Is this Fantasy Suicide - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this Fantasy Suicide

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this Fantasy Suicide

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 8:01 pm

Say you pick 9 or 10.

Would a combo of any two of these be suicide in a 10 team league. My league starts 2 RB, 4 WR.

Moss
Culpepper
Harrison
Manning

I know all the RB/RB speeches but has anyone been successful with this early round combo?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Is this Fantasy Suicide

Postby VHawk15 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:03 pm

Guest wrote:Say you pick 9 or 10.

Would a combo of any two of these be suicide in a 10 team league. My league starts 2 RB, 4 WR.

Moss
Culpepper
Harrison
Manning

Basically, yes. If you have a late round 1st round and early 2nd round pick in a 10 team league and you don't grab an RB, you'll definitely be hurting.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 8:05 pm

I definitely wouldn't be grabbing a QB in the first round of a ten team league.

Postby smackthefirst » Wed May 19, 2004 8:13 pm

I was actually in the same position in a mock over at antsports. I had pick 10. I started off taking Moss/Harrison. The draft is still running so I cant say how it finally turned out, but take a look if you want.

http://www.antsports.com/md/rosters.asp?LID=5988
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby NittanyLions » Wed May 19, 2004 8:27 pm

I wouldnt pick a combo within the first 2 rounds.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jaymz742 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:35 pm

You could do it but if it was me I would go RB with my next 4 out of five picks. You would definatly want to do your homework. Late in your draft stay sharp and alert. You will need a complete draft. This stratagey is not for the weak of heart. Put stay sharp and you could pull it off.
jaymz742
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Wed May 19, 2004 8:42 pm

If you believe the rookie RBs will be good you could try this. If you went WR WR then RB RB you would have

Moss
Harrison
Julius Jones
Kevin Jones

Sometimes though, decent RBs do fall back to you and you could take them instead

if you went with a WR and a QB

Moss
Culpepper
Julius
Kevin

So if you really believe those rookies will have good/great years its not a bad option, but it is a very big gamble.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed May 19, 2004 8:44 pm

If you have the 9 or 10 pick and Moss is there you have to take him. Then Fred Taylor would be a nice decision with your next pick. There isn't really any other smart way to play it.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed May 19, 2004 8:50 pm

NittanyLions wrote:I wouldnt pick a combo within the first 2 rounds.

Let me just say in one of my leagues in 2002 I got buried taking (Moss/Culpepper) combo. Ended up 4-10. They both had a bad year. I ended up with S. Davis and A. Smith as my RBs. I need not go any further.

I like Smack's approach. I'm in that draft. The RB pool is so much deeper this year you could potentially go Moss/Harrison like Smack did and end up with a Bennett/Westbrook/J.Jones. 10th is a really tough pick. Smack did a good job of salvaging it. Basically you know you are taking Moss and ???(Faulk/Holt/Harrison/Taylor). I mean its really a pickem and adjust your draft accordingly. If you want a boom or bust, you might even suggest taking Barlow after Moss. IMO, Barlow is going to blow up, one way or the other. I can't decide if he's going to be Jamal Lewis or Marcel Shipp this year. I don't see any in between. A safe pick is going to be Faulk or Taylor, but I think you go big or go home with the 10th pick.

Question to Mig28 for my own edification. Would you have taken J. Jones with 6.02 if I had not instead of Staley?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 8:58 pm

By looking at Smacks draft it seems if I were to try this I would definitely have to go WR/WR. A QB that early would be devastating I think. I could then go RB the next few picks and pick up a QB late. We start 4 WR's and while my RB's would be subpar I would have way better WR's. Those that went RB/RB/RB or RB/RB/QB would be hurting by starting 4 terrible WRs.

Next

Return to Football Talk