Is this Fantasy Suicide - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this Fantasy Suicide

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Wed May 19, 2004 9:00 pm

I think taking Moss and a RB would definitely be the smart way to go here.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smackthefirst » Wed May 19, 2004 9:02 pm

I actually though of going with a qb but ended on this. I think CPepp will be the best QB, but I couldnt bring myself to draft Moss and CPepp with my first two picks. Too many eggs in one basket.

Plus qb's normally slip so I still ended up snagging McNair. I just cant see picking a qb that high if you only start one.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby terpfan » Wed May 19, 2004 9:38 pm

suicide or not, 2.02 is too early for an QB.

so no, dont do it.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Wed May 19, 2004 9:40 pm

I'm not a big fan of combos.....but Moss/Harrison might be a nice strategy. Especially starting 4 WRs.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby aussieboy » Wed May 19, 2004 9:44 pm

I've tried the QB-WR combo in a mock before, the results aren't pretty. It is definately a dangerous strategy to go by. However if you strongly believe your sleepers will have good seasons, and u think you can pick them up mid draft then it might be a strategy that could pay big dividends. Big risk though.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dreadpaul » Wed May 19, 2004 10:59 pm

I was in this position last year in one of my leagues. I ended up with Moss and Owens. Sadly, Owens did not perform up to expectations so the strategy did not work for me. However, anybody relying on two studs (even RBs) will get creamed if one gets injured, so the strategy might work for somebody else.

It's been my experience that at least 1 or 2 people in the first nine picks will always take a QB or WR. If that's the case, then a stud RB should fall to you. (I recently picked 10th in a 16 team dynasty and got to choose between Lewis and Alexander). However, if Moss is still around at #10, then get him. For #11, Fred Taylor is expected to carry the ball more this year, so his yardage should improve.

If you do end up with two non-RBs in your first pick, then you've GOT to get two RBs in rounds 3 and 4.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Guru » Wed May 19, 2004 11:16 pm

I don't like Smacks team. Having those 2 RB's will hurt you. I don't think any team can be sucessful with those guys as your RB's. You got lucky that McNair slid to you. 2 QB's went ahead of him that shouldn't have.

You need to take at least one RB in your first 2 picks.

Draft strategies change every year. Last year going RB RB was the way to go. This year it's looking like RB WR is the way to go. If you can get a Moss or Harrison in the second rd then its a great pick, even taking Holt is good. If you can't get one of those WR's in the second then I would go for one of the stud QB.
Last edited by The Guru on Wed May 19, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MCG321 » Wed May 19, 2004 11:21 pm

VHawk15 wrote:I think taking Moss and a RB would definitely be the smart way to go here.

Exactly.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Is this Fantasy Suicide

Postby Crafty » Thu May 20, 2004 12:31 am

Guest wrote:Say you pick 9 or 10.

Would a combo of any two of these be suicide in a 10 team league. My league starts 2 RB, 4 WR.

Moss

Culpepper
Harrison
Manning

I know all the RB/RB speeches but has anyone been successful with this early round combo?

I actually have scientific proof that it won't work.

Last year, my first fantasy effort, I lucked out in an 8 team league and picked up LT and Deuce McAllister. Next two picks were Joe Horn and Tony Gonzalez.

I won.

The second place finisher had Culpepper, Moss, Ahman Green, and Tory Holt for his top 4.

Of course, this year might be different, as there are fewer rb's worthy of the one spot. But you need rb studs first.
Fortune favours the bold.
Crafty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Azrael » Thu May 20, 2004 12:47 am

Dreadpaul wrote: For #11, Fred Taylor is expected to carry the ball more this year, so his yardage should improve.

I'm not sure where this idea comes from. I don't know how much more they expect him to carry the ball than 350 times. Especially now they have another Stacey Mack in Greg Jones who is going to steal his goalline carries.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk