deep-threat recievers, and break-away RB's at a premium, but only if they can consistently produce for you. In other words, if your stuck on who to draft or play, with all other factors being relatively equal, look for the break-out and deep-threat guys.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TTTBone » Wed May 19, 2004 5:52 pm

Trap wrote:I guess whats different for me is the bonus points for length of touchdowns. I didnt know if, since I am starting 4 WR's, if a stud WR that scores more often on long plays would rank higher than a RB who is just consistent.

Depends on what you mean by "just consistant" for RB. A consistant RB (1,000 yds, 8+ TD's), will probably still garner you more points in the long run than an inconsistant deep-threat reciever. Sure the reciever may get you a few 20+ point weeks, but you have to average this against the weeks when he gets you 0-5 points. The consistant running back gets you more league wins, which really is what it's all about, and why quality RB's are such a coveted commodity.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 19, 2004 6:01 pm

Trap wrote:I guess whats different for me is the bonus points for length of touchdowns. I didnt know if, since I am starting 4 WR's, if a stud WR that scores more often on long plays would rank higher than a RB who is just consistent.

I wouldn't put too much into it. Alexander is a RB that's not gonna get you many big gains, but that doesn't mean you should put Moss or Dominick Davis ahead of him.

Like TTTBone said, I would kind of use it as a tiebreaker. If there are two guys that normally you would have a hard time deciding between, and one of them is more of a deep threat, go for that one. I wouldn't however count on that stat to propell you to picking a player over another player you would have normally picked.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 6:09 pm

Thanks fellas. I figured I should ask. The league doesnt draft for a few months which gives me plenty of time to prepare. I always play to win and appreciate the advice. I'll make up my cheat sheets, run a few mock drafts and hang around the cafe to keep up to date. As a last resort, since its a live draft at a local bar, I'll buy a few rounds of shots and beers and put those lightweights to bed.

Friendliness: %

Postby Trap » Wed May 19, 2004 6:10 pm

^^^That was me. I just found the automatic login.
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk